Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Prestige cardholders: the current value of points is $0.016 if redeemed for flights on American Airlines, or $0.0133 on other airlines.

The redemption value on all airlines changes to $0.0125, on July 23, 2017. This is the same value as Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire Preferred. Discussion is in this thread:

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes

If the TYP portal is not showing the lowest fares you've identified on Google, an OTA, or the airline directly -- call Citi TYP and then ask to get Connexions on the line. Doesn't cost extra to do book that way....but will take longer and manual bookings will NOT show up in your TYP MyTrips tab.

TYP portal pricing should be verified for every flight, it cannot be trusted to show the lowest fare. Also scroll over all the way, since some carriers are not on the main screen, and may have lower fares/points than their preferred carriers.
Print Wikipost

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2014, 4:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, HHonors Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by mia
Why not transfer sufficient points to the account which has the more attractive redemption rate? (The redemption rate is based on the mix of cards you hold.)
I think the difference comes from the ratio of pts used, the more pts you use, the closer you get to the ideal 20% off paid with all pts. Our two accounts should have the same discount if redeeming with all pts (we both have TY premier card, no other travel related such as prestige or other cards).
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT / 2MM
Originally Posted by DOUDOU1980
Thank you for your help. If I use thankyou points to book refundable ticket in UA, they will refund the thankyou points back to my account or issue me a TCVA type UA e-cert? Any one has this experience?
I was just told that chances/cancellations to a fully refundable ticket requires a $35 domestic or $50 international "fee" by Citi. Is this new/true?
Old Jul 28, 2014, 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by LAX_Esq
I was just told that chances/cancellations to a fully refundable ticket requires a $35 domestic or $50 international "fee" by Citi. Is this new/true?
It's true. From the T&C you have to accept on the booking page (where you enter name of pax):
A $50 Intl/$35 Domestic per ticket service fee will be collected by Travel Services for all exchanges, modifications, or cancellations, in addition to airline penalties and fare difference. Fee(s) will appear on your statement as "Trip Charges".
Old Jul 30, 2014, 11:59 pm

Programs: UA G
FWIW, the fee is being collected by Connexions Travel (which AFAIK, is part of Carlson Wagonlit), not Citi.
Old Jul 31, 2014, 8:38 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by unavaca
FWIW, the fee is being collected by Connexions Travel (which AFAIK, is part of Carlson Wagonlit), not Citi.
Would it be still collected if you work directly with an airline, rather than calling the Connexions to make a change?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Artemk
Would it be still collected if you work directly with an airline, rather than calling the Connexions to make a change?
No, because they would have no way of knowing what arrangements, if any, you make with the airline to change or cancel your ticket. If you want your TYP redeposited, though, you obviously have to go back through the TYP booking service.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:05 am

No, though in general, most airlines are reluctant to take control of a TA reservation until after travel has begun (and sometimes not even then, unless there are irrops).
Old Aug 1, 2014, 1:13 am

Originally Posted by unavaca
No, though in general, most airlines are reluctant to take control of a TA reservation until after travel has begun (and sometimes not even then, unless there are irrops).
I've had AA agents make changes to tickets booked by external agencies, but then again I'm EXP. I did once call DL for help with a TA-booked ticket, and they were quite helpful, but it was a paid INTL J ticket.

Virgin Australia, on the other hand, was rather pissy and unhelpful with some TA issued tickets.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 9:58 am
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Another possibility is that if your itinerary has a noteworthy schedule change, the airline might give you the option of cancelling and using the ticket value toward another itinerary entirely.
Old Aug 2, 2014, 7:09 am

UA's 1K desk (DTWRR) wanted me to go through my TA for everything up until the date of travel, even schedule changes. This was true both for Connexion (TYP) and Spirit (15% off) tickets.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 1:36 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
I just booked two RT tickets on AA for my wife and I to go to a friend's wedding in two weeks. LAX > STL, 8/15 to 8/17. Decently priced, good times, etc. It doesn't let you pick seat assignments until you book, though. No problem, there were 9+ available when I found the flight on Kayak.

Once I booked, I went to assign my seats. ONLY preferred seats. Ended up with no choice but to pay the $33/seat BS for us, which tacked on ~$150. I split it into to transactions and put it on my Prestige, so hoping it counts towards my 2014 $200 airline credit. If I'd know that, I would have changed my approach.

I'm pissed. There should be some way that is made apparent prior to booking.

They will be getting a very direct phone call from me shortly. They better comp me 10K TY points.

Last edited by roki; Aug 3, 2014 at 1:59 pm
Old Aug 3, 2014, 4:58 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by roki
There should be some way that is made apparent prior to booking.
http://www.aa.com/seatmap/viewSeatsAccess.do
Old Aug 3, 2014, 5:03 pm

That's helpful, thanks. Guess that should be part of my routine going forward.

Still I think it's complete BS that that is not evident anywhere through the booking process. Someone with my experience in the game may or should know about this, but for the masses, Citi can piss off a lot more people than they already do with this kind of nonsense.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:07 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I've had this happen a few times before with United or AA...just did not select a seat prior to check-in. Once check-in opened I'm assuming some folks got bumped up into the preferred seats/economy plus because usually there ends up being a regular economy seat available. I think one time I ended up just being placed in a preferred seat because nothing else was available and I had purchased a seat.

Hopefully you get reimbursed - I can't imagine they wouldn't, but it would've been nice to use that credit for something better.
Old Aug 3, 2014, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by mightyducksman
I've had this happen a few times before with United or AA...just did not select a seat prior to check-in. Once check-in opened I'm assuming some folks got bumped up into the preferred seats/economy plus because usually there ends up being a regular economy seat available. I think one time I ended up just being placed in a preferred seat because nothing else was available and I had purchased a seat.

Hopefully you get reimbursed - I can't imagine they wouldn't, but it would've been nice to use that credit for something better.
This is brilliant. I should have done that, but would my wife and I have been seated together?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.