Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Prestige cardholders: the current value of points is $0.016 if redeemed for flights on American Airlines, or $0.0133 on other airlines.

The redemption value on all airlines changes to $0.0125, on July 23, 2017. This is the same value as Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire Preferred. Discussion is in this thread:

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes

If the TYP portal is not showing the lowest fares you've identified on Google, an OTA, or the airline directly -- call Citi TYP and then ask to get Connexions on the line. Doesn't cost extra to do book that way....but will take longer and manual bookings will NOT show up in your TYP MyTrips tab.

TYP portal pricing should be verified for every flight, it cannot be trusted to show the lowest fare. Also scroll over all the way, since some carriers are not on the main screen, and may have lower fares/points than their preferred carriers.
Print Wikipost

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by roki
I haven't done exactly what you did, but I had ~30K TY points prior to getting my TY Premier, and when I got it, all 80K TY points (50K promo + 30K existing) got the multiplier.

All TY points in your account are eligible for the best redemption value you are entitled to.
Great, this seems like solid evidence. Did you spend all 80k in one redemption? I wonder if spending the points together made a difference. If one earned (for example) 50k points with the Premier and 50k with another card, and then spent only the Premier 50k on one transaction, would the next redemption be ineligible for the bonus?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG
Originally Posted by poemadept
Great, this seems like solid evidence. Did you spend all 80k in one redemption? I wonder if spending the points together made a difference. If one earned (for example) 50k points with the Premier and 50k with another card, and then spent only the Premier 50k on one transaction, would the next redemption be ineligible for the bonus?
To the best of my knowledge, as long as you have the Premier card as a sponsor account on your TY account, you get the benefits on ALL your points. I almost never use my TY Premier card for purchases, this is how I earn ThankYou points:

2 x Citigold Checking = 2800/mo
Citi Forward ~$700 = 3500/mo

On top of that, my girlfriend has a Citi Forward and earns ~2000 more a month. She just did a transfer of ~20K points to me, and I booked a flight for her using those points plus about 5K of mine (I had just cleared almost all my TY points out of my account into Hilton to get enough to an AXON redemption).

All that to say, I used TY points not earned by the TY Premier and got the multiplier.

You should be fine.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 3:37 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

poemadept's question has been appended to the established thread on this benefit. It is true that Citi tracks points by source, but the $0.0133 redemption value does apply to all points if you combine TYP accounts and hold one of the qualifying cards.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by poemadept
When I cancelled my Premier card, I was told I needed to use any points earned by that card or they would be lost, even if all Thank You accounts were combined. However, Citi specified that any points earned by other cards would be fine despite the account closure.

So, Citi can keep track of which points were earned on each card even if the Thank You accounts are combined.
Correct. For detailed (and current) discussion of the issues involved, see the separate thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...derations.html
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:59 pm

Programs: united 1k
I've never use the thankyou points to exchange airline tickets, can I ask what will the fair class be? can I earn miles (EQM etc)on the fair?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by buhuffer
I've never use the thankyou points to exchange airline tickets, can I ask what will the fair class be? can I earn miles (EQM etc)on the fair?
The fare class is whatever is publicly available at the time of booking. And yes, these are paid fares earning miles according to the carrier's program rules.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 7:21 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by buhuffer
I've used it 4 times and always got MQM's with Delta. 2X on companion tickets and 2X on single tickets getting the 15% discount.

Last edited by jjmiller69; Mar 22, 2013 at 8:41 pm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 6:28 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
So unless you get a manual booking agent supervisor and a 50 minute phone call, you won't get the 15% discount, but rather a 10.5% discount, and probably they keep the 4.5% difference as a shady opaque fee.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:30 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
So unless you get a manual booking agent supervisor and a 50 minute phone call, you won't get the 15% discount, but rather a 10.5% discount, and probably they keep the 4.5% difference as a shady opaque fee.
The 15% discount is a separate cash price program.

This is a 25% discount using points.

However, the general theme of your post shows a fundamental understanding of the offer.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 9:26 am

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by MDtR-Chicago
The 15% discount is a separate cash price program.

This is a 25% discount using points.

However, the general theme of your post shows a fundamental understanding of the offer.
Right, there are many different lines to take with this card

Thank you companion pass:

watch out for phantom taxes/fees
Delta not available unless supervisor involved
seems to earn DL MQM's

Thank you 15% discount

watch out for phantom taxes/fees
Delta not available (has anyone gotten a supervisor to book a DL ticket?)

Thank you points redemption

1.33 cpp value
watch out for inflated fares, but often it's correct
cannot book a minor alone even if you have another ticket on same flight from other source
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:49 am

I'm pretty sure the answer to my question is no, but my searching (such as my skills are) didn't indicate an answer to the specific question and the citi T&C don't seem to be much help.

If I have flight points earned by virtue of spending on tickets on my premier card, must the spending required to convert them to TY points also be on the premier card, or can it be to a preferred card linked in my TY account?

(In other words, I have 20k flight points banked by virtue of premier card spend on tix. I want to use my preferred to take advantage of spending bonuses. Will that new spending on preferred convert any of those points?)
Old Feb 28, 2013, 10:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by lkar
If I have flight points earned by virtue of spending on tickets on my premier card, must the spending required to convert them to TY points also be on the premier card,
Yes, Flight Points only match Purchase Points generated by the same card.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 8:44 pm
formerly known as daveland

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Delta Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Wyndham Diamond
25% discount on TYP flight redemptions for Premier cardholders [$0.0133/point]

Since when is Delta not available online? I booked DL flights on TY online 3 weeks ago...
Old Mar 5, 2013, 12:47 am

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by daveland
Since when is Delta not available online? I booked DL flights on TY online 3 weeks ago...
DL flights are still bookable with TY points.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 2:20 pm

Anyone know how sharing TY points work? If a friend has taxable TY points (from checking account thus not transferable) and I have non-taxable TY points (from CC) and premier/prestige card, once shared will I be able to book tickets from my account using some of his TY points (thus get the discount)?

Last edited by yoyo; Mar 21, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.