Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Prestige cardholders: the current value of points is $0.016 if redeemed for flights on American Airlines, or $0.0133 on other airlines.

The redemption value on all airlines changes to $0.0125, on July 23, 2017. This is the same value as Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire Preferred. Discussion is in this thread:

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes

If the TYP portal is not showing the lowest fares you've identified on Google, an OTA, or the airline directly -- call Citi TYP and then ask to get Connexions on the line. Doesn't cost extra to do book that way....but will take longer and manual bookings will NOT show up in your TYP MyTrips tab.

TYP portal pricing should be verified for every flight, it cannot be trusted to show the lowest fare. Also scroll over all the way, since some carriers are not on the main screen, and may have lower fares/points than their preferred carriers.
Print Wikipost

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2013, 7:19 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by DOUDOU1980
Thank you for your help. If I use thankyou points to book refundable ticket in UA, they will refund the thankyou points back to my account or issue me a TCVA type UA e-cert? Any one has this experience?
As per the airline fare rules, for reduction in fare on a refundable ticket, difference gets refunded to original form of payment. Hope this helps. You will have to buy a non-refundable ticket in order to get a TCVA.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 9:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, UA GS, AA EXP
Originally Posted by jeelele
As per the airline fare rules, for reduction in fare on a refundable ticket, difference gets refunded to original form of payment. Hope this helps. You will have to buy a non-refundable ticket in order to get a TCVA.
thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
If I have prestige card, does tickets using thankyou points earn flight points? Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2013, 2:32 pm

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by kunk00
If I have prestige card, does tickets using thankyou points earn flight points? Thanks!
Not if you buy your entirely using TY points.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 2:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA, AA, Hyatt, Marriott
Originally Posted by jeelele
Not if you buy your entirely using TY points.
What do you mean? If I use cash + thankyou point, I can get the flight point, right? Thanks!
Old Oct 6, 2013, 2:55 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by kunk00
What do you mean? If I use cash + thankyou point, I can get the flight point, right? Thanks!
In my experience it doesn't work this way, I paid about half of a $300 ticket with my thank you premier a while back and did not get flight points for the reservation. When I called they said you do not get flight points if you purchase any part of the ticket with thank you points.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Seeing pricing as much as $100 difference on some Int'l flights. Extremely sneaky by them and wondering if there's grounds for legal action?
Cheers
Howie
Old Oct 6, 2013, 5:07 pm

Programs: united 1k
call cs, tell them the price you found from other sites and ask for a match

Originally Posted by stockmanjr
Seeing pricing as much as $100 difference on some Int'l flights. Extremely sneaky by them and wondering if there's grounds for legal action?
Cheers
Howie
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by buhuffer
call cs, tell them the price you found from other sites and ask for a match
They refused to match will attempt to esclate the matter.
Cheers
Howie
Old Oct 8, 2013, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Cheers
Howie
For the tickets I price out at least, this might have to do with what their website says is the base fare vs. the taxes. For me, the website always shows a lower base fare and higher taxes vs. the airline website. This means that my companion tickets are always priced a bit higher than airline base fare + taxes for passenger one and taxes for passenger two.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 6:52 pm
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Seeing pricing as much as $100 difference on some Int'l flights.
This is a well-known problem that has been "solved" several times by people in this thread. Look back to the discussion starting around post #187.

Originally Posted by trek87
This means that my companion tickets are always priced a bit higher than airline base fare + taxes for passenger one and taxes for passenger two.
Companion tickets are a separate program covered in a different thread. For those tickets, nearly everyone has success getting a refund of the total price difference after the fact. For TYP redemptions, you can get almost exactly the correct points price in advance via phone, using the "right" terminology.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I'm seeing a fare difference of $1.95 on the Thankyou website versus United's website for IAD-ORD tickets on United around Thanksgiving. It isn't a huge difference, but I don't feel like paying it. I guess I'll have to call tomorrow to get them to adjust the airfare.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:18 am

Thank You Point Flight Redemption Calculation (Citi Prestige vs Premier)

I probably redeemed over 10 flights using TY points on my premier card and I think I always calculated it as the price in cash times .67 to calculate the amount in points. After they scrapped the benefits on the premier and lowered the discount to 20%, I switched to Prestige.

It looks like it works the other way where its the price in points times 1.33. Instead of the dollars times .67. Is this a new way of doing the calculation or have I been doing it wrong the entire time? Or is the calculation different for Premier versus Prestige?

"Old" Way: $300 flight is ($300)*(.67)*(100) = 20,100 TY Points
"New" Way: $300 flight is ($300)/(1.33)*(100) = 22,556 TY Points

I confirmed the math for the second method on the website and over the phone... but the rep couldn't tell me if that is a new way of doing or the way they always did it.

The Prestige site says "Receive 33% more value for your ThankYou Points when you redeem for airfare through the ThankYou Travel Center. For example: 50,000 points can be redeemed for $665 in airfare, which would typically require 66,500 points. Enjoy this benefit on any airline with no blackout dates."..... Which is the "new" method of points times 1.33.

For the Premier, it says "20% fewer points are needed when redeemed for airfare through the Citi ThankYou Travel Center...Redeemable for great rewards, including up to $500 in gift cards or up to $625 in airfare when you redeem through the ThankYouŽ Travel Center. "..... Which is the "old" method of cash times .80.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 8:46 am

The prestige/old premier calculation is a 25% discount. Another way to say it is that your TYP are worth 33% more:

300*.75=225
225*1.33=300

The new premier card is a 20% discount or TYP worth 25% more:

300*.8=240
240*1.25=300

So your calc of 300*.67 is incorrect.

Last edited by TheXMan; Oct 30, 2013 at 8:53 am Reason: on phone edited spelling errors
Old Oct 30, 2013, 2:09 pm

So was the old premier a 33% discount? I feel like I always used *.67

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.