Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Prestige cardholders: the current value of points is $0.016 if redeemed for flights on American Airlines, or $0.0133 on other airlines.

The redemption value on all airlines changes to $0.0125, on July 23, 2017. This is the same value as Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire Preferred. Discussion is in this thread:

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes

If the TYP portal is not showing the lowest fares you've identified on Google, an OTA, or the airline directly -- call Citi TYP and then ask to get Connexions on the line. Doesn't cost extra to do book that way....but will take longer and manual bookings will NOT show up in your TYP MyTrips tab.

TYP portal pricing should be verified for every flight, it cannot be trusted to show the lowest fare. Also scroll over all the way, since some carriers are not on the main screen, and may have lower fares/points than their preferred carriers.
Print Wikipost

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2011, 9:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Happy's thread reporting the official announcement of this benefit has been merged into the existing thread because the discussion has centered on the arithmetic confusion between a 25% discount and a 33% bonus which are two ways of expressing the same $0.0133 point valuation.

There is a new thread discussing members who received the announcement, but are not seeing the discount. I will leave that thread separate until the issue is resolved:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...servation.html
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:15 pm

Programs: UA, HH
So is it 100% confirmed that using TYP + cash to buy a ticket does not earn flight points?

If this is true, than I don't see much gain in the 25% off airfare using TYP -
$1,000 ticket - paying with TYP I get $250 and no flight points
$1,000 ticket - ~10,000 miles, spend $10,000 on the card - get $200 in TYP...

Comments?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Artemk
So is it 100% confirmed that using TYP + cash to buy a ticket does not earn flight points?

Comments?
I dont understand your 2nd scenario at all. What do you mean by 10,000 miles and spend $10,000 on the card?

$1,000 ticket you buy with cash, you earn 1,000 TYPs and another 1,000 TYPs from the flight points earned on this ticket paid with cash. So it is $20 worth of TYPs you would earn because TYP worth exactly 0.01 per point at $100 GC redemption.

or the $1,000 ticket you pay with TYPs which essentially only cost you $750 worth of TYPs instead of the full $1,000. (think the equivalent of GC - you only need $750 worth of GC to redeem $1,000 worth of merchandise.) That is 75,000 TYPs being redeemed, you save (or "earned") 25,000 TYPs.

Are you telling us you would rather pay $1000 to earn maximum 2,000 TYPs but would not redeem 75,000 TYPs for 100,000 worth of ticket - rather you would prefer to redeem the TYPs with GC at the 0.01 worth versus 0.0267 worth with flight redemption, because you cannot earn flight point?

What kind of logic / math you have? a preference for 0.01 worth over 0.0267 worth per TYP?

While you do not earn flight point when redeeming TYP for flights you still earn the actual flown miles as the $1,000 ticket paid by cash just so you know.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 6:58 pm

Happy, thanks for taking your time...

First of all, I do understand that I earn FF miles with the carrier, I am fine with that.

What I am trying to say, that if I buy a $1,000 ticket with TYP, I don't get 10,000 flight points, that eventually will convert to $100... So, at least it's not a $250 discount, but more like $150, if not worse...

Paying cash for the same ticket would get me 1,000 TYP for $$ spent, + 10,000 TYP for miles flown...

So 25% discount while redeeming TYP is not as good as it seems at first. I was a little more excited... Oh well...

PS. Not saying 25% off the ticket in TYP is a bad deal, we got to spend those points somehow, they are getting less and less useful
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:33 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club

Comments?
Yes, its been confirmed that you do not earn flight points when using TYP+cash. While I understand what you are trying to say in scenario 2 - you've polluted your argument by comparing an award redemption to actual purchase, i.e. earning points. The gain I see from all this is that you did not pay $1,000.00 out of pocket to get $200 in TYP and you get EQM to boot.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happy, thanks for taking your time...

First of all, I do understand that I earn FF miles with the carrier, I am fine with that.

What I am trying to say, that if I buy a $1,000 ticket with TYP, I don't get 10,000 flight points, that eventually will convert to $100... So, at least it's not a $250 discount, but more like $150, if not worse...

Paying cash for the same ticket would get me 1,000 TYP for $$ spent, + 10,000 TYP for miles flown...

So 25% discount while redeeming TYP is not as good as it seems at first. I was a little more excited... Oh well...

PS. Not saying 25% off the ticket in TYP is a bad deal, we got to spend those points somehow, they are getting less and less useful
Dont forget the 10,000 flight points require $10,000 spend to match. Flight point alone has 0 value.

Besides, anything costs $50+ earn flight points - you do not need a $1,000 ticket to earn that 10,000 flight points. I am sitting on about 18K flight points that I earned with $190 in total. I will soon earn another 40K flight points for about $161 in total. I dont see WHEN I could liberate all these flight points.

That is where your logic falls apart - because :

1) flight points can be earned in a dirt cheap way! Since it requires spend point to make it worth anything, it cannot be valued the same way as the TYP which already has a fixed value 0.01 and can be enhanced to 0.0267.
2) flight point not match with spend point is just a big fat 0. While the TYPs could literally save you some cash.

Earning flight points are not the same as earning RDM or EQM. Flight point has 0 value by itself while RDM worth money. Big difference. I will hoard RDM at a heart beat but I will never hoard flight point.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 23, 2011 at 7:50 pm
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
1) flight points can be earned in a dirt cheap way! Since it requires spend point to make it worth anything, it cannot be valued the same way as the TYP which already has a fixed value 0.01 and can be enhanced to 0.0267.
2) flight point not match with spend point is just a big fat 0. While the TYPs could literally save you some cash.
I guess it's all depends on situation. I am running low on flight points, so I was looking for a cheap way to get some more... Talking about cheap flight points - are we talking about paying taxes and fees on an award ticket with PPE?

Anyway, I definitely agree, that it is better to spend 75,000 TYP than a $1,000.00 , was hoping to make this deal sweeter...

Before I forget. Flight points convert to TYP 1:1 with $$ spent on the card. If I am out of flight points and spend, let say, $2K, a month later I spend another $2K and get 5,000 flight points, do I get all 4K flight points converted?
Old Aug 23, 2011, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess it's all depends on situation. I am running low on flight points, so I was looking for a cheap way to get some more... Talking about cheap flight points - are we talking about paying taxes and fees on an award ticket with PPE?

Anyway, I definitely agree, that it is better to spend 75,000 TYP than a $1,000.00 , was hoping to make this deal sweeter...

Before I forget. Flight points convert to TYP 1:1 with $$ spent on the card. If I am out of flight points and spend, let say, $2K, a month later I spend another $2K and get 5,000 flight points, do I get all 4K flight points converted?
Your flight points when earned ALWAYS would match with any spend points that are not used to match before.

Before I earned that 18K flight points in May, I had almost $5K spend with no flight points to match. Once the flight point posted, on that statement I had $60 spend, but I had 4920 flight points converted to TYP. And because those tickets were booked in January before the conversion in March, they went to the old TYP block which originally was to expire Mid 2012 - the new converted flight points pushed the expiration to Jan 2013. I am now holding off my spend on the card until a few months later - because any more release of that block of flight points would again push the old block to 18 months out... So I can push the 160K to near Mid 2013 if I make sure the last points not match until December or even Jan next year. I still have the airline credits from the last 2 devaluations and I really want to use up those credits first. Since we only pay for domestic flights and we dont take very many so the credits are used up very very slowly. This little discovery on how to extend the expiration of the old TYP block has been a pleasant surprise.

That is why there is NO REASON to try to earn flight points when you have spend points - you can earn your flight points ANY TIME later.

Well, sometimes you can have cheap Transcon or tickets to Hawaii that can earn you flight points quite cheap, too.

Remember, anyone's ticket you pay with your card would earn flight points so they can add up much faster than your spend point can catch up.

Last edited by Happy; Aug 23, 2011 at 8:48 pm
Old Aug 23, 2011, 11:53 pm

Originally Posted by jamflyer
Yes, its been confirmed that you do not earn flight points when using TYP+cash. While I understand what you are trying to say in scenario 2 - you've polluted your argument by comparing an award redemption to actual purchase, i.e. earning points. The gain I see from all this is that you did not pay $1,000.00 out of pocket to get $200 in TYP and you get EQM to boot.
I'm unclear about this since I keep reading about the $50 threshold. Can one earn flight points when using TYP+cash if if he spends more than $50? Or was the $50 threshold for earning TYP on all-cash flights?
Old Aug 24, 2011, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by quincyc
I'm unclear about this since I keep reading about the $50 threshold. Can one earn flight points when using TYP+cash if if he spends more than $50? Or was the $50 threshold for earning TYP on all-cash flights?
Tickets obtained from TYN using TYP do NOT earn flight points.

Tickets 100% bought/ paid with your Premier Card will earn flight points if the value is above $50. I dont know anyone would buy ticket from TYN with cash and pay with the Premier Card though.
Old Oct 16, 2011, 5:11 am

Programs: UNITED 1P
Is anyone else having problems with the thankyou.com's flight search engine? When I run a search, it lists all the available search results but without a price. And of course without a price it wouldn't let me book either. I've tried this in IE8, firefox and chrome and all have the same issue. Does it work for anyone? I've been having this issue since a few months ago. thanks!
Old Jan 20, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: AA lifetime GOLD, but still an AA Baby compare to people here. CX nobody. BR Silver.
Originally Posted by nanirina
Is anyone else having problems with the thankyou.com's flight search engine? When I run a search, it lists all the available search results but without a price. And of course without a price it wouldn't let me book either. I've tried this in IE8, firefox and chrome and all have the same issue. Does it work for anyone? I've been having this issue since a few months ago. thanks!
I have the same issue. Do I have to call to buy ticket?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:00 am

I have a question: why i can not find price in thankyou.com?
Thankyou.com

Matrix

Non-stop

1 Stop

2+ Stops

Delta Air Lines

-

-

Continental Airlines

-

American Airlines

-

-

US Airways

-

United Airlines

-

Southwest Airlines

-

-

Spirit Airlines

-

-

But in worldpoints of bank of america:

Matrix

Non-stop

1 Stop

2+ Stops

Delta Air Lines

$141.60

-

-

US Airways

$236.60

$174.40

-

United Airlines

$214.60

$336.40

-

Southwest Airlines

$238.60

-

-

Continental Airlines

$214.60

$248.40

-

Virgin America

-

$301.20

-

American Airlines

$159.60

-

-

Spirit Airlines

$67.57

-

-
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:09 am

why i can not find the thankyou price?

Now the TYP Premier AMEX offer 3% and 5%? Or 2% and 5%?

Last edited by icbkcnbjicc; Feb 3, 2012 at 6:14 am
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:52 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by icbkcnbjicc
Now the TYP Premier AMEX offer 3% and 5%? Or 2% and 5%?
You will need to provide more details to receive a useful reply. What is the exact name of the card(s) that you hold ? What is the cost of the ticket in dollars? What is the price of the ticket in TYP?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.