Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Prestige cardholders: the current value of points is $0.016 if redeemed for flights on American Airlines, or $0.0133 on other airlines.

The redemption value on all airlines changes to $0.0125, on July 23, 2017. This is the same value as Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire Preferred. Discussion is in this thread:

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes

If the TYP portal is not showing the lowest fares you've identified on Google, an OTA, or the airline directly -- call Citi TYP and then ask to get Connexions on the line. Doesn't cost extra to do book that way....but will take longer and manual bookings will NOT show up in your TYP MyTrips tab.

TYP portal pricing should be verified for every flight, it cannot be trusted to show the lowest fare. Also scroll over all the way, since some carriers are not on the main screen, and may have lower fares/points than their preferred carriers.
Print Wikipost

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2015, 12:08 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Here's another example, this time with a Delta flight LGA-MSP I am planning on booking (with cash):

Delta.com: 422.20
Thank you portal: $431.70 or 32,458 TY points

Redemption value of 1.3 cents/point
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by dw
Here's another example, this time with a Delta flight LGA-MSP I am planning on booking (with cash):

Delta.com: 422.20
Thank you portal: $431.70 or 32,458 TY points

Redemption value of 1.3 cents/point
Just to be clear, only AA/US flights are eligible for the 1.6 cents/point.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 8:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by roki
Does anyone have experience with this issue, and does calling a rep to book the flight solve the problem? Reminiscent of the arbitrary companion pass ticket price bump.
Does Citi Thankyou charge a fee for booking your rewards tix over the phone, like American Express Travel does?
Old Mar 6, 2015, 9:12 pm
dw

Originally Posted by nall
Just to be clear, only AA/US flights are eligible for the 1.6 cents/point.
Yes, I am aware of that But the redemption rate for other airlines is supposed to be 1.33 cents/point, which is not the case here because of the $9 and change mark-up.... Resulting in only a redemption rate of 1.3 cents/point
Old Mar 20, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
Citi Presige "60% More Value on AA" is a scam

Citi Prestige advertises 60% "more value" when redeeming Thank You points for travel on American Airlines. Well, I just tried to use my Thank You points to redeem on American Airlines and it's a BIG SCAM!! 60% more value compared to what? The "base price" price that they use isn't the same price you would pay if you just bought a ticket directly. Example: First class ticket on American Airlines from LAX to IAD. Price on American Airlines web site: $484.46 Price through Citibank Thank You rewards: $1,255.46 So, mark up the ticket 250% and then give you a 60% "more value" discount. Citibank's explanation: Their prices ARE higher than the prices you would pay if you bought directly from the airlines, but they have NO FEES!! I spent 30 minutes on the phone with the travel agency and we were not able to find a single ticket with the same price that you would pay if you just bought it directly from AA or Expedia or any other "non scam" travel agent.
Old Mar 20, 2015, 9:27 pm
dw

I suspect there may be a bug in the portal right now. I was able to pull up a fare listing of $484 for that route, but the portal does in fact try to charge a points equivalent of $1200+
Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by rjburns
Citi Prestige advertises 60% "more value" when redeeming Thank You points for travel on American Airlines. Well, I just tried to use my Thank You points to redeem on American Airlines and it's a BIG SCAM!! 60% more value compared to what? The "base price" price that they use isn't the same price you would pay if you just bought a ticket directly. Example: First class ticket on American Airlines from LAX to IAD. Price on American Airlines web site: $484.46 Price through Citibank Thank You rewards: $1,255.46 So, mark up the ticket 250% and then give you a 60% "more value" discount. Citibank's explanation: Their prices ARE higher than the prices you would pay if you bought directly from the airlines, but they have NO FEES!! I spent 30 minutes on the phone with the travel agency and we were not able to find a single ticket with the same price that you would pay if you just bought it directly from AA or Expedia or any other "non scam" travel agent.
I had a similar issue with Spirit Airlines and I was able to get a supervisor to buy it for me at the price shown on NK's website.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
So I called the designated travel agency for Thank Your Point redemptions and they read me the schedule we are all familiar with: 1.6 cents per point for AA, 1.33 for other airlines. But when we actually priced tickets they were either slightly or egregiously inaccurate. Next, I called Citicards customer service and got a complete run around from the supervisor.

I supposed we should all call Sen. Warrens office. She seems somewhat concerned about shenanigans by the banks.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:05 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Ex-UA Gold, Ex-AA Gold , Ex-SPG Gold, Peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by rjburns
So I called the designated travel agency for Thank Your Point redemptions and they read me the schedule we are all familiar with: 1.6 cents per point for AA, 1.33 for other airlines. But when we actually priced tickets they were either slightly or egregiously inaccurate. Next, I called Citicards customer service and got a complete run around from the supervisor.

I supposed we should all call Sen. Warrens office. She seems somewhat concerned about shenanigans by the banks.
Similar issue here. I was trying to price a first class LAX-LIH flight. AA's website and every other travel website had it at $729 nonstop. ThankYou was pricing it at $1400. So I called Citi about it and what I was told was that that is the "discounted rate" that AA is allowing ThankYou to sell it for, which happens to be AA's Refundable fare. Did some more pricing for other city pairs and got similar results. However, ThankYou's economy fares for AA are priced exactly as what you would see on the AA website for non-refundable fares. It almost seems like AA and Citi are in collusion to try and discourage Thankyou customers from redeeming points for first class seats by only offering Refundable fares (which few people buy). Seems wrong to me.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:04 pm
HGF

Programs: AA EXP
For the 1.6 cpm on AA/US, is it only for AA operated flights or do marketed flights count as well?
Old May 5, 2015, 6:52 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Air Berlin Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by HGF
For the 1.6 cpm on AA/US, is it only for AA operated flights or do marketed flights count as well?
I believe it is only AA operated flights.
Old May 5, 2015, 12:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Is it possible that those $729 Kauai and $484 Dulles fares weren't actually coded as J/F fares? Maybe some sort of Q-UP or similar? Although I'd expect a decent travel portal to be able to handle -UP fares, the TYP site has a rather primitive look and feel to it.

I doubt it's a big conspiracy...since it's just a straight revenue-based program, it seems like they'd be equally happy to sell you a $729 Y ticket as a $729 J ticket. (Admittedly, frustrating that a phone agent can't quickly sort it out and book the right fare.)
Old May 10, 2015, 1:42 pm

Before applying for the Citi Prestige...

Can you book multi-city with TYP?

Also, I'm looking at an itinerary that has AA flight numbers, is mostly AA metal and some operated by oneworld. How does TYP evaluate this?

Thank you, in advance.
Old May 10, 2015, 3:11 pm

Programs: HH Gold, SPG Gold, AA Gold
You can search the TYP travel portal if you have any TYP earning products (credit or banking). Otherwise, they do have a multi-city search tool where you can do segment by segment searches.

If you've got a UR card, you can also try their travel search portal to see what it pulls up (both use Connexions Loyalty). I've found that the prices that the TYP portal returns are slightly higher though, necessitating a call to their call center to try to convince them that their prices are higher than every other OTA shows for the same fare classes.
Old May 21, 2015, 8:09 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

The TYP redemption issue on AA has gotten worse compared to the issue I had last year. I am looking at a trip in F which is being priced at $1240, but TYP site is asking for $2303. Another trip, it is $779 in F, but on the portal it is over $1500.

It looks like they are intentionally blocking UP fares for TYP redemptions. So frustrated, this was an area where I intended to use that benefit when I got the card, but they are not being honest here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.