Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Prestige cardholders: the current value of points is $0.016 if redeemed for flights on American Airlines, or $0.0133 on other airlines.

The redemption value on all airlines changes to $0.0125, on July 23, 2017. This is the same value as Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire Preferred. Discussion is in this thread:

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes

If the TYP portal is not showing the lowest fares you've identified on Google, an OTA, or the airline directly -- call Citi TYP and then ask to get Connexions on the line. Doesn't cost extra to do book that way....but will take longer and manual bookings will NOT show up in your TYP MyTrips tab.

TYP portal pricing should be verified for every flight, it cannot be trusted to show the lowest fare. Also scroll over all the way, since some carriers are not on the main screen, and may have lower fares/points than their preferred carriers.
Print Wikipost

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2013, 8:48 am

TYP flight class

Hello, i have a decent amount of TYP that i would like to use to book 2 airline tickets on UA. Which class does citi book on? heavily discounted restricted fare? Wanted to see if i can upgrade with some united miles also.

Thank you!
Laura
Old May 21, 2013, 8:56 am

Programs: UA, HH
Originally Posted by pinkdog
Hello, i have a decent amount of TYP that i would like to use to book 2 airline tickets on UA. Which class does citi book on? heavily discounted restricted fare? Wanted to see if i can upgrade with some united miles also.
I was going through the same thing recently. Unfortunately, ThankYou.com does not show class - I spoke with an agent and she said it should. One way or another - it does not.

As far as booking codes - they could be anything. I found two ways to figure it out -
1. price the flight on airline's web site (This way I found out that the flights I was ready to book were not earning United miles)
2. call them

Of course, automatically they book the lowest price (= lowest fare), but you can call in and they will reprice the fare you need/ want.
Old May 21, 2013, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Just wondering if you used the 800# I posted. When I called it was picked up by a supervisor and I didn't go through a CSR. It's been the # I used the last 2 times (though 3-4 months ago) I booked a Delta trip, hopefully it hasn't been reassigned. I'm going to be booking again in a couple of weeks to use up a companion ticket so I guess I'll find out.
How did it go?
Old May 23, 2013, 7:35 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
I feel very good about the value that I received with this card over the past 12 months. In one year, and about $20K in spending, I received four domestic award flights (which I get airline miles for), one two-for-one domestic flights, and $125 in gift cards.
Old Jun 18, 2013, 10:51 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Citi ThankYou travel redemption - thoughts?

Has anyone else had unexpected difficulties redeeming Citi ThankYou points for travel?

I'm sitting on a whole bunch of points and tried to redeem some of them yesterday for a flight to Nicaragua. There was a very convenient flight on TACA that I wanted - Expedia would sell it to me for about $560 r/t, while the Citi travel provider wanted something like the equivalent of $750 r/t for it. I actually called on the phone to find out what was the reason for the discrepancy, and the guy said that TACA "hadn't made that fare available" to them.

The last time I tried to book a ticket with my TY points, it was to YYT (St. John's, NL). That destination somehow wasn't in their system, so it turned into two days of phone calls going back and forth with the travel provider before their IT team added the destination and enabled a booking. I ended up just buying the tickets in cash.

I'm feeling very frustrated right now with this program and starting to feel like I'm being bait-and-switched. Am I just unlucky, or is this travel provider useless? And what strategies have others used to get around this?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old Jun 18, 2013, 11:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

M60_to_LGA's question has been added to the established thread discussing this feature.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
Has anyone else had unexpected difficulties redeeming Citi ThankYou points for travel?
I bought a couple of tickets about a month ago, nothing unexpected - prices were in line with prices provided by Kayak/ Expedia. My flights were on US, LH and UA - I was actually able to select from 2-3 different, but similarly priced options, since the least expensive one on LH did not earn UA miles.

I got 3 simple tickets to CUN, and one a bit more complex multiple destination from NYC to DME, coming back from different city to a different starting point.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 2:34 am

Is there a way to get a point advance from Citi, like Amex used to do?
Old Jun 24, 2013, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by nall
Is there a way to get a point advance from Citi, like Amex used to do?
I don't believe so, but with Chase people asked to change the statement date to an earlier one, so current points post sooner.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:01 pm

Today's bad news: Citi plans to knock down the discount from 25% to 20% (i.e., points drop from 1.33333c in value to 1.25c). See new discussion at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...-existing.html
Old Jul 25, 2013, 1:49 pm
jk2

My question is regarding the cash prices for air ticket on Citi ThankYou portal vs airline website. I found an international ticket on Delta, both ITA and Delta.com show that the ticket costs ~$978, however the cash price for the same ticket on TYP portal costs ~$992. I bought this ticket using ThankYou points "for $992". This reservation now appeared on my Delta account and according to the ticket, it costs $978. I was wondering where the difference came from. I called Citi and the agent told me that that was the price Delta gave them - which is wrong, obviously. I read that Citi usually mark up their "companion tickets", but it looks like they do it with regular redemption as well. Should I complain to Citi or TYP agency?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 10:30 pm

I bought an international flight through citi for a flight on UNITED.
I was trying to change the return date on united.com and it told me i needed to call citi in order for any changes, which i did and was told they could not change the date and would need to cancel and rebook. the value left on the ticket that cost nearly $2,400, i was told would be only worth $600 minus whatever fees.

anyway i can pay a fee so i can "Take-over" the ticket and make my own changes via united?

any advice?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:40 am

Programs: All major Airlines, Hotel Chains, Credit Cards and Car Rentals
Originally Posted by flyinghigh2011
I bought an international flight through citi for a flight on UNITED.
I was trying to change the return date on united.com and it told me i needed to call citi in order for any changes, which i did and was told they could not change the date and would need to cancel and rebook. the value left on the ticket that cost nearly $2,400, i was told would be only worth $600 minus whatever fees.

anyway i can pay a fee so i can "Take-over" the ticket and make my own changes via united?

any advice?
Call United again and let them know that you are OK with paying whatever external handling fees and other change fees United charges to work on your reservation and change it as per your need. If need be, request to be transferred to a US based customer service and not one based offshore.

Kindly report back.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Avios, UA MP, AA, Choice, Club Carlson
Is the booking engine down for anyone?

I tend to be a night owl and trying searches at 0117hr PST and none of the flight searches are working for the Thankyou.com booking engine for some reason so I am either doing something wrong or maybe the website is just being updated.

Unfortunately we could not find results to match this search. We recommend modifying one of your search parameters and search again.
•Select a different origin or destination.
•Choose alternate travel dates.
•Change the number of travelers.
•Remove advanced search parameters.

Frustrating.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Higher fares for Spirit flights by TYP

Just fyi, when you use the TYP booking engine it looks like it consistently adds approx $10 to the fare. When this happened the second time I called TYP and they booked it for the fare on Spirit's website. Noticed more fares like that yesterday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.