Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SpammersAreScum
Prestige cardholders: the current value of points is $0.016 if redeemed for flights on American Airlines, or $0.0133 on other airlines.

The redemption value on all airlines changes to $0.0125, on July 23, 2017. This is the same value as Citi Premier and Chase Sapphire Preferred. Discussion is in this thread:

Citi Prestige benefit and reward changes

If the TYP portal is not showing the lowest fares you've identified on Google, an OTA, or the airline directly -- call Citi TYP and then ask to get Connexions on the line. Doesn't cost extra to do book that way....but will take longer and manual bookings will NOT show up in your TYP MyTrips tab.

TYP portal pricing should be verified for every flight, it cannot be trusted to show the lowest fare. Also scroll over all the way, since some carriers are not on the main screen, and may have lower fares/points than their preferred carriers.
Print Wikipost

TYP flight redemption: Prestige $0.0133 - $0.016/pt until 7/2017, Premier $0.0125/pt.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:32 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by Amex For Children Of Africa
Has anyone had an issue with the Citi travel agency(Connexions) booking a second flight the day before the travel date? I had a really bad experience yesterday/today, and haven't found much info on this.
Wow, please let us know what you hear back from Connexions. I've done the same thing many times (used a miles + cash copay award on AA) and haven't had any issues.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by mia
Did they book you on a different flight or did the re-book you on the same flight? Can you compare the two ticket receipts to see if the second fare was lower? I assume the record locator changed. Did Connexions send you a notification of the change?

I think you need to ask Connexions for an explanation. They do seem to have themselves broadly covered in the terms:
I will be calling Connexions shortly, as it's too late for me to get that upgrade anyway, so no rush. Like you said, I want an explanation.

Booked on the same flight, no receipts to compare, and same record locator... I received no email or notification from Connexions about the change, and only found out about it because the AA rep saw that it was booked again with the same name an hour before check-in, and because of the duplicate, the deleted the old reservation. Why they deleted my business class booking instead of the economy is another issue I should probably bring up with AA.

I don't think it's because of a lower price, because the flights from NYC-LAX are very high for last minute bookings. They may have themselves covered in the terms about upgrades, but it still doesn't make sense why they would make another booking the day before.

To say the least, I am really upset about this right now
Old Sep 9, 2015, 9:59 am
dw

I received no email or notification from Connexions about the change, and only found out about it because the AA rep saw that it was booked again with the same name an hour before check-in, and because of the duplicate, the deleted the old reservation. Why they deleted my business class booking instead of the economy is another issue I should probably bring up with AA.
Can you confirm that when your upgrade was confirmed, (a) the miles were in fact debited from your AAdvantage account, (b) the cash copy was charged to your card and (c) you received a new E-ticket receipt e-mailed directly from AA?

Just want to confirm first that there wasn't some screw up on the part of AA when they processed your mileage upgrade.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:14 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... same record locator...
AA's explanation isn't entirely convincing. I seriously doubt that a travel agent can recycle a record locator without the carrier's participation, because the record locator is AA's reference number.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by dw
Can you confirm that when your upgrade was confirmed, (a) the miles were in fact debited from your AAdvantage account, (b) the cash copy was charged to your card and (c) you received a new E-ticket receipt e-mailed directly from AA?

Just want to confirm first that there wasn't some screw up on the part of AA when they processed your mileage upgrade.
Hmm this is interesting actually. I was never debited the miles/cash from my account, but it was my first time using cash+miles so I thought they do this when you fly(that's also what a rep told me...). I never got an email from AA, but I did pick my seat in business along with my meal. And my reservation said "Business" on it so I thought it was pretty clear. I am starting to think AA might have screwed something up on their end.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:44 am
dw

Hmm this is interesting actually. I was never debited the miles/cash from my account, but it was my first time using cash+miles so I thought they do this when you fly(that's also what a rep told me...). I never got an email from AA, but I did pick my seat in business along with my meal. And my reservation said "Business" on it so I thought it was pretty clear. I am starting to think AA might have screwed something up on their end.
This has happened to me before, but thankfully I noticed it the day before because I was unable to check in online, and I called AA immediately. When AA processes mile upgrades, they actually need to re-ticket your itinerary, and a new ticket number is generated and new e-ticket receipt issued to the passenger.

Unfortunately, most people will never know anything is up because when you access your reservation, it shows as in Business/First, you can select seats, etc.

I'm not sure what happens the day of departure, but it looks like since AA failed to reticket your reservation for the upgrade, at a certain number of hours prior to departure, you were kicked back to coach, unfortunately.
Old Sep 9, 2015, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by dw
This has happened to me before, but thankfully I noticed it the day before because I was unable to check in online, and I called AA immediately. When AA processes mile upgrades, they actually need to re-ticket your itinerary, and a new ticket number is generated and new e-ticket receipt issued to the passenger.

Unfortunately, most people will never know anything is up because when you access your reservation, it shows as in Business/First, you can select seats, etc.

I'm not sure what happens the day of departure, but it looks like since AA failed to reticket your reservation for the upgrade, at a certain number of hours prior to departure, you were kicked back to coach, unfortunately.
Looks like that's exactly what happened.

Just got off with Connexions, and they said it was 100% not them, and they see AA headquarters has downgraded me. They did see the ticket get cancelled and rebooked, but none of it was on their end. Can AA do anything for me now? Business class is now fully booked on the flight. I guess I will give AA a call soon...

Next time I guess when I am upgraded, I should ask for the reissued ticket immediately. They said after check-in was too late.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: AA
I apologize if this is the wrong place for this, but I've searched extensively and can't find this information presented conclusively.

I'm considering booking a Marriott hotel through the Citi ThankYou Travel portal, using ThankYou points. There doesn't seem to be anywhere to put in my Marriott loyalty number. Can I do this after the fact? (I'm reluctant to simply book and find out, since I assume these count as prepaid nonrefundable reservations.)

On a similar note, if I booked through the ThankYou Travel portal using cash rather than points, is there any difference at all to the experience (in terms of using my own loyalty account, refund policy, etc.) other than the payment method?

I wouldn't even be considering this but the cheapest rate on Citi's site is noticeably cheaper than the cheapest rate on Marriott's site. It's a different bed type so I can't use Marriott's price guarantee, but I figured I'd look into this. Nearly all the TYP discussion on FT is about booking flights and I can't find much information/experiences about hotels.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:11 pm
mia

This thread in the Marriott forum suggests that bookings made through third party sites are excluded from earning reward points and elite credit. This doesn't have to do with the method of payment, but rather how the reservation is made:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...oking-com.html

I suggest you research in the Marriott forum how closely Marriott practice adheres to this policy.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 5:14 am

Apologies if this has been asked--couldn't find info. Does a cash copay with the Prestige card on a TY points booking activate the air travel credit?
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by jedck
Apologies if this has been asked--couldn't find info. Does a cash copay with the Prestige card on a TY points booking activate the air travel credit?
Doesn't seem to. I put 270$ of the remainder for TYP flight redemption on my prestige, and didn't get it reimbursed. I called and I thought thr agent approves it, but the sent a letter the next month denying it.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA - EP, Marriott - PP
Perhaps this is already known regarding using TYP's for AA flights, but I just learned this since I've always booked legacy US Airway flights. If you book an AA flight using TYP's, the trip receipt on AA's website shows a fare of zero. This is in stark contrast to a US Air flight, where the trip receipt would show the equivalent TYP fare in dollars. The only way to get the equivalent fare in dollars for an AA redemption now (and perhaps always for AA legacy?) is to call Citi TYP and request a cash quote for the redemption.
Old Nov 7, 2015, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA
Has anyone ever managed to upfare an AA ticket purchased with ThankYou points? I assume there's no way to get the TYP Travel site to show different fare classes (at least I haven't found any way to do so) but is there any way to upfare after the fact via AA?

(I imagine not.)
Old Nov 22, 2015, 12:21 am

Anyone booked any flight using TY points on Citi TY website and had to cancel or make changes? I am confused about the change/cancel policy since I am not directly booking with the airline. I clicked the term on a jetairways and Air India I tried to book. it is long page and it kinda says no refund or something.

Who do you call to change/cancel and fees?

I am trying to book HKG- DELHI flight for 3 on coach on Jan 7th, I can't find CX awards on BA website. I see that one of the Thank you transfer partner is Asia miles. I see CX & Jet Airways are bookable with Asia miles. So is it cheaper to transfer my TY points to book the CX or Jet Airways flight on Asia miles website or cheaper booking directly with TY points? Will these 2 airlines charge fuel surcharge?
Thanks

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Nov 22, 2015 at 12:37 am
Old Nov 22, 2015, 6:22 am
mia

Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
... is it cheaper to transfer my TY points to book the CX or Jet Airways flight on Asia miles website or cheaper booking directly with TY points?
The answer to this question will be specific to your particular route and travel date, and may change from one booking date to another because airfares and award availability fluctuate.

• Start to book the flight through thankyou.com to see the fare in dollars and in ThankYou points.
  • See if award space is available
  • See how many miles Asia Miles requires

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.