Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Citi | ThankYou Rewards
Reload this Page >

Confirmed: Changes to Citi ThankYou and Premier cards 10.20.2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, TY, UR, UA, US, WN, MR, SPG

Hey FT,

There are some changes coming to the Citi ThankYou and ThankYou Premier cards, effective on new applications on July 28th, 2013. Existing cardmembers will receive notification in late August, and changes will go into effect October 20th, 2013.

ThankYou Premier

Positive changes:

Negative changes:

Regular ThankYou

Positive changes:

Negative changes:

You will earn flight points on any tickets PURCHASED by October 19, 2013.
                          You will have access to booking through Spirit for the companion airfare through October 19, 2013.
                          Any flight points you have will remain until you convert them with matched spend.
                          Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:51 pm
                          Original Poster

Personally, this is a bigtime deal breaker on the Premier. Seems they're trying to match up to the CSP in terms of value, but they don't realize TYPs are worth much less than UR points. Seems they're trying to widen the gap between the Premier and Prestige, to make the Prestige more attractive despite the higher fee. Seems like what they've done instead is simply make the Premier less attractive. They're making a huge mistake in not dropping the annual fee to match the CSP, too, though.
                          Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:12 pm

thanks for the heads up

i have had a TY Premier card for a while. the way i look at it, the flight point program was in effect spend $1 and get 2 TY points back.

most of us who have the card have a large flight point balance that you need regular spend dollars to transfer to the main thank you pot.

the devaluation from 1.33x to 1.25 sucks, but 3x at restaurants can be big.

sounds like i will need another card for stuff like groceries and everyday spend.

any you guys will recommend?
                          Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:29 pm

So will the Spirit 15% discount remain? That seems to be the only advantage left over the CSP (with cards giving 5x restaurants don't count 3 as big!) and lots of disadvantages.
                          Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:38 pm
                          dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
                          Wow, in spite of the new category bonuses, this sounds like a major gutting of the Premier card. Unfortunately, in spite of all the rumors of airline and hotel transfer partners for the Thank You program, all we've seen is the addition of Hilton HHonors, and with that program's devaluation this year, the transfer ratio isn't very attractive.

With the companion ticket gone, I can't see how Citi can justify an annual fee that is higher than the CSP.
                          Old Jul 15, 2013, 1:45 pm
                          Original Poster

Speculation: Changes to Citi Prestige cards to parallel Premier card downgrades?

Originally Posted by silver6054
                          So will the Spirit 15% discount remain? That seems to be the only advantage left over the CSP (with cards giving 5x restaurants don't count 3 as big!) and lots of disadvantages.
                          No, as far as I can see, the Spirit discount and companion ticket will only be available to Prestige holders, after 10/20/13.

I foresee most people manufacturing spend/focusing spend on burning through their flight points and canceling before the next annual fee comes up.
                          Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
                          Originally Posted by roki
                          No, as far as I can see, the Spirit discount and companion ticket will only be available to Prestige holders, after 10/20/13.

I foresee most people manufacturing spend/focusing spend on burning through their flight points and canceling before the next annual fee comes up.
                          Yep, time to start burning the TYP - although the combo with the citi forward for 5x dining might still be attractive even with the 1.25x burn devaluation.
                          Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by eyeballer
                          Yep, time to start burning the TYP - although the combo with the citi forward for 5x dining might still be attractive even with the 1.25x burn devaluation.
                          Although with 2x dining added to Thank You (and Preferred/Premier) and Forward going away for non-students, it wouldn't be a total surprise to see the 5x go from Forward.
                          Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA, BA Avios, AMEX Plat
                          Originally Posted by silver6054
                          Although with 2x dining added to Thank You (and Preferred/Premier) and Forward going away for non-students, it wouldn't be a total surprise to see the 5x go from Forward.
                          In which case.. off to Chase I go...
                          Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:39 pm

Bummer, the combination of flight points and 1.33x back for travel were what made this card my main go to. Especially with the bump for grocery spend, which thankfully has continued to work even though I'm abroad most of the time these days.

While the 3x for restaurants is nice, it'll just be a way for me to clear out my flight points faster before my anniversary date comes up again. Time to burn 'em.
                          Old Jul 15, 2013, 2:47 pm

Terrible change, crap rewards program, lackluster options. Now if they added AA/SQ/BA, then it would be fine $125 is expensive, needs a lower price but I still think flight points should stay. Maybe if enough feedback, they will reconsider. Certainly can't hurt to express disappointment with some or all of the changes.
                          Old Jul 15, 2013, 3:09 pm
                          Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nick92
                          Terrible change, crap rewards program, lackluster options. Now if they added AA/SQ/BA, then it would be fine $125 is expensive, needs a lower price but I still think flight points should stay. Maybe if enough feedback, they will reconsider. Certainly can't hurt to express disappointment with some or all of the changes.
                          I agree. The loss of flight points is the real gutting of benefits here. 1.25x rather than 1.33x is disappointing, but that still would give you a 2.5% return on EDS. The companion ticket is the big loss for me, though, as I've saved $800+ every year I've had the card booking with that ($400+ x2). I travel domestically to see family several times a year. This will be a big loss for me.
                          Old Jul 15, 2013, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA nothing (former multi-year CO Platinum), AA 1M Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive
                          Originally Posted by roki
                          Hey FT,

There are some changes coming to the Citi ThankYou and ThankYou Premier cards, effective on new applications on July 28th, 2013. Existing cardmembers will receive notification in late August, and changes will go into effect October 20th, 2013.

ThankYou Premier

Positive changes:

Negative changes:

Regular ThankYou

Positive changes:

Negative changes:

You will earn flight points on any tickets PURCHASED by October 19, 2013.
                                                  You will have access to booking through Spirit for the companion airfare through October 19, 2013.
                                                  Any flight points you have will remain until you convert them with matched spend.
                                                  Thanks for the info! I have a grandfathered PPE card with no annual fee, so I will probably keep the card. But my several thousand $/month will go to zero when no longer matched by flight points. This is not even close to competitive. Why would anybody earning TYP care about restaurants on PPE when the Citi Forward gives 5X?

A few questions.
                                                  1. How do you know this?
                                                  2. So the flight points earned by everything booked by October 19 will remain until matched by spend?
                                                  3. Is there any limit on how long we will have to match the flight points?
                                                  Old Jul 15, 2013, 3:21 pm

Citi Forward is no longer available, except to students.
                                                  Old Jul 15, 2013, 3:47 pm

What about Thank You Preferred?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.