Current China Entry policy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2021, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
I have had 3 different domestic trips cancelled due to covid in the past 3 weeks.[moderator deleted]. Not a fun place to be anymore now that the rest of the world is moving on.
The rest of the world is "moving on"? ymmv. in oregon we are mandated to wear masks outdoors and have to show proof of vax to attend some high school sporting events (also outdoors) that maybe have 50 people in the crowd. with hospitalizations among vax'd growing among the mRNA countries and booster mandates a seeming possibility, i'm not feeling like we are moving on just yet.
tauphi likes this.

Last edited by l etoile; Oct 24, 2021 at 7:53 pm
Old Oct 23, 2021, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Now that the dust has pretty much settled in my case (I say "pretty much" because I still need to report to my overlooker frequently, something I can handle), I want add a few more thoughts. Please realize that I only have ONE personal data point, but my comments incorporate the wisdom of others who are far more experienced.

-Definitely fly to Shanghai. It doesn't matter whether or not you like Shanghai because you won't actually see it. The reason Shanghai is a better option than Beijing, Shenzhen, Xi'an, etc is because the 14 days thing is pretty much set in stone
-There is a small catch to "set in stone"; 14 = 21 if you don't provide them a Shanghai address; this is a pickle that I didn't foresee
-ideally, we should give them a residential address, but --if this isn't an option-- book a friendly +7 hotel. You will have a lot of time to pull off this task during days 1-4
tauphi likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2021, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The main difference seems to be that in China being vaccinated gets you no special treatment compared to not being vaccinated. Everyone gets the same quarantine, or gets rounded up regardless of vaccination status if you’re unlucky enough to ride the subway or be on a flight with someone potentially infected.

It seems Europe and the USA are being much more accommodating to vaccinated people than China is. Hopefully that will change soon.
uanj and gudugan like this.

Last edited by l etoile; Oct 24, 2021 at 7:56 pm Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
Old Oct 23, 2021, 11:59 pm

I agree, and in case it's not obvious, you're looking at forking over $7k (I tried to keep costs down, to the extent that I stayed with my friend in Mountain View instead of a hotel) at minimum in order to come here (add another $2k for the return flight, but this is easy).

Whether or not it's worth it is a personal/company decision.

ETA: I suppose it's possible for US people to pull off the drill for less than $5k, but if you set the benchmark at 7, you will be okay.
gudugan likes this.

Last edited by l etoile; Oct 24, 2021 at 7:59 pm Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by moondog
I agree, and in case it's not obvious, you're looking at forking over $7k (I tried to keep costs down, to the extent that I stayed with my friend in Mountain View instead of a hotel) at minimum in order to come here (add another $2k for the return flight, but this is easy).

Whether or not it's worth it is a personal/company decision.

ETA: I suppose it's possible for US people to pull off the drill for less than $5k, but if you set the benchmark at 7, you will be okay.
If you buy round trip from China and are OK with economy I think you can do it for less than $4k. I paid $2300 for my RT flight, $320 for my test to come back and the quarantine is 550rmb/night for 14 days which puts me right around the $3.9k usd mark. Not cheap by any means and I’m lucky to have my usa home in a departure city to China negating the need for the flight to and 2 days stay in the city before departure, but still not completely unreasonable considering I was usually dropping $3.5k on a RT biz ticket pre-Covid at least twice a year.

The real pain is the timesuck of the quarantine.
Cryofern likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
If you buy round trip from China and are OK with economy I think you can do it for less than $4k. I paid $2300 for my RT flight, $320 for my test to come back and the quarantine is 550rmb/night for 14 days which puts me right around the $3.9k usd mark. Not cheap by any means and I’m lucky to have my usa home in a departure city to China negating the need for the flight to and 2 days stay in the city before departure, but still not completely unreasonable considering I was usually dropping $3.5k on a RT biz ticket pre-Covid at least twice a year.

The real pain is the timesuck of the quarantine.
Good points. I spent $7500 on the drill, so I used $7k as a benchmark. In retrospect, I probably could have shaved $1500 off if I had been a little smarter.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
It’s cost be about 4x more than you on my last round trip out of China and back.

Expats are flooding out of China.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 12:15 pm

It’s cost be about 4x more than you on my last round trip out of China and back.

I'm honestly inclined to go with 10x because it used to be possible to fly over here for $750. This isn't the case at present; we are confronted with a sacred cow. Is a China visit worth $2k, $5k, or $7.5k to you? I suppose I am fine with 7.5k myself, but this hurdle pretty much eliminates casual tourists, even if you can reduce it by half.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I'm honestly inclined to go with 10x because it used to be possible to fly over here for $750. This isn't the case at present; we are confronted with a sacred cow. Is a China visit worth $2k, $5k, or $7.5k to you? I suppose I am fine with 7.5k myself, but this hurdle pretty much eliminates casual tourists, even if you can reduce it by half.
This also assumes you value your time at zero. For a lot of people, myself included, 2 weeks of my time is worth more than $7500. That's only $535 of time value per day.
Loren Pechtel likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 1:24 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
From an article in the HK forum https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/peopl...despite-exodus

Hong Kong’s population has been shrinking at a record rate, according to government data, with the city losing 89,000 residents in the year ending June. Singapore, meanwhile, reported a 10.7 per cent dip in its non-resident population over the same period, or about 175,000 people.
I saw an article with the China numbers but can't find it. Basically it's going down too
Old Oct 24, 2021, 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by gudugan
This also assumes you value your time at zero. For a lot of people, myself included, 2 weeks of my time is worth more than $7500. That's only $535 of time value per day.
It's possible to get things done during q time; in fact, we could argue that it helps us focus. That having been said, my threshold is currently ONE.

travelinmanS I want to bring you a care package. Please message me wrt your hotel's rules, and I'll make it happen.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is a feature, not a bug, for XJP.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 9:48 pm
Suspended

”4x more than you”

mine was over $25k in total cost
Old Oct 24, 2021, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
This is a feature, not a bug, for XJP.
Yea the old ways of the party are rearing their head now.
Old Oct 24, 2021, 11:48 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
-Definitely fly to Shanghai. It doesn't matter whether or not you like Shanghai because you won't actually see it. The reason Shanghai is a better option than Beijing, Shenzhen, Xi'an, etc is because the 14 days thing is pretty much set in stone
-There is a small catch to "set in stone"; 14 = 21 if you don't provide them a Shanghai address; this is a pickle that I didn't foresee
-ideally, we should give them a residential address, but --if this isn't an option-- book a friendly +7 hotel. You will have a lot of time to pull off this task during days 1-4
My understanding is that you're in hotel quarantine for 14 days in Shanghai and then you're free to move around the city for the remaining 7 days before you can fly to your final destination, is that not correct?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.