Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2022, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by narvik
(bolding mine)
Yeah, that's how I understood it also.
I had some issues in that the code I needed to travel to Beijing only turned GREEN the day after arrival in Beijing!
The code I was referring to that was GREEN the whole time somehow had my old passport number connected to it. I never used that one.
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I am told that the code will remain yellow until the end of the 21 -day. Apparently they fixed the problems and now it will only turn green at the end of 21 days and only after both Covid tests (taken during the +7 days) show negative.

I will see if that is indeed the change after I clear my 14-day and 21-day.

My code was green for a few days when I arrived in China earlier last week but it turned red a couple of days ago.
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
If you have changed your passport and leave and return on a new passport your code doesn’t seem to know and it stays green throughout. There are obviously many situations where this could be a bonus.
I think passport number combined with cell phone number determine the color of code.

Next time I'll test my theory. Same passport number. Two cell phones. Use a new cell phone on the entry health form.

My theory: old cell phone shows green, and new cell phone shows red/yellow.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
If you have changed your passport and leave and return on a new passport your code doesn’t seem to know and it stays green throughout. There are obviously many situations where this could be a bonus.
Yep, that's pretty much how this went.
I ended up NOT using this GREEN code with the old number, and changed/updated the app to new passport.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 12:03 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
One issue in Beijing if you have multiple mobiles - if you login to the HealthKit using multiple phone numbers, you won't be able to remove the old number from the Health Kit.

Good luck!
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:34 am

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Related question - Does anyone here have experience of what happens to the vaccine record (of jabs here in China) when you change passport? I'll have to get a new passport in the next few months so wonder how this will work.

In theory there should be a link in some central database between old and new passport numbers, but I won't be surprised if this doesn't work smoothly. I tried to use my permanent resident card partly for this reason when taking the vaccinations but they insisted that I had to use a passport for identification.

No big deal of course at the moment, but may be needed in the future when travel is practical again and proof of vaccination is needed.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 5:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GinFizz
Related question - Does anyone here have experience of what happens to the vaccine record (of jabs here in China) when you change passport? I'll have to get a new passport in the next few months so wonder how this will work.

In theory there should be a link in some central database between old and new passport numbers, but I won't be surprised if this doesn't work smoothly. I tried to use my permanent resident card partly for this reason when taking the vaccinations but they insisted that I had to use a passport for identification.

No big deal of course at the moment, but may be needed in the future when travel is practical again and proof of vaccination is needed.
It won’t work.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 7:53 pm
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by GinFizz

It won’t work.
(Curious only) - can one keep a registration based on (expired) passport, and travel on new passport? If challenged, show both passports together?
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:44 am

I'm not sure the details but it's possible to get an international vaccination yellow card similar to the International WHO booklet. I've seen one and it was official stamped"chopped".
Old Jan 19, 2022, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by joesk
I'm not sure the details but it's possible to get an international vaccination yellow card similar to the International WHO booklet. I've seen one and it was official stamped"chopped".
I went to the WHO website and downloaded the PDF file of the yellow book, and printed them on yellow sheets of paper at 100% scale. Cut the printouts into actual yellow book size and bind them pages together.
I presented my custom made yellow book to get chopped and signed when I had the two doses of SinoVac. They even removed the seal stickers with serial number on the vaccine box and pasted into the book for me.

I also did the same when I took the SinoVac flu shot a few months ago.
joesk likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2022, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I went to the WHO website and downloaded the PDF file of the yellow book, and printed them on yellow sheets of paper at 100% scale. Cut the printouts into actual yellow book size and bind them pages together.
What's the reason for this? Is this version more 'usable'?
Old Jan 19, 2022, 10:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
Anyone have clarity on United operating it’s flights OUT of China (PVG-ICN-SFO route) despite being unable to bring passengers in? I’m hoping they’re still flying cargo over and have aircraft available to get me out of Mao 2.0 China shortly.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by kb1992
I am totally lost here by China's 14+7 policy.

1) If there is a possibility to infect others after 14 day quarantine, why allow you to move to another hotel? Or. why even allow you to return to your hometown with exposure to the public (by train, plane etc)?

2) So the only sensible thing to do is to put you in quarantine hotel for 21 days. But here is my issue. Almost all COVID infections show symptoms after 4-5 days. Very, very rare case it exceeds 14 days. I feel that recent positive case in Shanghai got infected in quarantine. Not in USA.

Only in China you hear cases after 14, 21 or even 35 days........ Chinese officials and Chinese people want to blame someone. This is beyond absurd.
Not sure why you're confused. You basically answered your own questions.

The +7 exists because the likelihood of infection after 14 days, like you said, is remote. It's a compromise between hardship to the person being quarantined and his risk to the public.

And you know what, I do think there's a possibility that these people were infected during or after quarantine. But most likely from something they brought with them in their suitcase, and not from a source outside of themselves. Again, very low likelihood events.

Only in China do you hear about these outliers because I think other countries would have given up after so many days because they have no ability to determine if it's an infection that occurs afterward due to the presence of locally transmitted disease. In China, there's basically no such local transmission, so that source can be ruled out, relatively.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by gudugan
Yes, and cases are still being imported in even with 14 or 21 day quarantine.

The Olympics workers will have to do a similar process before “reentering” China but still pose a similar, if not much greater, risk vector. There were many cases detected at the Tokyo Olympics.
I believe there were a few hundred cases detected during the Tokyo Olympics, which is actually very few considering that a) there are locally transmitted cases in Tokyo anyways 2) the number of people involved.

Beijing is in a much better situation:
1) much less people involved (Winter Olympics). Maybe by a factor of 10?
2) no local source of transmission (almost)
3) much tighter closed-loop system

Even in Tokyo, there were no outbreaks among athletes or workers, only a few isolated infections, due to the control measures. Even if there were isolated leaks in China due to the Olympics, there's nothing that China can't handle at this point and I don't see why it would become an out of control outbreak.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by narvik
What's the reason for this? Is this version more 'usable'?
Yellow book is commonly accepted internationally, and I would like to keep all my vaccine records in one place to monitor and have a record for my own use and my family doctor. It also eliminates having to print out hard copies from various providers in different format or searching for screen shots on my phone. I usually ask vaccine providers to sign the book and no one has any issues or raise any questions (both in China and US). Just had my Shingles vaccines at CVS before I left the US, and it is in my Yellow book and I can keep track when I need to do my second shot.

It is small in the same size of a passport to put into my passport pouch when I travel.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 12:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

delete duplicate post

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jan 20, 2022 at 5:28 am Reason: delete duplicate post
Old Jan 20, 2022, 4:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
Anyone have clarity on United operating it’s flights OUT of China (PVG-ICN-SFO route) despite being unable to bring passengers in? I’m hoping they’re still flying cargo over and have aircraft available to get me out of Mao 2.0 China shortly.
They seem to be selling them whilst no longer selling the SFO-PVG legs. I'd guess that they will fly them over for the cargo and then you'd be able to fly back in the pure unadulterated luxury of United Polaris.
joesk likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.