Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2021, 6:53 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Originally Posted by kickr
I, for once, want to go there to reunite with my wife.
Is it time for me to cut losses and move on?
According to the Chinese government, yes. Sorry.
m.y and lsquare like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by gudugan
According to the Chinese government, yes. Sorry.
🤣
Old Sep 28, 2021, 6:59 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gudugan
https://radiichina.com/students-arou...dies-in-china/

More expository journalism than anything but this is pretty crazy. Imagine doing a year of your degree and then you're in limbo for Spring 2020, Fall 2020, Spring 2021, Fall 2021, and goodness knows how long...
Especially ridiculous given the fact that Chinese students can now return to the US. In the long run, China is only hurting itself with this.

Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
I don’t get why people are clamoring to get into China. Time to cut losses and move on. The 2019 China is nowhere close to coming back anytime soon.
Someone else addresses the family aspect of this. For others, China still represents an asymmetric bet that is likely to remain highly lucrative for the foreseeable future. The IRR of our family office’s investments in the US is just shy of 25% (which I am very pleased with). The IRR of our Chinese investments is… 170%. It is just too easy to “win” in this country.

Originally Posted by lsquare
I think China's zero-COVID policy is simply unsustainable in the long term. Over the last several months, there have been prominent Chinese scholars that have said China will need to find a better balance and live with COVID so people can resume their normal lives. I think one of those scholars even wrote an opinion piece for the New York Times. I think after the Beijing Olympics and depending on the COVID situation in the US, there might be a chance for some sort of opening in 2022. China is probably looking for some sort of vaccine recognition from foreign countries and will work on some sort of path forward. Maybe 2023 is the year we'll be well on our way to normality?
The modern China is not rational. I don’t even understand what the objective of the government is anymore. The Xindongfang/New Oriental situation is causing needless harm to millions of people… for the sake of rhetoric? I don’t think we can expect China to act rationally with the long-term in mind. For this reason, I think 2023 is extremely optimistic (unfortunately).

In China you can still be tossed into quarantine, or have your children tossed into quarantine, without a moments notice. More and more people are noticing that this is ridiculous, not that it matters.
The situation was similar even in 2019. The police could come to your apartment, raid everything, and send you AND anyone with you to the police station for “random” drug tests. In 2019, this happened to my friend in Shanghai. The police picked him up 1 month after returning and even called him “Mandy boy” because he had spent the last year living in the Mandarin Oriental residences. They then did a hair test and deported him for weed he smoked in France… China has been like this for a while. I think Shanghai peaked when I was in high school (mid 2010s) and has only gone down since then from a gov intrusion perspective.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:23 am
Suspended

Programs: UA1K (no longer serviced!), Bonvoy P, Hyatt G
I, for once, want to go there to reunite with my wife.
Is it time for me to cut losses and move on?

Is she a looker? Fly her to you is the easier path
Old Sep 28, 2021, 7:33 am
Suspended

By the way I learned in my latest quarantine just how little the government values the life of individuals. I was set to be released after 14 days but due to a technical glitch my code would not turn green. All of the other passengers on my inbound flight left no problem. Mine stayed yellow until day 19 which is today and it finally turned green at 11am. Now I’m out in shanghai getting drunk like a normal person on a Tuesday.

Nobody at any level of government gave a rat’s anus about an extra 5 days of prison.

”go sit in your room until it turns green”
YariGuy and Loren Pechtel like this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:21 am
m.y

Programs: AC 75k, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lsquare
I think China's zero-COVID policy is simply unsustainable in the long term. Over the last several months, there have been prominent Chinese scholars that have said China will need to find a better balance and live with COVID so people can resume their normal lives. I think one of those scholars even wrote an opinion piece for the New York Times. I think after the Beijing Olympics and depending on the COVID situation in the US, there might be a chance for some sort of opening in 2022. China is probably looking for some sort of vaccine recognition from foreign countries and will work on some sort of path forward. Maybe 2023 is the year we'll be well on our way to normality?
Right now I don't think China is in a rush to open up, as most Asian countries are still closed, and multi-nationals are still investing in China. Most Chinese don't see a need to travel abroad and don't want foreigners in. Once countries in Asia starts to open up to travel, then more and more Chinese may realize that they are excluded and are trapped in a bubble. I've read there have been some grumbles by international companies in HK about the travel restrictions. Once the regional HQs move to Singapore, the Execs and their families leave, and the factories close, then maybe China will rethink their strategy.

By the way I learned in my latest quarantine just how little the government values the life of individuals. I was set to be released after 14 days but due to a technical glitch my code would not turn green. All of the other passengers on my inbound flight left no problem. Mine stayed yellow until day 19 which is today and it finally turned green at 11am. Now I’m out in shanghai getting drunk like a normal person on a Tuesday.

Nobody at any level of government gave a rat’s anus about an extra 5 days of prison.

In China, sacrificing the right of a few is a small price to pay for the benefit of society. I hope all expats learn that sooner vs later.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 12:37 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by m.y
Once the regional HQs move to Singapore, the Execs and their families leave, and the factories close, then maybe China will rethink their strategy.
This has already been happening for years and China does not care. Look at the 2019 Partner class for Goldman Sachs APAC. Hong Kong went from dominating the list to barely getting ANY new partners (think it was 2?). The Shanghai GS Partners make pennies compared to their HK counterparts. China doesn't care IMO.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 12:50 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
In China you can still be tossed into quarantine, or have your children tossed into quarantine, without a moments notice. More and more people are noticing that this is ridiculous, not that it matters.
The majority of the population agrees with the strict quarantine policies for the greater good.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 9:05 pm

When I got out of hotel quarantine in Shanghai, I didn't check my QR code colour until I was ready to check into the next (normal) hotel. It turned out that it was red. Luckily they still let me check in using my quarantine release certificate instead of the QR code. I then filed an appeal with the QR code app (it appears that getting a red/yellow code is a common occurrence after quarantine so there is an established channel for this with minimal human interactions) and the code turned green by the next morning.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 11:47 pm
Suspended

Sorry I should have specified that this is a Fujian health code and leaving the hotel without a green one was non negotiable. They’re in a lockdown there over a few hundred cases.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Sorry I should have specified that this is a Fujian health code and leaving the hotel without a green one was non negotiable. They’re in a lockdown there over a few hundred cases.
I know someone who just arrived into Xiamen and asked to do 21 days of isolated quarantine.

Since you got out in 19 days, shall I say congratulations?

Good to hear you are out and about!
Old Sep 29, 2021, 6:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
I know someone who just arrived into Xiamen and asked to do 21 days of isolated quarantine.

My friend only had to do 14 days there earlier this month, but as soon as he arrived in Hangzhou, he got treated to 7 more days.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

The rules are clear as mud and the health code is a black box run by the wizard of oz. the hotels have always said you can leave after 14 days but only if your code is green. The code rules that show on the app clearly state your code won’t turn green until day 22. However some people get it day 13,14,15,18,19,21,22,24,25.

Yes someone was stuck 25 days.

Clown world is in full force in Fujian. Tell your friend to watch his code carefully. Which is really not mentally healthy, but it could mean an early release.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by moondog
My friend only had to do 14 days there earlier this month, but as soon as he arrived in Hangzhou, he got treated to 7 more days.
Shanghai is the only place I’m aware of that doesn’t treat people to the extra week or even more. In shanghai you just record your temp twice a day and take nasal penetration day 16 and day 21.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 1:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by WasKnown
The situation was similar even in 2019. The police could come to your apartment, raid everything, and send you AND anyone with you to the police station for “random” drug tests. In 2019, this happened to my friend in Shanghai. The police picked him up 1 month after returning and even called him “Mandy boy” because he had spent the last year living in the Mandarin Oriental residences. They then did a hair test and deported him for weed he smoked in France… China has been like this for a while. I think Shanghai peaked when I was in high school (mid 2010s) and has only gone down since then from a gov intrusion perspective.
Was your buddy by chance involved in some other extracurricular activities or groups of people that could have led to this? I know China is intense but I don’t think they just draw names out of a hat and go raid 5 star service apartments. I think he must have been “referred”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.