Wiki Posts
Search

Current China Entry policy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2021, 5:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YariGuy
Wow, harsh.

I wonder what happens if you don't comply.
This drill is not easy, though the frontline people are really nice. I'll see you at Abbey Road tomorrow, and provide details YariGuy
Old Oct 27, 2021, 10:44 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
how do you get coupons?
Here you go. GTranslate as needed
https://www.apostledx.com/index.php?...ormation_id=12
Old Oct 28, 2021, 1:56 am

Originally Posted by YariGuy
Wow, harsh.

I wonder what happens if you don't comply.
Alarmism about this is weird. I was in Xi'an a couple weeks ago and got a similar phone call today — they tell you where to go and you do a free, quick test, assembly-line style. Technically I was supposed to do it a week after return, but strangely no jackbooted thugs came to take me away over it.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by Cotton Candy Lobster
Alarmism about this is weird. I was in Xi'an a couple weeks ago and got a similar phone call today — they tell you where to go and you do a free, quick test, assembly-line style. Technically I was supposed to do it a week after return, but strangely no jackbooted thugs came to take me away over it.
1. get new RP
2. fly back to USA (only $1000)
3. ask the SF consulate if I was good
4. bought 857 for $2300 (that used to fetch us business class, but I was upgraded, thanks to one of guys here)
5. 3 days in Mountain View
6. $350 for the Covid test in (very south) San Jose
7. $1000 to stay in a "hotel"
8. I am not allowed to go anywhere until 10/30
Old Oct 28, 2021, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by moondog
1. get new RP
4. bought 857 for $2300 (that used to fetch us business class, but I was upgraded, thanks to one of guys here)
Is step 3 still necessary?
Old Oct 28, 2021, 6:02 am

1. get new RP
I'm talking about domestic travel here. International is obviously another kettle of fish.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
”4x more than you”

mine was over $25k in total cost
My total cost was around $80K for 13 months in China.

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
Unless you have something very special to offer China or have a job here that they seem as necessary, I don't think you'll be getting in for a few more years. 2025 is my bet.
Maybe 2035 whenever the emperor lasts.

1. get new RP
Don't think (3) is still necessary for RP holders.

Originally Posted by gudugan
This also assumes you value your time at zero. For a lot of people, myself included, 2 weeks of my time is worth more than $7500. That's only $535 of time value per day.
It could get worse, say China increases quarantine days from 14 to 21 or 28 (many places already require more than 14 days)

Originally Posted by GloballyServiced
It’s cost be about 4x more than you on my last round trip out of China and back.

Expats are flooding out of China.
My ticket costs 275K UA miles in J on the outbound SFO-PVG, or $22,000 cash or $8,000 in Y. So I obviously redeemed miles. The return costs 250K miles or $3800 in Y. I decided to pay cash and got almost guaranteed upgrade.

A 13-month trip to China (Aug. 2020-Sept. 2021) costs me about $80K. Spent about $40K for 400 nights mostly at Marriott hotels in 35 cities. Another $40K for food, air/rail/taxi/car/sightseeing, personal stuff including a new iPhone Pro Max and a nice Huawei laptop, and of course, red envelopes for relatives and friends in China.

With a budget of $7K or 40000-50000 CNY per month in China, you would live very comfortably. I almost always get upgraded to executive suite at Marriott hotels.
Old Oct 28, 2021, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992

Don't think (3) is still necessary for RP holders.
He explicitly told me that 3 was not necessary in his email that I showed you guys. The thing is, if I didn't maintain contact with him, I wouldn't have been cleared to leave. He was very quick to respond, and told me exactly what I needed to do...apart from the second health code I got at SFO (UA is on top of this).
Old Oct 28, 2021, 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by kb1992
My ticket costs 275K UA miles in J on the outbound SFO-PVG, or $22,000 cash or $8,000 in Y. So I obviously redeemed miles. The return costs 250K miles or $3800 in Y. I decided to pay cash and got almost guaranteed upgrade.
I flew Y on the trip to the US (AA), and it was pretty nice. The food was okay, and everyone in economy got 3 seats to themselves.
Old Oct 29, 2021, 3:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I flew Y on the trip to the US (AA), and it was pretty nice. The food was okay, and everyone in economy got 3 seats to themselves.
Flights are empty out of Shanghai at least. No reason to buy business unless your company is paying or you really enjoy spending coin. Premium economy is an even worse deal as the armrests don’t raise so you can’t even get the poor man’s first class experience that economy ex China delivers these days.
Palal likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 6:26 am

Another case of a HKG transit, this time in Beijing:

??10?29???2??????? 1??????????1????????????

确诊病例2:亚美尼亚籍,10月24日从土耳其出发,10月26日先后经阿联酋和中国香港到达北京首都机场,海关经健康 筛查并进行核酸检测后,经闭环管理送至集中隔离酒店。10月26日报告核酸检测结果为阳性,10月27日转 至定点医院,当日诊断为无症状感染者。10月29日出现鼻塞、发热症状,综合流行病史、临床表现、实验室检 测和影像学检查等结果,诊断为确诊病例,临床分型为轻型。

An Armenian national, departed Turkey on 24 October, transiting the UAE and Hong Kong arrived at PEK on 26 October. I guess HKG isn't really segregating the China flights from the other flights so there is no way to enforce the no transit rule as long as the flight into HKG allows you to board.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 7:10 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
I was pretty sure there was a previous notice banning transit via HKG to China. It was on the HKIA notices page, it does not appear now:

Old Oct 30, 2021, 11:32 pm

I'm pretty sure transit to China is still forbidden:

https://www.hongkongairport.com/en/i...523424631510-3

It's just that the enforcement is being left to the check-in agent at the port of origin so there are probably many places from which you can board in violation of this rule, especially if your carrier is not Cathay.

As we know from the Australian-NZ travel bubble, segregating red and green flights is a crucial part of a viable bubble, unless of course if Hong Kong is only planning a land-based travel bubble with China.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 4:38 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, OZ*G, AA Gold, AS MVP
The problem with that is, wouldn’t transit security at HKG also be able to enforce the no-mainland-transit rule? Show up at any of the transit security checkpoints with a boarding pass for a mainland flight and get turned away and start proceedings to be returned to your port of origin would be the way to do it if they were serious about that restriction.
Old Nov 3, 2021, 5:54 pm

Programs: Qatar Gold (OWS), Asiana Diamond (*G)
Originally Posted by jamar
The problem with that is, wouldn’t transit security at HKG also be able to enforce the no-mainland-transit rule? Show up at any of the transit security checkpoints with a boarding pass for a mainland flight and get turned away and start proceedings to be returned to your port of origin would be the way to do it if they were serious about that restriction.
Do they even check the boarding pass at transit security?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.