Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Gate searches -- still?!? AAARRRHHHGGG!! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:32 am

Programs: AA: ExPlat, Virgin: Silver, Midwest, US Airways: Gold, NW, Lufthansa: Freq Trav
Just out of curiosity who would provide better security?

TSA or a mannequin?

TSA or Stevie Wonder?

TSA or Barney Fife?

OK, I feel better!
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:51 am

They do this in BUF all the time

Had the pleasure myself earlier in the year. They pulled me aside, sat me down in one of those skinny-wheelchair contraptions and embarrassed me in front of all the boarding pax. I was furious. It's a helpless feeling. No matter how much you protest, you either miss your plane or just cause yourself more hassle. I know I should fight it, but when I'm traveling on business, I have to get to where I'm going. Now, going through the security checkpoint, I always ask them to change their gloves and make the process as unpleasant for them as possible. I also refuse the strip search scanners and take the pat down. They hate that.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 7:52 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by coachrowsey
There were 4 of them tonight (Wed) on the US Clt-Lgw flight. This flight is a passport control flight requiring every one check in with the gate agents & show ticket & valid passport. The agent at the gate announced that the TSA would be in the jetway checking passports. What a waste of tax payer money
(emphasis mine)

TSA or CBP?

TSA specifically checking passports in the jetway would be grossly outside of their legal authority. CBP checking passports on the outbound leg is arguably outside of their purview since the USA does not, officially, have an exit control policy that I know of; however, I have seen it done on all of my flights to Japan over the past few years and they would arguably be the appropriate agency for doing so, if we did have an exit control policy.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by PTravel
I am aware of absolutely no legal requirement that I show my ID to a government clerk who approaches me randomly. As well know, TSOs are not LEOs and, whereas a LEO can demand that you identify yourself, a TSO most certainly cannot in this context.
Keep in mind that these are two different things (and that identification is a process, not something that can be shown). Showing documentation of your identity is different that verbally identifying yourself. In the United States, we're not required to carry identification documents with us at all times, so it wouldn't be useful to require that people show them upon demand.

I'd like to hear from some TSA staff about whether they believe people in the secure areas of airports are required to identify themselves to TSA staff upon demand. Dean, West, Ron?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:55 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
(emphasis mine)

TSA or CBP?

TSA specifically checking passports in the jetway would be grossly outside of their legal authority. CBP checking passports on the outbound leg is arguably outside of their purview since the USA does not, officially, have an exit control policy that I know of; however, I have seen it done on all of my flights to Japan over the past few years and they would arguably be the appropriate agency for doing so, if we did have an exit control policy.

It was TSA. I watched all 4 of them enter the jetway just prior to the announcement.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So yesterday afternoon I was flying from LAX to SFO, and there were four TSA agents checking the ID's of all passengers at the jetway. This was for a domestic flight, where up until about a year ago you didn't need ID period. Another TSA enhancement?
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lucky9876coins
So yesterday afternoon I was flying from LAX to SFO, and there were four TSA agents checking the ID's of all passengers at the jetway. This was for a domestic flight, where up until about a year ago you didn't need ID period. Another TSA enhancement?
Make work.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:39 am

For more on this, see the following FT threads:
Old Sep 10, 2009, 10:52 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by PTravel
Originally Posted by goalie
smurf: excuse me, may i see you're i/d?
me: may i see your i/d please? (you know where this is going, don't you? )
smurf: why?
me: how do i know you are who you say your are and you actually work for the tsa?
smurf: i'm in uniform.
me: i can see that and i have an sfpd uniform in my closet with full patches from a uniform store in san francisco but i'm not a member of the sfpd. may i see your i/d please?
smurf: hands me the i/d.
me: thank you and i'll just record the information before i give it back to you.
Goalie, you are absolutely awesome!

However, I think that, if a smurf comes up to me at the gate and demands to see my ID, I'll just tell him, "Sorry, no."

I am aware of absolutely no legal requirement that I show my ID to a government clerk who approaches me randomly. As well know, TSOs are not LEOs and, whereas a LEO can demand that you identify yourself, a TSO most certainly cannot in this context.
aw shucks

but seriously...a person purporting to be someone in authority must produce i/d when asked as it's the law-period. leo in uniform, leo u/c, fam, city building inspector and yes, even a tsa employee as it is the i/d that says who they are not a uniform and/or a badge. if they have "issues" with that, simply tell them you will gladly wait for a real <insert position here> who will produce i/d to verify their identity before answering any of their questions
Old Sep 10, 2009, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks, but I'm not sure what those threads have to do with my situation. I know about the change in rules, but in this case there were TSA agents at the gate checking ID's. Not at the checkpoint, at the gate.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:10 pm

Thanks, but I'm not sure what those threads have to do with my situation.
You wrote, "up until about a year ago you didn't need ID period." That's technically correct, but you still don't "need ID".
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:34 pm

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
On 9/9 the TSA was doing "stare-downs" at LAX T5 for DL 198, LAX-JFK.

As it was an intl gate we were using, they hid around the corner in the immigrations corridor so pax could not see them at the gate, but the GA let it be known that the TSA is with us today.

When I boarded, I walked by, didn't look at them or even acknowledge their presence.

Flying out of JFK tomorrow, 9/11. Will be interesting to see if the TSA is doing anything out of the ordinary. I certainly hope no games or other procedures de jour.

I also noticed there was a "Nude-o-Scope" at LAX T5 security.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 4:13 am

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8830/4.5.0.127 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

600a EDT: Two TSA - checking Id and BP - 630a - 742a IND - DTW NW 540 Gate A8
Old Sep 21, 2009, 8:16 am

Programs: DL Silver (0.239 MM), DL SkyClub Life, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
It's made its way to MSN now. Yesterday afternoon, two smurfs waiting around for a YX hop MSN-MKE to start boarding. I was on the arrival of that bird, so didn't get to see the fun.
Old Sep 21, 2009, 9:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
smurf alert at PHX!!
I flew out on AA 1524 PHX-DFW on 9/20... The Smurf brigade was out in full force patting down passengers

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.