Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAMed Again, but maybe a solution

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2007, 4:10 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Sorry, Law Dog, I wasn't generalizing this time. I was just observing that on a particular transcon on AA leaving BOS, ever Aisle FC seat had alcohol except the two individuals I mentioned, which means either: a) no FAM's in FC on that flight; or b) the FAM's were drinking (no implication here - I am sure they don't - so my conclusion is "no fams").
Old Nov 2, 2007, 3:45 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
I wonder if the marshalls on El Al only fly in first and business class. Somehow I doubt it...
Old Nov 2, 2007, 8:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
I wonder if the marshalls on El Al only fly in first and business class. Somehow I doubt it...
We would never know since they're so well disguised - the frumpy, middle-aged business man sitting next to you on an El Al flight could be a frumpy, middle-aged business man, or an air marshal. Same goes for the buxom blonde with Paris Hilton sunglasses reading copies of Hello! magazine.

That's one reason why their FAM system works, and ours doesn't. Just one reason, mind you.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 8:42 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Originally Posted by bocastephen
That's one reason why their FAM system works, and ours doesn't. Just one reason, mind you.
Disagree. Our system works fine, the purpose is different. Their purpose is to actually defend the flight, which is why they have people on every flight. Our purpose is to deter someone from even attempting a hijack, which is why ours are intentionally "visible" to the trained observer.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 8:51 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by sbrower
Disagree. Our system works fine, the purpose is different. Their purpose is to actually defend the flight, which is why they have people on every flight. Our purpose is to deter someone from even attempting a hijack, which is why ours are intentionally "visible" to the trained observer.
A "trained observer"? Like my grandmother? "Oh! There's a policeman on our plane!"

Seriously. The "trained" person you're talking about would know that FAMs randomly ride flights and would otherwise not be "observable". If that is not sufficient deterrent, "observability" does nothing except enable the bad guy to factor the FAM into any given plan.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 9:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I disagree. There isn't a FAM on every flight - not even close. There might be around a 1,000 or so FAMs across the country if that, while there are well over 5,000 aircraft in the air at any given time and over 25,000 commercial passenger (Part 121) flights every day (source:NATCA). That's not exactly a high level of coverage.

They are not visible by choice - they are visible by mismanagement and sloppiness.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 9:24 am

Programs: CO Plat, Priority Club Plat, HH Diamond, Avis First, Hertz #1Gold
Then why not put FAMs in uniform?
Old Nov 2, 2007, 9:41 am

Sorry, Law Dog, I wasn't generalizing this time. I was just observing that on a particular transcon on AA leaving BOS, ever Aisle FC seat had alcohol except the two individuals I mentioned, which means either: a) no FAM's in FC on that flight; or b) the FAM's were drinking (no implication here - I am sure they don't - so my conclusion is "no fams").
In that case you'd probably be right, in my understanding.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
FAMs fly coach too.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by sinanju
A "trained observer"? Like my grandmother? "Oh! There's a policeman on our plane!"

Seriously. The "trained" person you're talking about would know that FAMs randomly ride flights and would otherwise not be "observable". If that is not sufficient deterrent, "observability" does nothing except enable the bad guy to factor the FAM into any given plan.
I tend to agree here, which is why most of the rank-and-file FAMs have pushed hard for changes in their procedures.

I think some of the old management thinking was it was a win-win situation for them. They really thought that the bad guys would see them and move onto another plane and do the job. Then they could say, "Well, if we'd had more manpower maybe we could have covered that flight too and averted this tragedy." The FAMs I know are enraged by this kind of thinking. If it happens again, they want to be there.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 9:46 am

Originally Posted by vassilipan
Some have argued for it and asked to be placed facing the rear in the FAs jumpseat or in the flight deck itself.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by vassilipan
As Law Dawg stated, those of us in the seats have brought this point up. Fortunately, our new Director is open to suggestions from the field, and has made many improvements in how we operate. Hopefully we will be able to resolve the last few problems we have.

Last edited by mmartin4600; Dec 1, 2007 at 3:28 pm
Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by mmartin4600
As Law Dawg stated, those of us in the seats have brought this point up. IF the FAM's were allowed to do the job the way we want to, you would have a more difficult time picking us out. The problem is individuals who have never done the job manage us. Most of them are ex-Secret Service, and we all know how covert they are. I remember our first Director telling us we were not covert, we were semi-covert. Most of the guys I work with go directly against policy to protect our anonymity. Fortunately, our new Director is open to suggestions from the field, and has made many improvements in how we operate. Hopefully we will be able to resolve the last few problems we have.
I thought it was "discreet?" I've never heard of discreet being used before to describe LEO functions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undercover
Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:46 am

I've never heard of "semi-covert". You are, or you are not.
Old Nov 2, 2007, 10:49 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by mmartin4600
I've never heard of "semi-covert". You are, or you are not.
Perhaps it's like Plame-Wilson. You're covert until you're outed for political gain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.