Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAMed Again, but maybe a solution

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: constantly questioning DHS
Originally Posted by law dawg
This happens all the time without FAMs being the cause, as I understand it. So, you do what you would normally do, no? Don't people "bump" people from FC and the like from time to time? Same thing.

Again, as I understand it. I'm no expert.
Actually, no it does not, at least not on carriers with no upgraded passengers.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by jetboyds
Actually, no it does not, at least not on carriers with no upgraded passengers.
Ok, somewhere I missed the point of your carrier not having upgrades. My apologies.

That would make it more difficult, no doubt.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:43 am

Originally Posted by PDXUAFAN
Checked in last night for my flight today on a A319. Selected 2B and confirmed my check in.

This morning I check my itineraries for a future flight but accidentally take a look at today's flight.

My seat is shown as N/A.

I go to seat assignments and all of 2 and most of 1 is taken, leaving me with a choice of 1A or 1D.

Call 1K and they say they have no record of my seat selection, etc.

I say three words: Federal Air Marshal.

The CSR says yup.

I go on about how I hate those .......s. Etc.... She says that given the fact that they have no control over which flights these guys are on, at least UA should block FAM favorite seats and open them up at the airport if no FAM is on board... this would at least keep us from being so pissed off.

What do you think? Should they automatically block one FAM fav on every flight and release at the gate for non-FAM flown flights?

I wouldn't have been so pissed if it was already occupied.

Temper tantrums won't do.

FAMs can over-ride for ANY seat(s) they so desire.

GAs and FAs are NOT at fault.

Sorry, but You CANNOT win this one.

There is also an airline disclaimer that even when seats are assigned
and or confirmed that they are NOT guaranteed ....

Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by tazi
Let them do it in coach.
FAMs do sit in coach and they do sit upfront as well on some flights.

You do NOT need to know WHERE.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by HeHateY
Too bad you did not/were not able to print a boarding pass with 2B on it. Then march on board and tell the useless aircop to get the hell out of your seat.

Good way to be deplaned in cuffs and arrested for creating a ruckus...

Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by PHLbuddy
Despite my continued belief that guns do not belong on planes, period, what you are proposing is quite logical.

Of course, the management of the Federal Air Marshal program has lacked any training in logic, and as such, such a reasonable approach will never see the light of day.

In the interim, back to your bulky shirt, khaki wearing guys walking through exit doors and boarding before others at your friendly local airport.

don't see too many bulky shirts in khaki... FAMs are not uniformed

many don't wear dark suits and sunglasses, ie "the man in black" ...

most are so blended-in you'd take them either for young
business executives or obnoxious tourists on holiday...
depending on the flight/destination(s)...

Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by scophreak
I rarely, if ever, fly FC, so the FAM seat situation doesn't really affect me in the least. However, I still don't quite understand the logic on seating them so close to the flight deck.

1) If the flight deck is still so vulnerable, why did we go through the trouble of installing the new reinforced cockpit doors? Isn't the purpose of these "reinforced" doors to stop so-called "evil-doers" from entering the cockpit?

2) Wouldn't an aisle seat further back in the cabin allow the FAM to survey more of the landscape of the aircraft, therefore increasing his/her effectiveness? Wouldn't it be easier to incapacitate a FAM or suspected FAM from the rear (i.e. from behind them)?

IF there is an FAM upfront you can COUNT on (at least) a second FAM
to the rear.

While I am NOT an FAM, in my capacity travelling on government
business, and previous experience with Executive protection,
I've recognized several of these fine folk on a variety of flights.

Believe me, ALL scenarios have been played out...and contingency plans
in place to prevent another 9-11 from the air....

Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by bzbdewd
Have to agree with you across the board. A family 'friend' is now a DHS version FAM. She's a moron who's been promoted based on her face not what lies behind it.... and a serious anger management/authority complex. The thought of that bimbo on a plane with a loaded gun is terrifying! I'd worry more about her doing something to down the plane before a terrorist.

IF you truly feel that way -- AND -- * IF * you can justify
your fear WITH FACTS, then you are responsible to report
the information to proper federal authority for them to investigate.

Otherwise, SHOULD something go awry as you fear, you can
consider yourself semi-responsible for whatever may occur.

Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by bbc1969

Please continue to express your displeasure with elected officials and Senior Executive Service (SES) salaried individuals who are decision makers in various governmental agencies.

bbc1969:

. . . So sorry you think you're the only ones with "problems"

IF you make ES- bring hip-waders. you'll need 'em for those
accountability hearings on The Hill....

Old Dec 10, 2007, 2:14 am

...Don't people "bump" people from FC and the like from time to time?

BUMP

ZNR ZNR ZNR

Better to Be SPOOK than be spooked. Luh ?

Adios. Gotta catch-up with the rest of my bag of Z's...

Old Dec 10, 2007, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Krakajax
FAMs do sit in coach and they do sit upfront as well on some flights.

You do NOT need to know WHERE.
We don't need you to tell us what we need to know or don't need to know - most of us experienced fliers already know where and who the FAMs are, and at least one of our group already forced a FAM to move out of their reserved seat - the FAM had no choice but to either move or expose themselves. Most of us know that FAMs occupy at least one aisle seat in FC on narrowbody aircraft, quite often it's the 2nd or 3rd row (of 4) and they tend to sit opposite each other, one row apart when both are in FC.

Otherwise, SHOULD something go awry as you fear, you can consider yourself semi-responsible for whatever may occur.
I think we can dispense with the dramatics

Believe me, ALL scenarios have been played out...and contingency plans in place to prevent another 9-11 from the air....
Nonsense - not all contingencies have been played out - there are plenty more that have never been considered, and some have been debated here. Your dramatic "prevent another 9/11" nonsense is really too much - another 9/11 is so far down on the threat/realism list that focusing so much energy and attention on it is laughable, if it wasn't so dangerous since we have other real threats continue to be ignored.

What your employer focuses on is fear mongering, theatrics and showmanship - not real work.

most are so blended-in you'd take them either for young business executives or obnoxious tourists on holiday depending on the flight/destination(s)...
Thanks for my morning laugh.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 9:40 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
most are so blended-in you'd take them either for young
business executives or obnoxious tourists on holiday...
depending on the flight/destination(s)...
That is, without doubt, the silliest thing I've read all month. I had one behind me coming home from London the other day. I knew he was a FAM and he knew I knew he was a FAM -- he seemed a bit scared that others might know, too:
  • Muscle bound
  • Buzz cut
  • Never reclined
  • Only drank water
  • Kept all possessions in underseat storage, and then next to him after take-off, despite having an entire, large overhead bin to himself in that cabin
  • FAs addressed all passengers by name except him
  • Sitting in a FAM favorite seat on an AA 777, 2A

His rather hot female colleague in business was less easy to spot, but spotted she was. I pointed them out to my colleague as we headed for passport control and said, "FAMs -- watch them head for the 'crew' line" and, indeed, they did.

As I said earlier in this thread, the greatest threat to flight security is unscreened cargo -- they should be sitting in the hold if they really want to be close to the action.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:38 pm

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(

Sorry, but You CANNOT win this one.

That's not entirely true, there is one way to win (see my post #36 in this thread). However, using that technique on purpose to free a seat could possibly get one in trouble.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Starwood/Marriott Plat, Others of little note
Hope that CSR and UA get written up and fined.

They're just doing their job. They're not trying to jack up your day. Just like you do what you're told in your job, so do they.
I know how they can really do their job well. How about getting assigned into a random seat, rather than the same one every time that just happens to be the best seat on the plane in that class?
Old Dec 10, 2007, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by jedison
I know how they can really do their job well. How about getting assigned into a random seat, rather than the same one every time that just happens to be the best seat on the plane in that class?
A random seat that's near the flight deck? Sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.