Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAMed Again, but maybe a solution

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
That's really beside the point right now.

Civilian federal? Makes no sense.
C'mon Spiff, you're not this obtuse.

Civilian aviation security personnel, like are required flying into DCA, but that are would be required

http://www.tsa.gov/lawenforcement/programs/aso.shtm

Really? So you're saying that the airlines can write the government a check and stop carrying air marshals?
Apparently so. If they feel the fines would be is less than the revenue gained, I don't see why not. Lots of businesses do this. Sometimes they even weigh the costs of potential lawsuits against revenue and make their decisions this way.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by law dawg
And possible mass murder, in an airport (the "other man" was a FAM):
http://www.wdsu.com/news/1475429/detail.html
Gott propped the bag against a counter across from the Southwest Airlines ticket counter, removed the gun and fired. He tried to squeeze off a second blast but the gun jammed. As travelers ran for cover, Southwest employee Lenny Tully, aided by co-worker Ricardo Parris and customer Timothy Freeman, tackled Gott.
So it must be Timothy Freeman that is the FAM based on what you said. If that is true, then it looks like you have outted a FAM.

I don't think that he was required to prevent the "mass murder" given the facts that came out in court, but I do appreciate his involvement in subduing Gott.

And loads of stuff you aren't aware of. Don't put too much of that probing stuff out there (where FAMs have been on), because it might scare away the passengers.
You mean like the four supposed "terror dry runs" discussed in this thread that were disseminated in July? The TSA can't help itself. It trumpets all, even when proved wrong. There is no credible "loads of stuff."
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:15 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by Djlawman
Except, of course, the goods which drug companies are required to give to the FDA (AT GUNPOINT!!!!!) so that the FDA can conduct testing on the drugs being placed into the stream of commerce; and

Except, of course, the several copies of each car which the automakers are required to provide to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration so that it can conduct front-end impact, side impact, and now rollover tests on each vehicle (It's Detroit! It must be GUNPOINT!!!); and

Except for the examples of hazardous substances which companies are required to provide for testing to agencies including OSHA; and

Except for the continuous food samples which food processors are required to give to the FDA for testing (i.e., for safety reasons to determine if there is e-coli in your lettuce, or mad cow disease in the beef you are eating); and

Shall I continue?
Oh, please do.

I decided to check out your examples. Hey guess what? There are laboratories that do testing for the FDA. Yup, as long as the testing site is FDA-approved, manufacturers have a choice as to who they go to in order to comply with the FDA.

The government does not show up, pocket some pills and then scuttle off with their booty.

NTSB: (from the Wikipedia)

"The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is an independent organization responsible for investigation of accidents involving aviation, highway, marine, pipelines and railroads in the United States. It is charged by the U.S. Congress to investigate every civil aviation accident in the United States, as well as significant accidents in other modes of transportation (such as the Big Bayou Canot train disaster near Mobile, Alabama). The organization is also in charge of investigating cases of hazardous waste releases that occur from modes of transportation. Mark Rosenker was appointed as Vice Chairman in 2003 and Acting Chairman in March 2005. He has held the position of the Chairman since August 2006. Robert Sumwalt is the vice chairman. The board is based in Washington, D.C."

Oops.

Perhaps you're thinking of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ?

"How does NHTSA choose vehicles to rate? Why isn’t my vehicle being rated?

Every year the agency chooses those new vehicles which are predicted to have high sales volume, those which have been redesigned with structural changes, or those with improved safety equipment. This allows us to provide star rating results that best represent what is actually being purchased in the marketplace. These vehicles are purchased from dealerships from across the country, just as you the consumer would. The vehicles are not supplied directly to NHTSA by the manufacturer – a common misperception.

Since NHTSA selects vehicles for rating based primarily upon sales volume, not all vehicles can be rated. Those with smaller sales volume may not have been selected. Even though a vehicle may not have been rated under the New Car Assessment Program, all vehicles sold in the U.S. are certified by the manufacturer as complying with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards."

Oops.

Chemical testing and food testing - also done by independent laboratories.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
But they are not equivalent risks - if you had to assign resources to both, and could not assign equal resources, which risk should get priority?
Well, seeing as how the FAM budget in 2005 was $613 million out of $5.3 billion for TSA, I'd say it's not a question of resources.

And as for equivalent risk - how many hijackings have occurred historically versus bombings?

Risk is partitioned in two ways - likelihood versus severity. For instance, if my house is hit by a meteor the severity is extreme, but the likelihood is low. Contrawise, if my house is hit by hail, the severity is less but the likelihood greater.

And, historically speaking, the hijacking is the hail. It's damaging, but not as bad as bombs. It just happens more often. And sometimes, like on 9/11, it's a really bad storm.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:19 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
C'mon Spiff, you're not this obtuse.

Civilian aviation security personnel, like are required flying into DCA, but that are would be required

http://www.tsa.gov/lawenforcement/programs/aso.shtm

Apparently so. If they feel the fines would be is less than the revenue gained, I don't see why not. Lots of businesses do this. Sometimes they even weigh the costs of potential lawsuits against revenue and make their decisions this way.
Ok, so if the civilian aviation security personnel are on board, then the airline can seat them where they like? Could they sell them seats at a discount to entice them to fly, rather than being forced to accommodate them for free? Can they specify which weapons, if any, they may carry?
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
So it must be Timothy Freeman that is the FAM based on what you said. If that is true, then it looks like you have outted a FAM.

I don't think that he was required to prevent the "mass murder" given the facts that came out in court, but I do appreciate his involvement in subduing Gott.
I don't know what his name was or if that was him or if he was someone else in the mix who's name wasn't in the paper. I just heard one of them was a FAM and he knocked the gun out of the guy's hands. I'd call that substantive.

You mean like the four supposed "terror dry runs" discussed in this thread that were disseminated in July? The TSA can't help itself. It trumpets all, even when proved wrong. There is no credible "loads of stuff."
Nope, I mean stuff that hasn't seen the light of day, told by friends of mine I would trust my kids' lives to. And I've seen their reports.

All in all it was spooky stuff, but violated no laws.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:23 pm

Ok, so if the civilian aviation security personnel are on board, then the airline can seat them where they like? Could they sell them seats at a discount to entice them to fly, rather than being forced to accommodate them for free? Can they specify which weapons, if any, they may carry?
I would assume all of that would be negotiated, although some of it, on both sides, would be set in stone.

If the airline was forced to utilize/carry them it would have to be free. In essence, they would be an employee of the airline, like an armed security guard would be in a bank, although with more training.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:27 pm

Oh, please do.

I decided to check out your examples. Hey guess what? There are laboratories that do testing for the FDA. Yup, as long as the testing site is FDA-approved, manufacturers have a choice as to who they go to in order to comply with the FDA.

The government does not show up, pocket some pills and then scuttle off with their booty.

NTSB: (from the Wikipedia)

"The National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) is an independent organization responsible for investigation of accidents involving aviation, highway, marine, pipelines and railroads in the United States. It is charged by the U.S. Congress to investigate every civil aviation accident in the United States, as well as significant accidents in other modes of transportation (such as the Big Bayou Canot train disaster near Mobile, Alabama). The organization is also in charge of investigating cases of hazardous waste releases that occur from modes of transportation. Mark Rosenker was appointed as Vice Chairman in 2003 and Acting Chairman in March 2005. He has held the position of the Chairman since August 2006. Robert Sumwalt is the vice chairman. The board is based in Washington, D.C."

Oops.

Perhaps you're thinking of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ?

"How does NHTSA choose vehicles to rate? Why isn’t my vehicle being rated?

Every year the agency chooses those new vehicles which are predicted to have high sales volume, those which have been redesigned with structural changes, or those with improved safety equipment. This allows us to provide star rating results that best represent what is actually being purchased in the marketplace. These vehicles are purchased from dealerships from across the country, just as you the consumer would. The vehicles are not supplied directly to NHTSA by the manufacturer – a common misperception.

Since NHTSA selects vehicles for rating based primarily upon sales volume, not all vehicles can be rated. Those with smaller sales volume may not have been selected. Even though a vehicle may not have been rated under the New Car Assessment Program, all vehicles sold in the U.S. are certified by the manufacturer as complying with all applicable Federal motor vehicle safety standards."

Oops.

Chemical testing and food testing - also done by independent laboratories.
But they're all products being taken from the manufacturer to ensure safety compliance.

So, my question to you is still-

If minimum standards were set, would you be opposed to mandatory air marshals on planes, so long as the airline contracted them privately and they weren't employed by the government?

As it exists right now, just a private air marshals.

If not that, what would be palatable?
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:35 pm

I don't know what his name was or if that was him or if he was someone else in the mix who's name wasn't in the paper. I just heard one of them was a FAM and he knocked the gun out of the guy's hands. I'd call that substantive.
Substantive? You now say that you "heard" one was a FAM, don't know his name, etc.? The basis that one was a FAM is tenuous at best based on this. But then again, I guess this is better than knowing first-hand who he was because otherwise you would be subject to your own edict:

Hope that CSR and UA get written up and fined.

Nope, I mean stuff that hasn't seen the light of day, told by friends of mine I would trust my kids' lives to. And I've seen their reports.

All in all it was spooky stuff, but violated no laws.
Another one of the "told by friends of mine scenarios". Doesn't violate any law, but is spooky? If it is that spooky, you can find a law that was violated.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:46 pm

Programs: UA, SWA, HA, Qantas
Originally Posted by HeHateY
useless aircop
Are we back to this stuff again? I thought the board had been "pretty good" lately.

I don't mean disagreeing with the program, disagree all you want. The officer who works a flight, no matter what seat, does not get to pick and choose. That is assigned at a much higher level.

Please continue to express your displeasure with elected officials and Senior Executive Service (SES) salaried individuals who are decision makers in various governmental agencies. But the individual FAM show's up to go to work and does not get to make these decisions.

I can't speak for all FAMs, but I know I (and most I have worked with) take steps to let the airline know they can release any seat we may be booked on if we are rerouted, cancelled, switched, ect. Airlines don't like getting heat from their customers, and it travels downhill, hence damage control when I can.

Of course if you must blame the individual, have at it. It is not anything any peace officer has not dealt with in their career, no matter what agency or assignment.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 5:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
...And as for equivalent risk - how many hijackings have occurred historically versus bombings?
Worldwide, the numbers are not very different. In the US, the edge goes to hijackings only due to the spate of 'take me to Havana' runs during the 60s and 70s. Bomb attacks against North American airliners or flights from North American airports (many more have occurred overseas) include Air India, a failed attack on Air India (bomb went off in NRT bag transfer room), Pan Am 103, TWA 800 (allegedly, but still under controversial debate), TWA 841, and TWA 840. If you back out the Havana hijackings, then the scale tips the other way towards bombings as the more frequent event.

Risk is partitioned in two ways - likelihood versus severity. For instance, if my house is hit by a meteor the severity is extreme, but the likelihood is low. Contrawise, if my house is hit by hail, the severity is less but the likelihood greater.
Given the relative ease with which it could be pulled off, a bomb attack is far more likely than a hijacking, however both are equally severe. 9/11 was one exceptional hijacking, a completely different event than all the hijackings before it - taking 9/11 out of the equation tilts the severity index way back towards bombings. 9/11 didn't 'change everything', it was simply an exception event which required rewriting certain rules which existed at the time .
Old Oct 17, 2007, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by ND Sol
Substantive? You now say that you "heard" one was a FAM, don't know his name, etc.? The basis that one was a FAM is tenuous at best based on this. But then again, I guess this is better than knowing first-hand who he was because otherwise you would be subject to your own edict:
Not really.

Another one of the "told by friends of mine scenarios". Doesn't violate any law, but is spooky? If it is that spooky, you can find a law that was violated.
Not really.

For instance, if I walked up and down the aisle of the plane, making a throat-slitting gesture at passengers, what federal law have I broken?

But creepy? Very, IMO.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 7:13 pm

Programs: AA DL HH
9/11 was one exceptional hijacking, a completely different event than all the hijackings before it - taking 9/11 out of the equation tilts the severity index way back towards bombings. 9/11 didn't 'change everything', it was simply an exception event which required rewriting certain rules which existed at the time .
Historically, I will agree that 9/11 was the hijacking anomaly, however, it is now the operational standard by which all others will be compared.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 9:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by gofast
Historically, I will agree that 9/11 was the hijacking anomaly, however, it is now the operational standard by which all others will be compared.
Which is an extremely dangerous frame of mine, and the planners of these atrocities are well aware of it.

It should be considered an individual event, just another event in a long list of evolving threats to civil aviation which exploited a known weakness - unprotected flight decks and cooperative passengers and crew. The hole they exploited is now plugged, yet other gaping holes remain which no one pays attention to - except perhaps those planning the next horror.
Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:37 am

Programs: AA DL HH
Which is an extremely dangerous frame of mine, and the planners of these atrocities are well aware of it.

It should be considered an individual event, just another event in a long list of evolving threats to civil aviation which exploited a known weakness - unprotected flight decks and cooperative passengers and crew. The hole they exploited is now plugged, yet other gaping holes remain which no one pays attention to - except perhaps those planning the next horror.
I should have added ..."at DHS" to the end of my comment. I agree that a bomb in cargo is the frontrunner. But, int'l terrorists like spectacular events...and 9/11 was certainly that, and it is well known that they are training to do it again. Unfortunately, the cockpit doors are not as secure as you woyld think and the passengers/crew are not as prepared as you would hope to provide any kind of credible resistance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.