Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAMed Again, but maybe a solution

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by sinanju
And, yet, that's only one of the more identifying characteristics, the rest of which you fail to address.
I fail to address them because they're not under the purview of the airlines. They're not relevant to that discussion.

Here's an idea... if they don't want to be a uniformed service, buy a fricken ticket and be a passenger. That way, from a boarding/seating perspective, nobody knows them from any other government employee flying at the GSA rate. That's, at least, addresses your issue. How about the rest?
That in no way addresses the preboard issue.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:49 pm

Programs: constantly questioning DHS
[/QUOTE] How about this - FAMs and LEOs preboard due STRICTLY to the airlines.

Isn't this one of the main ways LEOs are spotted?

The airlines have, to date, refused to budge on the issue. It is an airline policy and exists nowhere else. But they enforce it.[/QUOTE]

The issue with pre-boarding has to do with a Federal Aviation Regulation (F.A.R.) (public knowledge) that requires that all armed individuals be aware of one another, yet not be officially introduced to FAM's, since the FAM regulation overrides the F.A.R. Airlines have no real way of doing this without breaking anyone's cover, whether they are 'covert' or not - which then breaks the FAM regs. Pre-boarding, has, in the past, been the way to accomplish this when there were not many FAM's. With the increase, the difficulties in accomplishing the F.A.R. have increased.

I am happy not to pre-board FAMs on my carrier - just let us know the rules, since DHS owns them.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:49 pm

No... nobody thinks he's a FAM. It's pretty clear that, rather than speaking for the FAM or TSA service, likes to openly imagine what he'd do were either organization in the unfortunate position of considering his employment.
Ad hominem. Edit your post please and take the stuff about me out of it.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:52 pm

Programs: constantly questioning DHS
And, yet, that's only one of the more identifying characteristics, the rest of which you fail to address.

Here's an idea... if they don't want to be a uniformed service, buy a fricken ticket and be a passenger. That way, from a boarding/seating perspective, nobody knows them from any other government employee flying at the GSA rate. That's, at least, addresses your issue. How about the rest?
PLEASE buy tickets. If FAMs bought Government Rate tickets, at least then we would not have lost revenue.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by jetboyds
The issue with pre-boarding has to do with a Federal Aviation Regulation (F.A.R.) (public knowledge) that requires that all armed individuals be aware of one another, yet not be officially introduced to FAM's, since the FAM regulation overrides the F.A.R. Airlines have no real way of doing this without breaking anyone's cover, whether they are 'covert' or not - which then breaks the FAM regs. Pre-boarding, has, in the past, been the way to accomplish this when there were not many FAM's. With the increase, the difficulties in accomplishing the F.A.R. have increased.

I am happy not to pre-board FAMs on my carrier - just let us know the rules, since DHS owns them.
I fly as a FLEO quite a bit and I have many, many times not preboarded and met the FAMs and other LEOs. It can easily be done and without breaking covers.

At this time preboarding someone with a gun is beyond ridiculous.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:54 pm

PLEASE buy tickets. If FAMs bought Government Rate tickets, at least then we would not have lost revenue.
I'll be more convinced of this argument when the airlines don't lose revenue in the myriad number of other ways they do with regulatory compliance matters.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:56 pm

I will not. I am not attacking you... I am attacking your open fantasizing about what folk in other jobs do and think -- you honestly have no actual idea as one who does not actually how those jobs. This buffer will not fit the number of links that support the argument and I suggest those interested simply look to your other postings to do their own research.
"unfortunate position of considering his employment"

That is insulting.

And you have no idea who I am or what I do. Many on this board do. You're not one of them.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:56 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by law dawg
I fail to address them because they're not under the purview of the airlines. They're not relevant to that discussion.
We were told, by one who identifies themself as a FAM, that the problems are all carrier restrictions. I claim they are not and provide points you have not refuted.

That in no way addresses the preboard issue.
Indeed, it does. They buy a ticket as a passenger at a GSA rate and board as a passenger with everyone else. The carrier has no idea a FAM is aboard. This, clearly, can only improve their cover.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:58 pm

And you have no idea who I am or what I do. Many on this board do. You're not one of them.
I read what you write. Is that not representative?

Last edited by sinanju; Dec 12, 2007 at 9:04 pm
Old Dec 12, 2007, 8:59 pm

We were told, by one who identifies themself as a FAM, that the problems are all carrier restrictions. I claim they are not and provide points you have not refuted.
I have told you the airline issue. That's the only one.

Indeed, it does. They buy a ticket as a passenger at a GSA rate and board as a passenger with everyone else. The carrier has no idea a FAM is aboard. This, clearly, can only improve their cover.
I am a FLEO who travels on passenger tickets. You are not and do not. Don't tell me what the issue is. If you fly with a gun, you preboard.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 9:03 pm

If you fly with a gun, you preboard.
If you want to keep your weapon a secret that, amongst many other things, must change.
Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:20 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Folks, can we ask a huge favor of all of you??

If you have an issue with either a post or poster here in TS/S, would you please click on the red triangular icon in the bottom left corner and report it? We'll then take a look at the situation and correct if necessary.

Would you please not report it and then immediately launch into an attack on whoever you have an issue with? We're monitoring this forum pretty close but occasionally we have to take potty breaks and the like.

we promise to address the situation as soon as humanly possible.

Thanks for your patience.

Cholula
Travel Safety/Security Forum Moderator
Old Dec 12, 2007, 11:31 pm

I'm sure most rank and file FAMs would back you 100% since, as a revenue passenger, they would accrue mileage benefits.

TB
Old Dec 13, 2007, 1:55 am

[QUOTE=sinanju;8869414]That is, without doubt, the silliest thing I've read all month. I had one behind me coming home from London the other day. I knew he was a FAM and he knew I knew he was a FAM -- he seemed a bit scared that others might know, too:
  • Muscle bound
  • Buzz cut
  • Never reclined
  • Only drank water
  • Kept all possessions in underseat storage, and then next to him after take-off, despite having an entire, large overhead bin to himself in that cabin
  • FAs addressed all passengers by name except him

there's alot of different kinds of Fed that this person could be,
    including that oxymoron of all, military intelligence . . . *smirk*

there is also special couriers part of the US State Dept
    Diplomatic Security Service... there is also several kinds of Fed Marshals
    there's the FAM, but the real fun stuff is with Executive Protection or
    further up the "food chain" with CSS/CIA or better yet, NSA SIGINT
    and the MT WEATHER gang...

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Sitting in a FAM favorite seat on an AA 777, 2A

I sit in 2A alot on most flights and I am NOT an FAM.

Last edited by Krakajax; Dec 14, 2007 at 12:23 am
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:03 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen

What your employer focuses on is fear mongering, theatrics and showmanship - not real work.

Why ' work ' when the ' King's ' Puzzle Palace has the
' peasants ' in the ' fields ' including Crystal City to
' pull in the ' harvest ' . . .

Thanks for my morning laugh.

hope you didnt spill your $4.00 Starbucks Latte

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.