Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAMed Again, but maybe a solution

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2007, 4:22 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by law dawg
A random seat that's near the flight deck? Sure.
Yeah, so the terrorist knows exactly the first person to take out.
Old Dec 10, 2007, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Krakajax
FAMs do sit in coach and they do sit upfront as well on some flights.
Unless a FAM is off-duty, the plane is single class (e.g. WN) or another FAM (or two) is already seated in FC, at least nine times out of ten the FAM will be sitting in FC.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:45 am
Suspended

Just be sure to give the FAM a nod and say, "Morning officer" when you get on board. Also, write editorials to as many papers as you can noting how easy it is to stop the federal air marshall. Not much you can do otherwise.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by thegeneral
Just be sure to give the FAM a nod and say, "Morning officer" when you get on board. Also, write editorials to as many papers as you can noting how easy it is to stop the federal air marshall. Not much you can do otherwise.
I use a more subtle approach if I sit next to one: "Flying a lot of segments today?"
Old Dec 11, 2007, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Krakajax

IF there is an FAM upfront you can COUNT on (at least) a second FAM
to the rear.
That is just so wrong. Most of the time both FAM's will be in FC.

The problem that FAM's are faced with by being in FC is the process of elimination. Take away those in window seats, take away couples or others seated together, take away those drinking alcoholic beverages, take away children and older adults, take away those that are sleeping, take away those that are working on non-FAM business papers and the universe of possibilities greatly narrows.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 12:57 pm

Programs: Delta Pb Medallion
So who thinks I'm being stupid for picking 2B on a NW A320 and then 2D (right-side aisle) on a NW CR9?

FC is relatively open right now, but I don't want to get bumped to a window seat, to Row 1 (no leg room for my tallness) or Row 4 (with Y right behind me). Maybe I should switch to Row 3 just to be safe.

I'm going in and out of DCA, which makes me think I have higher-than-normal odds for getting FAMed.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 1:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cs19
So who thinks I'm being stupid for picking 2B on a NW A320 and then 2D (right-side aisle) on a NW CR9?

FC is relatively open right now, but I don't want to get bumped to a window seat, to Row 1 (no leg room for my tallness) or Row 4 (with Y right behind me). Maybe I should switch to Row 3 just to be safe.

I'm going in and out of DCA, which makes me think I have higher-than-normal odds for getting FAMed.
2C and 2D (and 3 C/D) are very likely targets for FAM seating - I'd go for the window, as it's the only safe place. If you must have an aisle, do the bulkhead, then row 4.

Often you will find one FAM in 2C or D and the other in 3 C or D - although there is anecdotal evidence that one of them is being seated in coach these days, but I wouldn't bet my seat on it.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Better than one far back unable to do anything. At least up there they have a fighting chance. And maybe they'll give the pax enough time to get into the fight.

Of course, if they're against the window then they have a body between them and the aisle, making it harder to "take them out...."
Old Dec 11, 2007, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Better than one far back unable to do anything. At least up there they have a fighting chance. And maybe they'll give the pax enough time to get into the fight.

Of course, if they're against the window then they have a body between them and the aisle, making it harder to "take them out...."
Old Dec 11, 2007, 3:26 pm

I understand writing op/eds about these procedures (procedures most FAMs are against as well, by the way) but what's to be gained by jacking with some poor ....... just doing his job?

Of course it should also be noted that if you jack with people, they may jack back.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 3:34 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
I understand writing op/eds about these procedures (procedures most FAMs are against as well, by the way) but what's to be gained by jacking with some poor ....... just doing his job?
Poor ....... indeed, sitting in F, typically about as well disguised as an unmarked Crown Victoria.

Of course it should also be noted that if you jack with people, they may jack back.
They'll say "Good morning" to me too?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 3:41 pm
Suspended

2FAM's? Damn, that's a pretty big chunk of plane space for the airlines to give up on every flight. I thought that it was spotty as to them being on all flights. Was I mistaken?
Old Dec 11, 2007, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by ralfp
Poor ....... indeed, sitting in F, typically about as well disguised as an unmarked Crown Victoria.
Some are indeed better than others in this regard.

They'll say "Good morning" to me too?
Probably a little different response, I'd wager.
Old Dec 11, 2007, 4:05 pm

Programs: constantly questioning DHS
2FAM's? Damn, that's a pretty big chunk of plane space for the airlines to give up on every flight. I thought that it was spotty as to them being on all flights. Was I mistaken?
Yes...and give up we (airlines) do. I cannot say exactly what seats and what aircraft and what flights (that would be breaking the law), but I can say that a very large piece of revenue is taken out of First Class, especially for those carriers without upgrades (3 class AA/UA, VX) or all business class (SilverJet/EOS/Midwest, etc).
Old Dec 11, 2007, 4:28 pm

Based on what I have been able to ascertain, FAM's are on about 5% of flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.