Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAMed Again, but maybe a solution

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2007, 2:15 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Originally Posted by law dawg
I made a whole list of them. It appropriates capital from the airline, because the airline has to pay for them. It takes money out of their pocket. You can argue that one is a service and one is a cost, but it still costs them, which makes them either both theft or neither. You can't have it both ways.
As I told you quite clearly, safety-related regulations never demand that the airlines purchase their products from the government. Also, there is no other instance that I can think of where the government wets its beak by appropriating goods and services rather than through the normal taxation channel. Can you?

Are you insane? FAMs would pull heat and demand their seats?

It's happened before and no guns were pulled. Several times. The airline just received a nice little fine, just like it would if it was found negligent of any other regulatory violation.
No, I'm not insane. Perhaps not the air marshals, but someone, backed up with the force of a gun, would prevent that flight from operating. I really doubt that "Pay Fine, Heat Off" is a viable option for an airline not wishing to accommodate air marshals for free.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Djlawman
Useless arguing with a person who only hears what they want to hear.
I'm with you 100% on that one.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Djlawman
Great, let's let a vote of frequent flyers pissed about being bumped out of their upgrade seats determine the nation's security policies.
Pretty condescending statement, there. Firstly, I only select window seats - so I've never been 'bumped' by a FAM, nor am I at risk for being bumped, since it's common knowledge that FAMs only sit in aisle seats, and usually in the middle rows of the cabin.

Second, you don't know anyone's background here or what our expertise is any more than we know if you're actually law enforcement or not. I'm happy to debate aviation security policy and procedures with anyone from the DHS or TSA all day long. One professor in particular (now a globally respected airport consultant) trained me very well on risk management and what should and should not pass the smell test when it comes to security and deriving a quantifiable result from any given policy and he, like most of my professors, was ex-military.

You can dump all the classified threat documents you want on my desk, but unless a policy is going to generate a quantifiable benefit and manage risk intelligently, it's all window dressing and paranoia that at the end of the day, will be much ado about nothing.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 2:50 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
You need to see some of the flights I've been on then. I'd have owned that plane, had I wanted it.
Assuming what....that you had a gun or knife? Nothing personal, but it's highly doubtful it's as easy as you make it out to be - just rushing the flight deck and disabling everyone up there, including people who rush to intervene? No one is going to roll over and let you have your way - they will fight back.

Depends on the plane, view of the flight deck, etc.

And an inch in combat is often the difference between life and death, success and failure.
It's a highly dramatic characterization - if an inch is so important, why not seat the FAMs at the forward jumpseat? Why not seat them in the first row of FC instead of the second or third?

And possible mass murder, in an airport (the "other man" was a FAM):
http://www.wdsu.com/news/1475429/detail.html
Another highly dramatic example - and who grabbed the nutty guy first, the FAM or the USAirways employee? If the FAM wasn't there, would everyone just stand around and let him shoot? The FAM made no difference here other than being at the right place and time.

And loads of stuff you aren't aware of. Don't put too much of that probing stuff out there (where FAMs have been on), because it might scare away the passengers.
I'm sure you can provide some examples, although I can just ask my source for some - 'probing stuff' is pretty vague. I do know there are plenty of run-through training exercise, which take place in controlled environments with known participants playing rolls - helpful for training, but not necessarily a realistic representation of real life.

Funny, some of the very people you describe are now also in high management positions. They sold out pretty quick.

There are lots of changes that need to happen to the FAMS, many of which the front-line FAMs have argued for. I won't argue that.
If formerly capable people are now DHS bureaucrats and part of the problem, then they need to go.

That's like a SWAT guy worrying about whether or not his counterparts in Narcotics are doing their job.

You are comparing two different jobs. The job of a FAM isn't do to bomb screening. A FAM is on scene. The bomb screening is done by someone else.

Although I'd be the first to say we need better screening, this one has nada to do with the FAMS.
It has everything to do with comparing risks - the risk of another 9/11 v. the risk of a bomb detonating in cargo. We have two risks, one since mitigated by reinforced and locked flight deck doors and heightened 'screening', the other is a very real risk with multiple examples of fruition which has received just about zip, zero, zilch focus and attention from a risk management standpoint.

So - which risk should be worried about? The one with a single, highly difficult to execute example, already easily mitigated by physical and procedural changes, or another risk which is easy as pie to pull off, has been experienced often and hasn't been mitigated in the slightest?
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by Spiff
As I told you quite clearly, safety-related regulations never demand that the airlines purchase their products from the government. Also, there is no other instance that I can think of where the government wets its beak by appropriating goods and services rather than through the normal taxation channel. Can you?
So, if the airlines were forced to carry non-government FAMs, you'd be okay with it?

Civilian FAMs, as it were?

No, I'm not insane. Perhaps not the air marshals, but someone, backed up with the force of a gun, would prevent that flight from operating. I really doubt that "Pay Fine, Heat Off" is a viable option for an airline not wishing to accommodate air marshals for free.
Any time the airline denies boarding the airlines are fined. They don't have a cap busted in 'em.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Assuming what....that you had a gun or knife? Nothing personal, but it's highly doubtful it's as easy as you make it out to be - just rushing the flight deck and disabling everyone up there, including people who rush to intervene? No one is going to roll over and let you have your way - they will fight back.
Don't need to, just run up, hit the unobservant FA in the back as she serves the flight deck, shut the door and then the fight is on in the flight deck. Everyone else is locked out. And even if they subdue me in the process, do you think having a fight in the flight deck is healthy?

Give me some approved TSA implements and then my chances go up even more.

It's a highly dramatic characterization - if an inch is so important, why not seat the FAMs at the forward jumpseat? Why not seat them in the first row of FC instead of the second or third?
They often are.

And, as mentioned, many FAMs have argued for jumpseating. But that leaves the pax kind of on their own, I guess.

Another highly dramatic example - and who grabbed the nutty guy first, the FAM or the USAirways employee? If the FAM wasn't there, would everyone just stand around and let him shoot? The FAM made no difference here other than being at the right place and time.
That's the majority of LEO work - right person, right place, right time.

I'm sure you can provide some examples, although I can just ask my source for some - 'probing stuff' is pretty vague. I do know there are plenty of run-through training exercise, which take place in controlled environments with known participants playing rolls - helpful for training, but not necessarily a realistic representation of real life.
Know, I mean crazy things happening on real flights. There have been a number of reports made.

If formerly capable people are now DHS bureaucrats and part of the problem, then they need to go.
Agreed.

It has everything to do with comparing risks - the risk of another 9/11 v. the risk of a bomb detonating in cargo. We have two risks, one since mitigated by reinforced and locked flight deck doors and heightened 'screening', the other is a very real risk with multiple examples of fruition which has received just about zip, zero, zilch focus and attention from a risk management standpoint.
I'd agree with that statement. But if you've been surprised by an attack before you have to guard against it still. I don't think the door is sufficient, based upon my observations and experience.

So - which risk should be worried about? The one with a single, highly difficult to execute example, already easily mitigated by physical and procedural changes, or another risk which is easy as pie to pull off, has been experienced often and hasn't been mitigated in the slightest?
Yes.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA DL HH
I really doubt that "Pay Fine, Heat Off" is a viable option for an airline not wishing to accommodate air marshals for free.
Wrong, it has happened numerous times. Some airlines have gotten away with it, some airlines/captains have been fined $22k per incident, some employees have been suspended or fired; but not a single one has had a gun pointed at them, let alone been arrested or indicted. Get over yourself.

This whole "seat theft"/1984 notion is baseless and lame. There are plenty of Orwellian/Bush policies that really and truly need to be rolled back. Maybe we should keep our collective eye on the prize, instead of our upgrades.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:37 pm
Original Member

Except, of course, the goods which drug companies are required to give to the FDA (AT GUNPOINT!!!!!) so that the FDA can conduct testing on the drugs being placed into the stream of commerce; and

Except, of course, the several copies of each car which the automakers are required to provide to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration so that it can conduct front-end impact, side impact, and now rollover tests on each vehicle (It's Detroit! It must be GUNPOINT!!!); and

Except for the examples of hazardous substances which companies are required to provide for testing to agencies including OSHA; and

Except for the continuous food samples which food processors are required to give to the FDA for testing (i.e., for safety reasons to determine if there is e-coli in your lettuce, or mad cow disease in the beef you are eating); and

Shall I continue?
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:38 pm

...Yes.
"yes" to which example?
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:43 pm

So, if the airlines were forced to carry non-government FAMs, you'd be okay with it?

Civilian FAMs, as it were?
That's really beside the point right now.

Civilian federal? Makes no sense.

Any time the airline denies boarding the airlines are fined. They don't have a cap busted in 'em.
Really? So you're saying that the airlines can write the government a check and stop carrying air marshals?
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by gofast
Wrong, it has happened numerous times. Some airlines have gotten away with it, some airlines/captains have been fined $22k per incident, some employees have been suspended or fired; but not a single one has had a gun pointed at them, let alone been arrested or indicted. Get over yourself.

This whole "seat theft"/1984 notion is baseless and lame. There are plenty of Orwellian/Bush policies that really and truly need to be rolled back. Maybe we should keep our collective eye on the prize, instead of our upgrades.
So, as I asked another poster, the airline can just pay its way out of carrying air marshals?

It's not just upgrades. Some of us do pay F from time to time.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
"yes" to which example?
Yes.

Both. Both are concerns.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 3:55 pm

So, as I asked another poster, the airline can just pay its way out of carrying air marshals?
So far, AFAIK. It's not a widespread practice by any means.

As for you paying full-fare for your F seat: congratulations, .....you are the 1 in 10,000 who is willing to pay that much for that little.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:00 pm

As a pragmatist, I would be willing to consider the airline proposals for hiring their own private security. I'm sure some of the Blackwater guys would be willing to help out.
Old Oct 17, 2007, 4:04 pm

Yes.

Both. Both are concerns.
But they are not equivalent risks - if you had to assign resources to both, and could not assign equal resources, which risk should get priority?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.