Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:03 pm

Programs: Miles&More Blue, SPG Silver
Originally Posted by LoganTSO
Then what presenting ID to our brethren over in CBP to enter the country, something that is required at every single border checkpoint in every country of the world, whither it be air, sea or land?
In this case you have to show a passport which is much more complicated to counter fit. Your passport is also in most cased swiped and check against a database. Newer passports have biometric pictures and other more advance security meassures. Within the Schengen Area in Europe there are no border checks. And at the end don't confuse an US driver license with an ID. The one is a document the allows you to drive a vehicle, a passport is a document that has measures in place to verify your identity and citizenship. Also a country has the right to control who enters the country especially if these are foreigners and not citizens of the country.

Do not confuse the topic of travel within a country with traveling between two different countries.

Originally Posted by SDF_Traveler

If your friend was able to make his way to a US Port of Entry, then he would have the right of entry as a citizen.
Continental was doing nothing wrong. They only accept passports with including visas as valid documentation and clearly say so. To travel abroad without a passport to prove your citizenship is negligent.

Last edited by flyingfkb; Nov 20, 2009 at 2:10 pm
Old Nov 20, 2009, 2:12 pm

Programs: BAEC G/*O E
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I think that the verb here is wrong.
Point I was making is that law doesn't stipulate you MUST present your ID to TSA staff. Accordingly law which doesn't exist cannot be enforced.
If you are challenged by TSA employee or a stranger it is up to you whether you wish to show them your ID. Failure to do so cannot and should not lead to any legal action (and taking into custody is most definitey a legal action).
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
Originally Posted by polonius
Has seeing 1/2 million people die every year in auto accidents changed your mind about driving? Has seeing 2 million die every year of heart disease changed your mind about fast food? Have millions of AIDS deaths changed your mind about sex? If not, then why can't you tolerate a few dozen deaths in exchange for your freedom?
Are you kidding with this "analogy?" All of the examples you provided are almost entirely avoidable with proper care while still allowing participation in the activity. For example, most auto accidents can be avoided through defensive driving; most fast-food related heart disease can be avoided by eating it in moderation, in combination with an otherwise healthy diet; HIV/AIDS can be avoided through the use of prophylactics. In those examples, the participant is in control of the consequences... whether s/he dies as a result of non-congenital heart disease, transmitted immune disease, or (generally) avoidable car accident is within their control.

Whether someone dies as a result of a hijacking is entirely out of their control. The only way to avoid such a death is either not to fly, or to prevent hijackings. The former is not an acceptable solution.

Note that I am not stating that I agree with the TSA, its practices, or the concept that ID checks equal security. Relying on falsifiable documents with no cross-checks as a means of "security" is laughable, at best. (It is immaterial whether the documents are "hard" to falsify; if they are falsifiable at all, they are useless for real security.)

The reason terrorist acts inspire terror is exactly because of that loss of control; most people like to think they are largely in control of the consequences that befall them, and when that proves to be untrue (as in the case of being unable to walk to your local grocery, or get on an airplane, without fear of death), they get understandably frightened. While heart disease, car accidents, STDs, drug overdoses, and many other things may kill vastly more people per year than does terrorism, the former are all (almost entirely) controllable by the people who suffer those deaths; the latter is not, which is why your analogies are really not applicable.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:34 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by RichMSN
No idea, but I am an excitable boy.
Well, any man that's hung out down on Alvarado Street by the Pioneer Chicken stand has got my vote... just as soon as I finish listening to the air conditioner hum here at the Hollywood Hawaiian.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 3:36 pm

I was randomly browsing the Burbank Airport website when I came across this notice:

TSA I.D. Requirements Now in Effect at Checkpoint

As of June 21, 2008, the Transportation Security Administration will deny access to the secure area of airports to passengers who willfully refuse to provide identification at the security checkpoint.

Click here for more information

Click here for more information on acceptable forms of identification at TSA.gov
In that it links to a TSA Press Release...
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/...uirements.shtm
Old Nov 21, 2009, 5:59 pm

It is interesting to note they used the term "passenger".
So by their own release, if I am NOT a passenger, than I am exempt from their nonsense ID check?
We all know that many have access to the sterile area with no checks of any kind.
I say if you are going to play with big boys, you had better have everything carefully worded and double checked by some legal guy. It wouldn't be the first time that a carelessly worded document got someone into trouble.
I would expect more from a US Government agency.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Pluma
It is interesting to note they used the term "passenger". So by their own release, if I am NOT a passenger, than I am exempt from their nonsense ID check?
Nope. They said (paraphrasing) "if you're a passenger, and you refuse to show ID, you'll be denied access to the sterile area". That says absolutely nothing about being a non-passenger and seeking access to the sterile area.

Yes, I teach mathematical logic, why do you ask?
Old Nov 21, 2009, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, National Emerald Executive, TSA Disparager Gold
Originally Posted by Pluma
It is interesting to note they used the term "passenger".
So by their own release, if I am NOT a passenger, than I am exempt from their nonsense ID check?
We all know that many have access to the sterile area with no checks of any kind.
I say if you are going to play with big boys, you had better have everything carefully worded and double checked by some legal guy. It wouldn't be the first time that a carelessly worded document got someone into trouble.
I would expect more from a US Government agency.
Well, TSA has Francine the Googling lawyer so it's quite possible that this is something they created.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 3:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
As of June 21, 2008, the Transportation Security Administration will deny access to the secure area of airports to passengers who willfully refuse to provide identification at the security checkpoint.
That sounds to me like it only effects someone who HAS an ID in his pocket but does refuse to show it, hence the term willfully.

I would interpret it that if someone states he forgot his ID at home or whatever else plausible excuse the he can enter the sterile area after additional security measurements aka secondary screening. If they then find the ID in your pocket you might be in trouble, how far I cant tell... depends on what power TSA has in this case to involve a LEO in case that it violates any law (which I doubt).
Old Nov 22, 2009, 6:06 am
Suspended

Sign Of The Times

I don’t have a shred of sympathy for the position that we’re all being too paranoid when we imply that the U.S. is heading in the direction of Nazi Germany or Oceania.

I just dropped my wife off at the airport this morning. We walked into an almost empty airport, walked directly up to the ticket counter, checked her bag, and then proceeded up the escalator toward the gates. There, in what might have otherwise been a nearly vacant terminal, was a long zigzag line of people winding back and forth as people patiently waited their turn to get through the security screening. Under the watchful eye of the TSA, you don’t dare tell a joke or make any disparaging remarks about how slow and inefficient they are. You stand there, making the effort to look carefree, nonthreatening, and most of all, respectful. You sense that you are trying to pass a test based entirely on the subtleties of your behavior. Your entire day, if not your entire trip depends on whether just one of these “screeners” singles you out for special treatment. After you’re through, you breath a sigh of relief. You’ve made it past the one hurdle of your expedition ruled entirely by a bureaucracy over which you have no control.

Britain is on the fast track toward making that a way of life, not just in airports, but in all public places. And, from there, they will bring it into people’s homes. Once legitimized in Europe, the “land of the free” is certain to follow suit. The idea that government control over people’s everyday lives, in order to be a real threat, must take on a particular look as spelled out by history or some work of fiction, is so ludicrous that it’s stunning that anyone would even suggest it.
Link for context
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
That sounds to me like it only effects someone who HAS an ID in his pocket but does refuse to show it, hence the term willfully.

I would interpret it that if someone states he forgot his ID at home or whatever else plausible excuse the he can enter the sterile area after additional security measurements aka secondary screening.
And why should there be a difference?
Old Nov 22, 2009, 11:29 am

Programs: TSA TSO
Originally Posted by PTravel
I'll bet there are plenty of countries that do exist that most TSOs have never heard of, so what is the point of checking ID?
Like Nagorno-Karabakh, Somaliland, Transnistria, Abkhazia and South Ossetia, Northern Cyprus or Western Sahara? How about micronations like Sealand and Hutt River Province or virtual states like Freedomstaki and Supremedonia?

(The last two are my own creations...)
Old Nov 22, 2009, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Yes this gives them an out to cover people who got their wallet stolen, etc. But lets them jerk around ACLU types.
Old Nov 22, 2009, 12:13 pm

cross-reference related FT posts

Originally Posted by WBurcham
I was randomly browsing the Burbank Airport website when I came across this notice:
TSA I.D. Requirements Now in Effect at Checkpoint

Click here for more information

Click here for more information on acceptable forms of identification at TSA.gov
In that it links to a TSA Press Release...
http://www.tsa.gov/press/happenings/...uirements.shtm
See also the following FlyerTalk threads:
Old Nov 22, 2009, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
Phil, I know you have to be cautious about what you post here, but I'm curious about your friend's status. Was there any substantive legal reason given for asking him to leave the airport? I take it that TSA had nothing to do with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.