Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Safety/Security > Checkpoints and Borders Policy Debate
Reload this Page >

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flyer “Processed” (Arrested?) in NM After Declining to Show ID

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:36 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by DevilDog438
Pseudoephedrine-based medications are the most effective OTC product for managing my allergy symptoms. However, due to this craptastic invasion into my lifestyle by the nanny-state governments (both federal and Maryland), I no longer purchase them.
I am sure that you are aware that pseudoephedrine is used in the illicit manufacture of methamphetamine.

In 2006, Congress enacted legislation restricting purchases of pseudoephedrine by individuals to 3.6 grams a day and 9 grams in a 30 days period.

Most states maintain databases to track purchases of products containing pseudoephedrine and block sales in excess of those limits.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TWA884
I am sure that you are aware that pseudoephedrine is used in the illicit manufacture of methamphetamine.....
Yes, but I don't care. Why should I be inconvenienced and tracked because people cannot control themselves?
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:45 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Status is a half dozen.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Yes, but I don't care. Why should I be inconvenienced and tracked because people cannot control themselves?
^

We are punished - we can no longer purchase a useful product freely without interference or government tracking due to legislation that doesn't particularly solve anything. (The drug producer finds another way to do business, the drug addict finds another way to score and neither ends up on trial or given the help needed.)

Wish the justice system could work a little faster so thread tangents could be minimized.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:46 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by bocastephen
It is not people who cannot control themselves. It is the government restricting the availability of a key ingredient in the manufacture of an illegal drug.

Originally Posted by ArizonaGuy
We are punished - we can no longer purchase a useful product freely without interference or government tracking due to legislation that doesn't particularly solve anything.
An alternative would be to require doctors' prescriptions to purchase medications containing pseudoephedrine. Tracking purchases is a much lesser burden.

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Dec 18, 2010 at 7:11 pm Reason: merge consecutive posts
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It is not people who cannot control themselves. It is the government restricting the availability of a key ingredient in the manufacture of an illegal drug.
People cannot control themselves, hence they start using a drug they should never have gone near in the first place. Their foolhardy addiction is not my problem.

Let the government go after the manufacturers of the drug and leave my Sudafed alone!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Dia, SPG Gold, MR Plat, Hertz PC
I am sure that you are aware that pseudoephedrine is used in the illicit manufacture of methamphetamine.

In 2006, Congress enacted legislation restricting purchases of pseudoephedrine by individuals to 3.6 grams a day and 9 grams in a 30 days period.

Most states maintain databases to track purchases of products containing pseudoephedrine and block sales in excess of those limits.
My apologies for continuing down this OT rabbit-hole (this will be my last post in the Sudafed OT trail).

Yes, I do realize that, thanks very much for the condescension. Personally, I have taken plenty of meth-heads to the hospital as a result of their addiction and the behaviors espoused when high as a fracking kite on the crap.

This is an intrusive tracking mechanism, which, IMO, goes too far. If it is that damn vital, declare it a Schedule II/III and require prescriptions. Warrantless tracking of people who are not active suspects in a criminal investigation is another symptom of government overstepping its defined boundaries.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by pmocek
I've never been required to present documentation of my identity in order to get a medical exam, and though it's been over a decade since I filled a prescription, I didn't have to do so then, either. I've never heard of any law requiring such in either situation, so I suspect that anyone who does so, does so voluntarily....
I had to prove my identity just yesterday when I showed up for a medical procedure. I suppose that guards against insurance fraud and protects the doctor against inadvertent malpractice. Anyway, I didn't object at all.

I have never had to present an ID to get a prescription filled -- not even prescriptions for family members of the other gender. No questions asked, basically. I probably wouldn't object in that case, either, because it serves a legitimate purpose: stopping strangers from stealing other people's prescriptions, for one thing.

The TSA's ID checks are meaningless. Anyway, when the government does something, it's more restricted than when private parties do the same thing. Our Constitution says so.

Bruce
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bdschobel
I had to prove my identity just yesterday when I showed up for a medical procedure. I suppose that guards against insurance fraud and protects the doctor against inadvertent malpractice. Anyway, I didn't object at all.

I have never had to present an ID to get a prescription filled -- not even prescriptions for family members of the other gender. No questions asked, basically. I probably wouldn't object in that case, either, because it serves a legitimate purpose: stopping strangers from stealing other people's prescriptions, for one thing.

The TSA's ID checks are meaningless. Anyway, when the government does something, it's more restricted than when private parties do the same thing. Our Constitution says so.

Bruce
Just last week I had to show my ID to fill a schedule III prescription written by my doctor. I also have to show ID to buy pseudoephedrine. It is absolutely insane. I was against the regulations when they started and I am against them now. I am tired of being "tracked" because the government thinks it is helping us. If someone is a meth head, put them in treatment or put them in jail. The onus should not be placed on honest citizens that are just trying to live their lives.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TXagogo
Just last week I had to show my ID to fill a schedule III prescription written by my doctor. I also have to show ID to buy pseudoephedrine. It is absolutely insane. I was against the regulations when they started and I am against them now. I am tired of being "tracked" because the government thinks it is helping us. If someone is a meth head, put them in treatment or put them in jail. The onus should not be placed on honest citizens that are just trying to live their lives.
Federal law requires the presentation of an ID for schedule III medication. Various state and federal laws regulate the sale of pseudoephedrine.

Any other ID requirement, either on the part of a doctor or pharmacist, are merely the business policy of the particular practitioner and have absolutely nothing to do with whether TSA and/or a LEO can demand production of an ID at an airport as a condition of travel.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:45 pm

and as we get off topic even further, the amounts they restrict us to also tend to preclude the purchase of two boxes at one time. Really sucks for those of us that like to keep some at home and at the office plus a small section of a box in the vehicle...

Obviously the legislatures never had members who were allergy sufferers or they would realize the restrictions to such low numbers is stupid.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 6:58 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TXagogo
Just last week I had to show my ID to fill a schedule III prescription written by my doctor.
Switch pharmacies.

Originally Posted by PTravel
Federal law requires the presentation of an ID for schedule III medication.
You want to double check that assertion with the CSA?

Last edited by Ari; Dec 17, 2010 at 7:05 pm
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ari
Switch pharmacies.

You want to double check that assertion with the CSA?
Not really. If it's wrong, it's wrong. The point is that what a private business does has nothing to do with what a state actor does.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:17 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Federal law requires the presentation of an ID for schedule III medication.
Not really. If it's wrong, it's wrong.
It is wrong. I'm just surprised that you would state something as legal fact without any basis in the law whatsoever.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
The point is that what a private business does has nothing to do with what a state actor does.
Yup. You can always patronize another pharmacy. You can't choose another government. We have only one.

Bruce
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:21 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bdschobel
You can't choose another government. We have only one.
We were supposed to have 50 choices, but the unchecked expansion of the powers of the federal government make your post a reality.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.