Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
What types of purchases qualify for the Local Commuter Transportation category?

Merchants in the Local Commuter Transportation category include regional operators of local commuter passenger trains, subways, metro, buses, taxis, and ferries. Please note that some merchants that provide transportation and related services are not included in this category; for example, national and international trains (such as Amtrak), airport shuttles/limousines, parking lots/garages, tolls/bridges, airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, vacation clubs, tour operators, and some municipal/government owned entities.
(Source: Chase Freedom FAQ)
Print Wikipost

Freedom 2017 5X calendar published.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
They work for travel on CSR but not as gas purchases on Freedom unless sold at a gas station.
I think he means it should code as transportation. It would be interesting to see if you would also get Starpoints on the Gift-card purchase considering what's happening with the Starwood/Uber partnership.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by freeflyin
I might suggest you test this with a small value item. It would be terrible to discover after purchasing the cards,that the Visa coding was incorrect.

Congratulations!
The purchase did indeed code as 5x
Old Feb 25, 2017, 6:23 pm

1st Quarter Creative Spend Freedom

My wife and I both have freedom cards..so to max out 3,000 in spend every quarter in the bonus categories we typically have to resort to buying gift cards from Amazon, Drug Stores, Restaurants, etc...

The gas quarter is always a tough one. Many places I've checked don't sell gift cards. Others have told me they can only sell gift cards to cash customers.

Is there any online vendor that I can purchase gift cards and have it code in a way that would qualify for the freedom 5x bonus this quarter?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K - 2.1MM, HH LT Diamond, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob
I suggest checking out the Manufactured Spending forum. There is a gas station thread that may be helpful.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:07 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

I have appended your post to the existing thread. Reviewing earlier posts may give you some ideas.

Originally Posted by fastpoint
The gas quarter is always a tough one.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by aoumd
The purchase did indeed code as 5x

Do you mean on your purchase of uber gift cards? I know that uber and lyft rides are part of the category bonus but I am wondering if purchasing gift cards directly from uber or lyft sites will code? I am trying to max out before the months end.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 1:46 pm

Still waiting for my replacement Freedom cards. Don't think I'll be able to participate this quarter.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
Do you mean on your purchase of uber gift cards? I know that uber and lyft rides are part of the category bonus but I am wondering if purchasing gift cards directly from uber or lyft sites will code? I am trying to max out before the months end.
Yes, Uber gift cards purchased through the app earn the 5% bonus. Just send the card to yourself using your phone number and it automatically adds to your app account. The charge comes from "BC UBER GIFT CARD" and codes as travel.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by jnb_tx
Yes, Uber gift cards purchased through the app earn the 5% bonus. Just send the card to yourself using your phone number and it automatically adds to your app account. The charge comes from "BC UBER GIFT CARD" and codes as travel.
what about gc purchased directly form Uber site
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by jnb_tx
I'm going to max this out with gift cards; we've confirmed that it works with Uber, has anybody done a Lyft gift card and had it code as 5x? I use both interchangeably depending on surge, so would be nice to load both up with like $250 at 5x each.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
what about gc purchased directly form Uber site
I'm not sure about the Cashstar site for Uber GC. It works directly from the Uber app, so why risk it when it's so simple?
Old Mar 9, 2017, 7:23 am

I did a small test Lyft gift card (bought in the app) and it posted at 5x. Also confirmed that Uber gift cards bought in the app are posting at 5x.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
It looks like Grocery Stores and Pharmacies were announced as the second quarter bonus categories. Should make for an easy quarter.
Old Mar 15, 2017, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
It looks like Grocery Stores and Pharmacies were announced as the second quarter bonus categories. Should make for an easy quarter.
The announcement was a while ago (see Dec. 29 posts on this thread, for example), but registration for the 2nd quarter bonus started today. No news yet on the 3rd and 4th quarters.

Last edited by Steve in Olympia; Mar 15, 2017 at 9:55 am
Old Mar 15, 2017, 10:01 am

Wish they'd separate grocery and drug stores.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.