Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
What types of purchases qualify for the Local Commuter Transportation category?

Merchants in the Local Commuter Transportation category include regional operators of local commuter passenger trains, subways, metro, buses, taxis, and ferries. Please note that some merchants that provide transportation and related services are not included in this category; for example, national and international trains (such as Amtrak), airport shuttles/limousines, parking lots/garages, tolls/bridges, airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, vacation clubs, tour operators, and some municipal/government owned entities.
(Source: Chase Freedom FAQ)
Print Wikipost

Freedom 2017 5X calendar published.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:08 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by donotblink
Does Uber qualify under the Q1 5% bonus?
Yes. If you use Search this Thread with the keyword Uber you will find the answer in post 16.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:22 am

Amazon GC at the local 7-11 (with attached gas station) counted as 5x. So it looks like Q1 this year is 80% Amazon GC, 20% gas.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Need
Amazon GC at the local 7-11 (with attached gas station) counted as 5x. So it looks like Q1 this year is 80% Amazon GC, 20% gas.
Has anyone tried the 7-11's in NYC that do not have gas stations attached?
Old Jan 11, 2017, 7:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by donotblink
Has anyone tried the 7-11's in NYC that do not have gas stations attached?
I don't know about NYC, but in general, some 7-11s with no gas stations still code as gas, but a lot of 7-11s with no gas stations code as groceries. There's basically no telling if you don't how a specific one codes, because it varies from one 7-11 to the next in the same town. It's not by town or city or state or anything like that. So there'd presumably be no consistent pattern across all of NYC either.

For all I know, it might depend on whether the franchisee of that 7-11 also franchises a 7-11 elsewhere with a gas station attached. Perhaps it's one coding per owner, as opposed to a separate coding for each location?

If you can't find reports about a specific 7-11 you could use, do a small "test" purchase at a 7-11 you're considering (either with Freedom or another Visa) and see how it reports to Visa. Any one given 7-11 will report the same on a stick of gum or cup of coffee as a $$$ gift card, if using a credit card on the same network.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 7:59 pm

Programs: Southwest, Delta, Hyatt & IHG
Good tip: Do not forget to present your Plenti card or swipe your Plenti card first to earn points that you can apply at Exxon gas stations. On top of the 5 points per dollar spent by Freedom card.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:52 pm

https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/

Just search for gas in your area. Oddly, my local health food store codes as gas, haven't tested it yet but that would be cool
Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jeffersun
https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator/

Just search for gas in your area.
How? The site seems broken. When I click the list of Industry Segments, it just shows Agricultural through Automotive Tires, and I can't find a way to scroll/jump to Gas.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 11:00 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
... broken....of Industry Segments, it just shows Agricultural through Automotive Tires, and I can't find a way to scroll/jump to Gas.
There is a scrollbar on the right (see using a Chromebook, version 55).
Old Jan 16, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Today I learned that:

1) The 7-Eleven around the corner from me is coded as a gas station per the Visa website linked on this thread.

2) This 7-Eleven carries high denomination Amazon Gift Cards.

3) My pregnant wife scrupulously calculated the cost of remaining items she needs to get for our upcoming arrival that she wants to get on Amazon. While it's a good bargain considering the price range of the items on that list (my wife is smart and did her homework), it's not an insignificant total on an absolute basis.

I think you can see where this is going.

Thank you Chase Freedom .
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:11 pm

Speedway

I haven't set foot inside a gas station since I don't know how long, but thanks to this quarter I have. Speedway has a few gift cards (I bought a year's worth of Netflix one day, and some Amazon today) all for 5x.

Also, Washington DC SmarTrip cards are coding as 5x category spend. We are going in a few months, and I ordered the $10 card for each of us, and will increase value once received.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by aoumd
Today I learned that:

1) The 7-Eleven around the corner from me is coded as a gas station per the Visa website linked on this thread.

2) This 7-Eleven carries high denomination Amazon Gift Cards.

3) My pregnant wife scrupulously calculated the cost of remaining items she needs to get for our upcoming arrival that she wants to get on Amazon. While it's a good bargain considering the price range of the items on that list (my wife is smart and did her homework), it's not an insignificant total on an absolute basis.

I think you can see where this is going.

Thank you Chase Freedom .
I might suggest you test this with a small value item. It would be terrible to discover after purchasing the cards,that the Visa coding was incorrect.

Congratulations!
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
There is a scrollbar on the right (see using a Chromebook, version 55).
Hm. It's working today for me on Chrome at work, while it wasn't working for me over the weekend on Chrome at home.

And I noticed something very interesting: A 7-11 very close to my home, which I know from experience codes as Groceries on an Amex Everyday, is on this list as coding as Gas for a Visa. (In fact, all the 7-11s around my home on this Visa list show as coding as Gas, none as Groceries, none as Convenience Stores.)
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Two points:

Has anyone ever tried buying Speedway cards using their bulk discount? I'm wondering if it codes as a gas station. I'm thinking it might code as online merchant or something like I've seen hotel or airline gift cards code as in the CSR travel reimbursement thread.
https://www.speedway.com/Cards/BulkPurchase

I learned about that while pumping gas. There was a sign advertising bonus speedy rewards points for every $100 purchased and then it mentioned a bigger discount for larger orders and gave an 800 numver. I found that link above on their website.

I'm definitely gonna buy a gift card as Speedway is the cheapest station near me. For January I've been getting 300 speedy bonus point by filling up in ten gallon increments. I realized I've been missing out on the extra points from getting the gift card and then using those at the pump.

Yeah the speedy rewards aren't worth much but it's extra for buying the cheapest gas by me and using up the quarterly Freedom category.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:13 pm

Does Uber sell gift cards directly that would work?
Old Jan 18, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by briguy13
Does Uber sell gift cards directly that would work?
They work for travel on CSR but not as gas purchases on Freedom unless sold at a gas station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.