Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
What types of purchases qualify for the Local Commuter Transportation category?

Merchants in the Local Commuter Transportation category include regional operators of local commuter passenger trains, subways, metro, buses, taxis, and ferries. Please note that some merchants that provide transportation and related services are not included in this category; for example, national and international trains (such as Amtrak), airport shuttles/limousines, parking lots/garages, tolls/bridges, airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, vacation clubs, tour operators, and some municipal/government owned entities.
(Source: Chase Freedom FAQ)
Print Wikipost

Freedom 2017 5X calendar published.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2016, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Yes, Visa requires pay-at-the-pump transactions to use MCC 5542, "automated fuel dispenser" regardless of what sort of business owns the pump. You'll get your 5% at the pump whether it's a 'regular' gas station, a truck stop, a fleet fuel station with a cardlock, or a Costco. I'm sure it's possible, but I've never seen one set up wrong.

If you pay inside, a regular gas station should use 5541 "service stations" and you'll also get your 5%, but I've run into a couple when using my B of A 3% card that are coded as fast food restaurants, convenience stores or repair shops. Unsurprisingly lots of these are non-chain stations that also have a Subway or a repair shop attached.

It should include snacks and beer bought in the gas station unless their terminal is set up wrong, see above.

Car washes have their own MCC (7542), but a car wash that sells gas is a gas station by Visa's rules and should be coded as a gas station.
But are Visa's rules on this really enforced, or just guidelines / suggestions?

I've seen claims (in the EMV thread) of other Visa rules (such as that all kiosks should be able to accept EMV cards without a PIN), followed by data points of places in Europe where kiosks very much required a PIN.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But are Visa's rules on this really enforced, or just guidelines / suggestions?

I've seen claims (in the EMV thread) of other Visa rules (such as that all kiosks should be able to accept EMV cards without a PIN), followed by data points of places in Europe where kiosks very much required a PIN.
They're enforced to the same extent as any other Visa rules, which is to say not all that well.

That said, there's little to no benefit to a merchant whose MCC is wrong, and it's not the merchant who picks it--the processor decides. In the specific case of pay-at-the-pump, the installer or processor would have to intentionally screw up the installation to get it wrong--with no possible benefit to anyone.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Yes, Visa requires pay-at-the-pump transactions to use MCC 5542, "automated fuel dispenser" regardless of what sort of business owns the pump. You'll get your 5% at the pump whether it's a 'regular' gas station, a truck stop, a fleet fuel station with a cardlock, or a Costco. I'm sure it's possible, but I've never seen one set up wrong.
So what are you saying? You think it will work for 5x or not?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
So what are you saying? You think it will work for 5x or not?
It depends on what color the gas pump handle at the Costco is
Old Dec 29, 2016, 6:28 am

It depends on what color the gas pump handle at the Costco is
Are you sure about the color thing?.....😜
Old Dec 29, 2016, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Teckelspass
Are you sure about the color thing?.....😜
The color thing is equivalent to

Both are just a cute way of saying "it's pretty much unpredictable" whether it'll earn 5x or not.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
The color thing is equivalent to Fizzbin rules.

Both are just a cute way of saying "it's pretty much unpredictable" whether it'll earn 5x or not.
I know! (Not that gullible). I was only kidding, but apparently my emoticon did not come through
Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:46 pm

Does anyone know if both the transaction date and post date have to be in the quarter to qualify for the bonus or just the post date? So if I buy gas on the 30th of this month but it won't post until a couple days later (in the next quarter) would it count towards next quarters bonus?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:00 pm

The bonus will be based on the transaction date shown in your account, not the post date.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, IC Plat Amb, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Q1: Gas stations and local commuter transportation

Not useful, I dont use local commuter and I buy gas gift card at 20% discount.

Q2: Grocery Stores (not including Walmart and Target) and Drug Stores

Not useful either. I buy sometimes supermarket gift cards at 20% discount and the rest use 6% amex blue cash

Maybe good for MS a bit.

Q3: Summer fun and more

Lets hope it is travel or something like that

Q4: Holiday and more

Amazon please
Old Dec 30, 2016, 11:52 am

too late to order costco gift cards on freedom for 5x?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Blueskyheaven
too late to order costco gift cards on freedom for 5x?
Well, the previous posts say it's based on transaction date so you should be good. I got mine done Wed just in case. I should've hit the gift cards to max out 3rd quarter.
Old Dec 30, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Isn't it a pain to rotate your spend based on these quarterly categories?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
[QUOTE=eajusa;27682897]Isn't it a p

Yes a little but the rewards really add up when used with the CSR.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 4:20 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
So today is the last day of 4Q2016. I bought $100 in gift cards at Walgreens and have ~500 points left to earn before maxing out the 4Q2016 bonus category, so in theory today's purchase should do it. Which makes me now wonder: does the TRANSACTION date or the POSTED date or both have to be within the given quarter to get the 5X? This transaction was today but the post date may not be until the 3rd...

Happy New Year!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.