Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
What types of purchases qualify for the Local Commuter Transportation category?

Merchants in the Local Commuter Transportation category include regional operators of local commuter passenger trains, subways, metro, buses, taxis, and ferries. Please note that some merchants that provide transportation and related services are not included in this category; for example, national and international trains (such as Amtrak), airport shuttles/limousines, parking lots/garages, tolls/bridges, airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, vacation clubs, tour operators, and some municipal/government owned entities.
(Source: Chase Freedom FAQ)
Print Wikipost

Freedom 2017 5X calendar published.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I presume this only works for shopping at macys.com, not at Macy's brick&mortar stores, right? So to me that's not "at Macy's", but "at macys.com". (When people say "at Macy's" without qualifying, to me it should mean both/either online or in person.)
Well, by definition in the context of Diplomatico's post, UR shopping portal is online .com shopping. One can not "shop through" the Chase UR portal at a brick&mortar store.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Troopers
Well, by definition in the context of Diplomatico's post, UR shopping portal is online .com shopping. One can not "shop through" the Chase UR portal at a brick&mortar store.
I know that. I was just pointing out that the terminology used was the terminology typically used for brick & mortar shopping, and the terminology didn't make sense with UR portal shopping. (Before moving on to say why I see Macy's as mostly a store with things you have to try then buy in store -- clothes, etc -- and so I'm not quite what all this stuff that's worth buying on macys.com is.)

In some cases, the best points earning deals are (intentionally) on the things that most people don't have much use for, exactly because the're trying to get people to spend money they wouldn't otherwise.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:47 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
... I see Macy's as mostly a store with things you have to try then buy in store -- clothes, etc...
Go to Macys, choose a garment or several, buy, take home, wear a few times, launder a few times, decide what you like. Then, order a half dozen more from macys.com and earn bonus miles or points from a shopping portal.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 12:50 am
Original Poster

I presume this only works for shopping at macys.com, not at Macy's brick&mortar stores, right?
I know that.
Then why did you pose a question seeking confirmation of your presumption. You did know or you you did not. Make up your mind.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 9:44 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
One of the problems with Walmart is that it's not everywhere. It's everywhere for much of small-town or suburban America, but nowhere for some people who live in big cities. Walmart avoids (and/or is not allowed into ) some big cities.

So for those of us without a Walmart nearby, this promo is for department stores only plus walmart.com if we choose to use it with shipping (instead of store pick-up), unless we happen to end up near a Walmart in our travel this quarter.
Am I really reading that this is a negative because Walmart is inaccessible? Who is having problems finding a Wal-Mart and who is not going to drive by one within a 3 month period?

This one is huge for me
jjmiller69 and bbriscoe34 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
Go to Macys, choose a garment or several, buy, take home, wear a few times, launder a few times, decide what you like. Then, order a half dozen more from macys.com and earn bonus miles or points from a shopping portal.
I never want more than one of the same. So I don't want half a dozen more! I just want the one that I bought (often on clearance, so there isn't even any more necessarily).

And I only want it with the never-failing extra discounts they always give me at Macy's registers (I don't know why, but stuff I buy there regularly costs me 25% less or so than whatever the display said it would cost!). Do they really give never-failing random discounts online too?
Old Sep 23, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Super Mario
Am I really reading that this is a negative because Walmart is inaccessible? Who is having problems finding a Wal-Mart and who is not going to drive by one within a 3 month period?

This one is huge for me
If I didn't have such a weird work situation (I work so far from home that I commute from home only once a week, and stay in hotels near work inside the week), I would never be near Walmart. Yes, there's a Walmart near work, but there's none anywhere close to home (just outside Santa Monica CA), and nowhere that I would go near in 3 months (given L A traffic and just given where I need to go) either. There's everything else (Target, K-Mart, etc) so the average person here doesn't particularly have a need for specifically Walmart.

Yes, sometimes in travels I find myself near a Walmart, but not if I were at home (and working near home, like i have in the past). But I can't practically, for example, buy physically big items at Walmart if I'm only near a Walmart on a flying trip!

I suspect people whole live in midtown Manhattan NYC, for example, and don't travel to random suburbs for months at a time (maybe don't even have a car?), would be in a similar situation.

And so on, for a bunch of other big cities.

Walmart was founded in small-town America, and has had a hard time getting a foothold in many major metropolitan areas except in the far flung suburbs which many people who live in the "innards" of the area don't get to hardly ever.

But, of course, anyone who doesn't have a Walmart near them, it's because they have a plethora of "department stores" (the other category this coming quarter) near them.

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 23, 2017 at 10:32 am
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:08 pm
mia

I never want more than one of the same....:
We aren't really discussing you or me, we're discussing how people (in general) could shop both at Macys, and still use a shopping portal to shop at macys.com. I don't think it's rare to buy multiples of underwear, socks, shirts, etc. I'm not asserting that everyone does this, only that it's common. We don't need to do something personally to understand how it works.
Diplomatico and jjmiller69 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:03 pm

Correct me if I am wrong. Purchases from sears online website will trigger x5 too? I am curious because in walmart statement they also list the online website, but nothing mentioned about other merchants' websites.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by good_boy_1234
Correct me if I am wrong. Purchases from sears online website will trigger x5 too? I am curious because in walmart statement they also list the online website, but nothing mentioned about other merchants' websites.
Never tried with Sears but it should work. Whenever pharmacies were a bonus category, online orders from Walgreens and Rite Aid would count even though they didn't specify online orders.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:30 pm
mia

.... Purchases from sears online website will trigger x5 too? ...
Maybe. Some stores use a different merchant account, with a different classification, for their online business. There isn't anyway to know unless you have previously made a purchase from sears.com.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mia
There isn't anyway to know unless you have previously made a purchase from sears.com.
More specifically, if you previously made a purchase from sears.com with a Visa.

IIRC some merchants code differently with an Amex network card than a Visa network card, don't they?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 7:41 pm

Are you guys aware of any department store (of those get 5x) that sell target gift cards?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:50 pm

Are you guys aware of any department store (of those get 5x) that sell target gift cards?
If you have a DiscIT card, purchases at Target will give you 5% CB and if you're within the first year, that'll be doubled by the 13th statement.

I used my chipped Freedom card at WM and noticed it does not go to the signature screen after approval unlike Citi and Discover for huge purchases. My total was a little over $1500 and after getting approved, I was prompted to remove my card
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
If you have a DiscIT card, purchases at Target will give you 5% CB and if you're within the first year, that'll be doubled by the 13th statement.

I used my chipped Freedom card at WM and noticed it does not go to the signature screen after approval unlike Citi and Discover for huge purchases. My total was a little over $1500 and after getting approved, I was prompted to remove my card
Thanks but still looking for an answer to my question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.