Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
What types of purchases qualify for the Local Commuter Transportation category?

Merchants in the Local Commuter Transportation category include regional operators of local commuter passenger trains, subways, metro, buses, taxis, and ferries. Please note that some merchants that provide transportation and related services are not included in this category; for example, national and international trains (such as Amtrak), airport shuttles/limousines, parking lots/garages, tolls/bridges, airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, vacation clubs, tour operators, and some municipal/government owned entities.
(Source: Chase Freedom FAQ)
Print Wikipost

Freedom 2017 5X calendar published.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by freeflyin
According to a Chase rep, Q4 is Walmart and department stores
Walmart sells Amazon gift cards right?
Old Sep 13, 2017, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by Need
Walmart sells Amazon gift cards right?
Wrong, I think. At least they don't sell Amazon cards in my area. If I ran Walmart, there is no way in hell I would sell anything that would enrich one of my competitors.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA, AGR, DL, MR, WoH, UA
Sounds like I might be stocking up on Walmart gift cards to use at Sam's....
Old Sep 13, 2017, 5:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by bigbuy
Wrong, I think. At least they don't sell Amazon cards in my area. If I ran Walmart, there is no way in hell I would sell anything that would enrich one of my competitors.
I think you might have missed the "stick out tongue" emoji.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sechs
Sounds like I might be stocking up on Walmart gift cards to use at Sam's....
My thought exactly. Weird that they excluded Sam's Club from the promo - especially since they did wholesale clubs a couple year's back so clearly they have the technical capability to do it.

Good news is between Walmart and Department Stores you should be able to stock up on gift cards that you can either use yourself or use as gifts
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
This blows. Looks like zero Freedom spend for Q4 for me.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:21 am

Sucks. Looks like I'll only be able to get 5x points back when I do some inevitable Christmas shopping at some department stores.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
This is going to suck if this is true. Hopefully Kohl's will carry the Apple Watch 3, if I can get 7.5 percent back from the Q4 category along with the Kohl's points that will help lessen the sting of the watch price a little.

Guess chase freedom and discover won't be getting much of my business this quarter. I wish discover and chase would have had restaurants in different months. I need to stock up on Restaurant gift cards for Christmas gifts with my discover card in the next two weeks speaking of that.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:33 am

I'll probably use my freedom to buy shell gas gift cards at Walmart, unless they do not sell any gas cards.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by slm9555
I'll probably use my freedom to buy shell gas gift cards at Walmart, unless they do not sell any gas cards.
I was thinking of buying Walmart gift cards and using them for Gas at Sam's Club. I think Sam's still accepts Walmart cards.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

It's official...published on Chase.com.

The "Walmart" category does not include merchants operating within or on Walmart premises such as merchants that sell fast food, beauty services, and gas stations that are not Walmart branded. Walmart affiliate businesses such as Sam's Club are excluded and will not earn bonus rewards. Please see https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/merchants for merchants included and merchants not included in the Walmart Category. For more information, please see Chase Freedom Frequently Asked Questions. Visit Walmart.com to find the location nearest you.
The Department Store category does not include supercenters, discount stores or specialty stores (i.e. stores that sell primarily one line of products such as shoe stores, pet stores, electronics stores, clothing stores); if a merchant is not on the list, you will not earn bonus rewards. Department Store gift card purchases outside of the specific Department Store are excluded and will not earn bonus rewards. Please see https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/merchants/ for merchants included and merchants not included in the Department Store category. For more information, please visit chase.com/freedom and click on the “View Chase Freedom FAQs” link at the bottom of the page.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:37 pm

Do you all not have WM that sell 504.95 vgc?
Old Sep 14, 2017, 2:22 pm
NDN

Programs: Marriott Titanium and LTP, Hilton Gold, United Silver
Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Sure, with a debit card or cash
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
Yeah but mine doesn't accept credit cards for them.

It's weird Walmart is a merchant this quarter, usually they are excluded.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:25 pm

I'm a little confused by all the negativity about Walmart. I was planning on buying gift cards (not Visa) and I thought everyone else was doing the same. Would this not work?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.