Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
What types of purchases qualify for the Local Commuter Transportation category?

Merchants in the Local Commuter Transportation category include regional operators of local commuter passenger trains, subways, metro, buses, taxis, and ferries. Please note that some merchants that provide transportation and related services are not included in this category; for example, national and international trains (such as Amtrak), airport shuttles/limousines, parking lots/garages, tolls/bridges, airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, vacation clubs, tour operators, and some municipal/government owned entities.
(Source: Chase Freedom FAQ)
Print Wikipost

Freedom 2017 5X calendar published.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Need
It is described in the Wiki of this thread. Doesn't sound like Uber is included.
Nope, Uber and Lyft specifically INCLUDED: https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/merchants
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by crazytravelguy
I'm not sure what you mean, can you clarify?
Replaced quarter for "one".
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is described in the Wiki of this thread.
What's described there is Chase's claim.

However, based on my experience with other cards, you probably won't get 5x on a local commuter bus/rail line if the bus/rail line is operated by the city government and fare cards for that bus/rail line show "misc government services" as the merchant type.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: SW RR
Was hoping Costco would be added for Q1 2017. They did it for Q3 and Q4 2016
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: SW RR
Anyone know whether Costco gas stations qualify for 5%?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by vegaslover8
Anyone know whether Costco gas stations qualify for 5%?
Based on the exclusions listed on Chases website, I don't think so. It specifically excludes warehouse stores. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by ifish110
Nope, Uber and Lyft specifically INCLUDED: https://creditcards.chase.com/freedom/merchants
Oh wow nice. However I found it strange they put "restaurant" as an exclusion as a local commute spending. How and who would think that "restaurant" spending would belong in local commute?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 1:05 pm

Oh wow nice. However I found it strange they put "restaurant" as an exclusion as a local commute spending. How and who would think that "restaurant" spending would belong in local commute?
maybe some circular logic that someone gets starbucks every day on their commute?
Old Dec 15, 2016, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
Replaced quarter for "one".
Well, I'd like to max out the 5x for every quarter. That's 7500*3 more points than if I only do Q2-Q4.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Does Uber trigger the forex fee when used outside of the US? I know it quotes in the local currency but unsure of how it actually processes.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by eeflyer
Would've liked to see gas in the summer, but I'll take it! Also nice to see grocery stores again. Just hoping for Amazon sometime again, but that doesn't seem likely.
Get the Amazon Store Card. 5% all year round.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alggag
Does Uber trigger the forex fee when used outside of the US? I know it quotes in the local currency but unsure of how it actually processes.
Uber processes in local currency.

Originally Posted by mikex163
All 7-11 usually codes as gas stations for both Visa and Discover, even the ones without any pumps. I plan to buy something small early next year to check if this is still true in 2017.
Which isn't useful if you're like me and don't have any 7-11s within a reasonable distance I'd have to go to San Antonio or Austin to find a 7-11.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:25 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Oh wow nice. However I found it strange they put "restaurant" as an exclusion as a local commute spending.
Some toll roads have service plazas where gasoline, dining, and packaged food are available. Also, there is a restaurant chain named Subway, and no doubt there is someone who will argue that they saw subways on the list .
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by mia
Some toll roads have service plazas where gasoline, dining, and packaged food are available. Also, there is a restaurant chain named Subway, and no doubt there is someone who will argue that they saw subways on the list .
LOL good call on Subway!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Teckelspass
Based on the exclusions listed on Chases website, I don't think so. It specifically excludes warehouse stores. If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.
Actually, its possible as the costco gas has a different merchant code than the warehouse. My Ink plus get 2x on gas at the pump there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.