Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
What types of purchases qualify for the Local Commuter Transportation category?

Merchants in the Local Commuter Transportation category include regional operators of local commuter passenger trains, subways, metro, buses, taxis, and ferries. Please note that some merchants that provide transportation and related services are not included in this category; for example, national and international trains (such as Amtrak), airport shuttles/limousines, parking lots/garages, tolls/bridges, airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, vacation clubs, tour operators, and some municipal/government owned entities.
(Source: Chase Freedom FAQ)
Print Wikipost

Freedom 2017 5X calendar published.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by aoumd
Which makes me now wonder: does the TRANSACTION date or the POSTED date or both have to be within the given quarter to get the 5X?
If you read back fewer than 10 posts before yours, you'll find this precise question discussed.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by eajusa
Isn't it a pain to rotate your spend based on these quarterly categories?
No. What's a much bigger pain is categories in which I have no spend to do in for a given quarter. What's much bigger pain is having to remember which cards to use once soon to avoid cancellation due to inactivity. What's a much bigger pain is figuring out when I'll finish meeting the minimum spend on a card so I can resume using my "normal" cards for whichever categories (instead of putting absolutely everything on the signup bonus card, at least if it's a big spend that's required). What's a much bigger pain is figuring which airline has availability when. What's a much bigger pain is figuring out how and when to defer expiration at various programs (that I don't "naturally" use that much).

Compared to all that, having one card that rotates categories once per quarter seems pretty painless. (Well, I also have Discover, but rarely use that since it's "only cashback".)

Keep in mind that rotation is the only reason these categories are 5%. If you don't like rotation that much, "settle for" 1.5% and just get the Freedom Unlimited card.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:10 pm

The hardest part is to remember to stop using it when it hits the $1500 limit. Last year hitting the limit was really easy with Costco spent. Each trip to Costco is never under $200. Would have been nice if they kept the Costco thing going this year.
Old Jan 1, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
The biggest pain is having to listen to Samuel L Jackson whine endlessly about how complicated and hard this is.....

Last edited by philemer; Jan 1, 2017 at 1:30 pm Reason: rude comment removed
Old Jan 3, 2017, 7:48 pm

I use freedom for SAM Club Gas on 1/2/17, just post on my account tonight, 5% bonus

Last edited by cyster2007; Jan 3, 2017 at 9:41 pm
Old Jan 3, 2017, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by cyster2007
I use freedom for SAM Club Gas on 1/2/16, just post on my account tonight, 5% bonus
i did Costco gas purchase today. Will update when charge posts.
Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I received the 5x bonus after using a Kroger Fuel Center. ^
Old Jan 4, 2017, 9:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Teckelspass
i did Costco gas purchase today. Will update when charge posts.
I can confirm that Costco Gas earns 5%. Just as me and many others said it would. So...can we please put this uncertainty to bed? Cool.

Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:30 am
Suspended

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by krazykanuck
I can confirm that Costco Gas earns 5%. Just as me and many others said it would. So...can we please put this uncertainty to bed? Cool.

Thank you for confirming krazykanuck
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:37 am

Programs: STARS/LUMINOUS, PRIVE, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club
I can confirm as well. Showed as 5x points for me.

Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by zakami
I can confirm as well. Posted 5x points for me.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 10:36 am

Who said I doubted you? I suspected that all the indicators supported your prediction, but none of us really knew for sure until we had DPs from Costco. When gas was the bonus category for Freedom last, Costco did not yet accept Visa. Now it has been confirmed.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 3:54 pm

Programs: OWE
living in nyc, local commuter passenger transportation is a great category. Although i don't take trains and buses regularly, i can sure pick up monthly passes for my mom and earn a bonus. i wonder if uber online e-giftcard will code as the same category? anyone has experience with this? i find myself using uber a lot than getting on the subway, so this will definitely come in handy to buy giftcards for the year
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by zakami
I figured it would after Costco gas purchases didn't count toward 5x club/wholesale last quarter.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by staticx813
living in nyc, local commuter passenger transportation is a great category. Although i don't take trains and buses regularly, i can sure pick up monthly passes for my mom and earn a bonus. i wonder if uber online e-giftcard will code as the same category? anyone has experience with this? i find myself using uber a lot than getting on the subway, so this will definitely come in handy to buy giftcards for the year
Does Uber qualify under the Q1 5% bonus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.