Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mia
What types of purchases qualify for the Local Commuter Transportation category?

Merchants in the Local Commuter Transportation category include regional operators of local commuter passenger trains, subways, metro, buses, taxis, and ferries. Please note that some merchants that provide transportation and related services are not included in this category; for example, national and international trains (such as Amtrak), airport shuttles/limousines, parking lots/garages, tolls/bridges, airlines, hotels, car rental agencies, cruise lines, travel agencies, discount travel sites, vacation clubs, tour operators, and some municipal/government owned entities.
(Source: Chase Freedom FAQ)
Print Wikipost

Freedom 2017 5X calendar published.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by HGHUA
Actually, its possible as the costco gas has a different merchant code than the warehouse. My Ink plus get 2x on gas at the pump there.
If so, that would be great. I will plan to do a test purchase, and see what happens in early January, and will report back. Of course, if anyone finds out before me, please let us all know!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 6:38 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
deleted
Old Dec 16, 2016, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Teckelspass
If so, that would be great. I will plan to do a test purchase, and see what happens in early January, and will report back. Of course, if anyone finds out before me, please let us all know!
No point to do a test purchase, I trust it will work the same way as gas at Sam's club...

Actually, its possible as the costco gas has a different merchant code than the warehouse. My Ink plus get 2x on gas at the pump there.
Yeah I got 5x on my Freedom this year with gas at Sams Club in Q1. The MCC for the gas pumps is different than the warehouse. It's the same reason why people don't get 5x on Costco Gas when warehouse clubs is the category.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 6:06 am

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Ugggghhhh... now I have to figure out which gas stations I will be using for the next six months as I buy $1500 in their gift cards

Good thing I drive an SUV with rapt gas mileage right now for work
Old Dec 17, 2016, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mikex163
All 7-11 usually codes as gas stations for both Visa and Discover, even the ones without any pumps. I plan to buy something small early next year to check if this is still true in 2017.
Not so true in my experience. It's a random mix of coding as gas for some 7-11s, and as grocery for other 7-11s (that are stand-alone). So you have to figure out how each specific 7-11 codes, if you're using a card that doesn't give the bonus for both gas and grocery.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:46 am

Can anyone confirm whether Uber and Lyft are included in commuter transit for next quarter's 5% earn? It only indicates taxis, which I'd assume covers Uber rides as well.

NEVERMIND, I SEE IT NOW: THE ANSWER IS YES!
Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by OliverB
Can anyone confirm whether Uber and Lyft are included in commuter transit for next quarter's 5% earn? It only indicates taxis, which I'd assume covers Uber rides as well.

NEVERMIND, I SEE IT NOW: THE ANSWER IS YES!
Only problem is that I have to remember to switch the card back to CSR when the quarter is over and whenever I am outside of US.
Old Dec 21, 2016, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Yeah I got 5x on my Freedom this year with gas at Sams Club in Q1. The MCC for the gas pumps is different than the warehouse. It's the same reason why people don't get 5x on Costco Gas when warehouse clubs is the category.
Every Costco gas station I've ever bought gas at is coded as "automated fuel dispenser". (And yes, at 'regular' gas stations, the MCC is different--and occasionally wrong--if you pay inside vs. at the pump.)
Old Dec 21, 2016, 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by der_saeufer
Every Costco gas station I've ever bought gas at is coded as "automated fuel dispenser". (And yes, at 'regular' gas stations, the MCC is different--and occasionally wrong--if you pay inside vs. at the pump.)
So what are you saying? You think it will work for 5x or not?
Old Dec 21, 2016, 6:18 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
I don't have my statements handy but I'm pretty sure I got the 5% last year at Sam's club gas stations.
Old Dec 25, 2016, 9:34 am

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Gas Stations 5x question

This will be my first January-March with a Freedom Card.

Does anyone here know if the 5x bonus for gas stations includes purchases made at the mini-marts inside of gas stations? Or just actual gas?

Thanks!
Old Dec 25, 2016, 12:03 pm

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by aoumd
This will be my first January-March with a Freedom Card.

Does anyone here know if the 5x bonus for gas stations includes purchases made at the mini-marts inside of gas stations? Or just actual gas?

Thanks!
Most of the in store purchases, including gas gift cards are included. I fill up my car wash ticket for 6 months worth at a time when it's 5X's. ymmv
If the company is coded as gas station every thing will be good. I usually buy gas cards for 6+ months of purchases.
The only ones I've heard of that may vary are 7/11's some code as stores and some as gas stations? If it's a mini mart do you use the same check outs as the gas purchases?

Last edited by jjmiller69; Dec 25, 2016 at 12:08 pm
Old Dec 25, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Hilton Gold, Carnival VIFP Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by jjmiller69
Most of the in store purchases, including gas gift cards are included. I fill up my car wash ticket for 6 months worth at a time when it's 5X's. ymmv
If the company is coded as gas station every thing will be good. I usually buy gas cards for 6+ months of purchases.
The only ones I've heard of that may vary are 7/11's some code as stores and some as gas stations? If it's a mini mart do you use the same check outs as the gas purchases?
Thanks.

Now I gotta hope I can find a gas station minimart that sells more than just gas gift cards...I'm doing great with the drugstore near my office since I've been loading up on Amazon GCs pretty much every time I've gone there this fall...
Old Dec 26, 2016, 9:33 pm

Delta Sonic

Does anyone know if Delta Sonic codes as a gas station?
Old Dec 28, 2016, 8:13 am

Yes, Visa requires pay-at-the-pump transactions to use MCC 5542, "automated fuel dispenser" regardless of what sort of business owns the pump. You'll get your 5% at the pump whether it's a 'regular' gas station, a truck stop, a fleet fuel station with a cardlock, or a Costco. I'm sure it's possible, but I've never seen one set up wrong.

If you pay inside, a regular gas station should use 5541 "service stations" and you'll also get your 5%, but I've run into a couple when using my B of A 3% card that are coded as fast food restaurants, convenience stores or repair shops. Unsurprisingly lots of these are non-chain stations that also have a Subway or a repair shop attached.

Originally Posted by aoumd
It should include snacks and beer bought in the gas station unless their terminal is set up wrong, see above.

Originally Posted by D1BT
Does anyone know if Delta Sonic codes as a gas station?
Car washes have their own MCC (7542), but a car wash that sells gas is a gas station by Visa's rules and should be coded as a gas station.

Last edited by der_saeufer; Dec 28, 2016 at 8:41 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.