Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase allows points earned with different cards, or by members of the same household, or owners of the same business, to combine points in one Ultimate Rewards account.

These are the rules for personal cards:

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you or one member of your household.

Go to chase.com/ultimaterewards, call the number on the back of your card or visit a Chase branch to move your points.

You can't move points to another eligible card if either account is prohibited from earning or using points at the time you attempt to move the points.

These are the rules for business cards. (All INK cards are business cards.)

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, one member of your household, or your joint business owner, as applicable. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points.

Q: Ok, so I won't be violating any of the above rules. How do I combine or transfer my points?

A: Log in to your Chase Ultimate Rewards account. Click your point balance to reveal a drop down menu. Choose Combine points. You can then choose to move your points between your own credit card UR accounts, or "Add a Household Member" to transfer points to.

If you are experiencing technical problems combining points, please see Problems Combining UR points between accounts.

Combining is not the same as transferring. The rules for transferring to an airline or hotel program are subtly different. Those rules and procedures are discussed in another thread:

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts
Print Wikipost

Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I was told today by a Chase CSR that I can transfer points to my Sapphire Reserve card from only one other card per year. My attempt to transfer points from my spouse's Preferred card was denied because I had previously transferred from my Freedom card earlier this year.

I was not previously aware of this rule. I can't find this rule in Chase's FAQ's, and I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the blogs. Is this a new development?
Combine points from your spouse's Preferred to your Freedom. Then combine from your Freedom to your Sapphire Reserve.
mia likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2019, 7:19 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

I combined points from 3 cards into the CSR yesterday, both for myself and for my spouse. The sending cards were Freedoms and Inks, the receiving cards were both CSRs. We did not transfer to someone else, only combined/consolidated.
Steve in Olympia, do you see the menu as usual?
Old Jul 4, 2019, 8:24 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mia
I should be able to form an opinion tomorrow morning. Our cards all close on the 3rd, and I consolidate points on the 4th.
Everything works as usual. Moved points from my two INK Cash cards to spouse's Freedom, then moved points from that Freedom and her Freedom Unlimited to her INK Preferred.

However, this is all done using card pairs that are already linked on the Chase website. It sounds as if you are trying to create a new link, and it could be that the software which evaluates new links applies different criteria than in the past. We have some similar reports in this thread:

Problems Combining UR points between accounts
Old Jul 4, 2019, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by pallhedge
Combine points from your spouse's Preferred to your Freedom. Then combine from your Freedom to your Sapphire Reserve.
I received the "ineligible card" message when I tried to combine my spouse's Preferred to my Freedom, but I was successful in combining to my Ink card, and from there to my Reserve card, so a happy ending!

But I still don't understand exactly what the rules are..... but I appreciate everyone's help!

I hope everyone has a happy 4th of July!!!
Old Jul 4, 2019, 2:44 pm
RNE

In recent months, when I have attempted to combine points from TSMRSRNE's FU to my CSR it fails with the ineligible card error. I think that's because my CSR is closing on that date (the day after her FU does). I'll test that hypothesis this month.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:46 pm

chase transfer to household member

guys - chase has made it awfuly tough to transfer points. Gave me an error on the website and now online with the agent for 30 mins. She says i transferred points between my cards (business, resreve, saphire, etc) int he past which is causing issues but they were all transfers between my own cards. This is the first time i'm transferring to a household member

Any better way than staying on line with an agent this long

thx
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:11 pm
mia

Originally Posted by sam007
Any better way than staying on line with an agent this long
Move the points to one of your other cards, and try to combine from that card with your household member's card.
RNE likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 6:18 pm

I ran into the same problem last month and had to call in to transfer to household member who is also authorized user on my CSR card. Error online but argent was able to do the transfer to United less than 5 minutes for me instead. Points didn’t get transferred to United for the household instantly like mine though, had to wait a few days. That’s my experience.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:25 am
RNE

Originally Posted by mia
Move the points to one of your other cards, and try to combine from that card with your household member's card.
This solution has worked for me.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: Membership Rewards, Chase
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
I was told today by a Chase CSR that I can transfer points to my Sapphire Reserve card from only one other card per year. My attempt to transfer points from my spouse's Preferred card was denied because I had previously transferred from my Freedom card earlier this year.

I was not previously aware of this rule. I can't find this rule in Chase's FAQ's, and I haven't seen it mentioned in any of the blogs. Is this a new development?
That might be the reason why I am unable to transfer. I have a Chase Sapphire Reserve card, my husband has a Chase Sapphire Preferred where I am an authorized user. We regularly transfer from the Preferred to the Reserve card if we are purchasing directly from the UR website.

I have a Chase Ink Preferred card for my business and I am unable to transfer to my Sapphire Reserve, probably due to the 1 transfer/combining from another card per year. My mom also has a Sapphire Preferred and she lives with me so her billing address is in the same address. I was going to transfer her points to my Reserve to get a better value when booking through UR but could not do it.

In the past though, I have been able to transfer from my Ink Preferred and Sapphire Preferred to the Sapphire Reserve with no issues. This must have been implemented a year or two ago. Kinda stinks but what can we do?
Old Jul 23, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: Membership Rewards, Chase
Originally Posted by mia
1. Sapphire Preferred or INK Preferred?

2. Have points from the Preferred card previously been combined with any -other- card? You can only Combine with ONE other member of your household.
My husband has Sapphire Preferred and I am an authorized user. I have a Sapphire Reserve and an Ink Preferred for our business.

Another reply said that Chase now only allows one account to or combine points with per year. So If i transfer from our Sapphire Preferred to Sapphire Reserve, then I cannot transfer from the Ink to the Reserve until the following year, at least that's how I understood it.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by ynif209
...but what can we do?
Try different combinations. Combine points from your Ink Preferred to husband's Sapphire Preferred, then to his Reserve. If that works, then you can combine points from Mom's Sapphire Preferred to your Ink Preferred, then follow the same path.

I wrote a blog article that you may find helpful...

https://pointsyak.com/miles-and-poin...bining-points/

Last edited by pallhedge; Jul 24, 2019 at 10:06 am Reason: re-added external link with moderator approval
Old Aug 21, 2019, 2:52 pm

So pretty new to the whole Ultimate rewards system and don't want to end up doing something that is not allowed and risk being shut down.

Within our household we have

1. Chase Ink Business Preferred in my fathers name. It is a legit business with annual spend close to 100K. Currently have 195K UR points.
2. Chase Sapphire Preferred in my mothers name. 65K UR points in account.
3. Chase Sapphire Preferred in my name. 65K UR points in account.

We want to combine the UR points into the 3rd card (my card). I guess this is allowed as you can transfer points between business and personal cards as long as we all live in the same household. 2 questions though:

1. How is household determined? Do they go by address on file for the account? The two CSP cards are registered at the same residential address, but the business card has the business address. Will that cause any troubles?
2. Which is the best way to transfer the points?
- Card 1 to 2 to 3?
- Card 2 to 1 to 3? Are you allowed to transfer from personal to business account by transferring 2 to 1 to 3

Any benefit of choosing the one over the other? As I understand it there might be some problems to transfer the points directly from card 1 and card 2 to card 3. Seems one must pool the points before the final transfer.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by B747forever
We want to combine the UR points into the 3rd card (my card).
To stay strictly within the points combining rules, father should open a personal UR earning card. Then combine points like this: 1->father's new card->2->3

1->2->3 should be fine.

Last edited by pallhedge; Aug 22, 2019 at 8:54 am Reason: Correction
Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:38 am
mia

Originally Posted by pallhedge
To stay strictly within the points combining rules, father should open a personal UR earning card....
Why? Business cards are explicitly permitted to transfer to a household member:

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, or one member of your household or owner of the company, as applicable. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.