Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase allows points earned with different cards, or by members of the same household, or owners of the same business, to combine points in one Ultimate Rewards account.

These are the rules for personal cards:

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you or one member of your household.

Go to chase.com/ultimaterewards, call the number on the back of your card or visit a Chase branch to move your points.

You can't move points to another eligible card if either account is prohibited from earning or using points at the time you attempt to move the points.

These are the rules for business cards. (All INK cards are business cards.)

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, one member of your household, or your joint business owner, as applicable. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points.

Q: Ok, so I won't be violating any of the above rules. How do I combine or transfer my points?

A: Log in to your Chase Ultimate Rewards account. Click your point balance to reveal a drop down menu. Choose Combine points. You can then choose to move your points between your own credit card UR accounts, or "Add a Household Member" to transfer points to.

If you are experiencing technical problems combining points, please see Problems Combining UR points between accounts.

Combining is not the same as transferring. The rules for transferring to an airline or hotel program are subtly different. Those rules and procedures are discussed in another thread:

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts
Print Wikipost

Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2021, 9:01 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Please, indulge some rookie questions. I’ve had 8 Sapphire (Preferred or Reserve) accounts and 6 Ink (Cash or Plus or Bold) accounts with 1 open SP and 1 open Ink Cash. I understand that UR point balances for personal cards and business cards are separate and distinct but easily combined.

I’ve rarely had 2 open personal accounts (at the same time) or 2 open business accounts (at the same time) so I don’t recall if UR points are displayed separately or as 1 total balance (for multiple personal or multiple business accounts). When one has 2 (or more) open personal UR accounts does the UR balance(s) get displayed as one number or as 2 numbers? When one has 2 (or more) open business UR accounts does the UR balance(s) get displayed as one number or as 2 numbers?

Thank you.
Old May 26, 2021, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Dr Jabadski
Please, indulge some rookie questions. I’ve had 8 Sapphire (Preferred or Reserve) accounts and 6 Ink (Cash or Plus or Bold) accounts with 1 open SP and 1 open Ink Cash. I understand that UR point balances for personal cards and business cards are separate and distinct but easily combined.

I’ve rarely had 2 open personal accounts (at the same time) or 2 open business accounts (at the same time) so I don’t recall if UR points are displayed separately or as 1 total balance (for multiple personal or multiple business accounts). When one has 2 (or more) open personal UR accounts does the UR balance(s) get displayed as one number or as 2 numbers? When one has 2 (or more) open business UR accounts does the UR balance(s) get displayed as one number or as 2 numbers?

Thank you.
I am not sure what significance you attach to the word "display." If you have multiple cards, your total UR points are shown on your home page, but once you click on that total, a page opens that shows each card (and the UR points associated with that card), and you have to select the card you wish to access. You cannot access the total (unless all of your points are on one card). The "display" is for information purposes only.
Diplomatico likes this.
Old May 26, 2021, 9:36 am

Programs: UA LT Gold (BIS), AA LT Plat (CC SUBs & BD), Hilton Dia (CC), Hyatt Glob (BIB), et. al.
Thank you Steve in Olympia. You’re correct, by “display” I was referring to the number on the home page.

Re: “… cannot access the total (unless all of your points are on one card).”, are you implying that separate card (UR) balances can be combined and then access the total?

Thanks again.
Old May 26, 2021, 10:13 am
Community Director Emerita

Thank you Steve in Olympia. You’re correct, by “display” I was referring to the number on the home page.

Re: “… cannot access the total (unless all of your points are on one card).”, are you implying that separate card (UR) balances can be combined and then access the total?

Thanks again.
I have several Chase cards, both personal and business, on which I earn UR points. I can easily combine the points via the Chase website and have them moved to any card I choose. I generally do this once a month.
Old May 26, 2021, 4:44 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
....point balances for personal cards and business cards are separate and distinct but easily combined.
Every individual card has its own UR balance. How the aggregate balance is displayed depends on how many cards are linked to the same Username. If you had a separate Username for each card, there would be no aggregate display. If you had all the cards linked to one Username, your total balance would be displayed. You can move points between card, even if they are not linked to the same Username. Chase calls this process "Combine" -not- "Transfer". Combine is a self service menu option. If it doesn't work, you need this thread: Problems Combining UR points between accounts
Steve in Olympia likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 9:16 am

Thank you SanDiego1K and mia. I should know all that, sorry for the naïve questions, brain flatulence. Considering a Freedom Unlimited for the first time.

(TMI rationale: Based on now having lower withholding and choosing to pay taxes with CC my CC spend has increased dramatically and due to anti-churning policies I now have significant CC spend beyond SUBs. So I’m looking for a CC that earns more than 1% in points or miles other than Delta/Hilton/IHG/Marriott. I don’t desire cash-back, I’m a complete points and miles monger. I usually max out AmEx BBP, AmEx Plat 1.5% is expensive and only for individual charges over $5,000, so I’m thinking about a Freedom Unlimited for the first time in over 30 years of churning including 10 years of reading FT and thus much more active churning.)

Thanks again SanDiego1K and mia and FlyerTalk.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old May 27, 2021, 11:46 am
mia

.... looking for a CC that earns more than 1% in points or miles .... I don’t desire cash-back,...
Citi Double Cash. The 2% cash rewards can be converted to ThankYou points. If you want to transfer those points to an airline partner you would also need a Premier or Prestige card.
Old May 27, 2021, 12:50 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Citi Double Cash. ...
Thank you mia, excellent idea and I’d be eligible for additional SUBs. I do not have an account with any current Citi TY partner programs and loathe opening another (new for me) loyalty program account. If I did (have a partner program account), I certainly would (apply for Citi TY cards).

I still have a note to myself from 5-6 years ago when I applied for 3 Citi TY cards within one year (transferred points at 1:2 to Hilton). Not sure if it’s still true but “Citi Prestige annual fee refund prorated at account close, apply end of year, 2 years airline credit, xfer points, cancel”.

(TMI again: I’m still kicking myself a little for opening Alaska (14 applications and 12 SUBs in the past 6 years) and Hawaiian (9 applications and 7 SUBs in the past 5 years) accounts a few years ago only because they had some of the few remaining credit cards that could still be churned with any decent frequency. With large balances and status in AA, UA and DL, I didn’t anticipate ever actually using Alaska or Hawaiian miles to book flights with Alaska or Hawaiian, they’re almost orphan miles for me which I hate because they make me feel like I’m leaving something on the table. My rationale was that I might use Alaska miles for Emirates flights and would use Hawaiian miles to add to my Hilton balance. With balances in those 2 programs I think that I must maximize their potentials and have submitted multiple CC applications which lead to irritating recon phone calls when I’m at a stage of life that I don’t enjoy or appreciate the whole CC application-recon phone call game as much as I used to. As I’ve written in the past, if there was an Antabuse for “CC SUB Addiction” I’d be the first to sign-up for it !)

Thanks again.
Old Jul 2, 2021, 6:33 pm

Hmm, I'm having an issue with trying to transfer points from my account to my wife's. From what I have read, when I go to the "Combine Points" option on my dashboard, there should be an option under the card I want to transfer to to "Add a household member". But I have no such option anywhere on the page. The only options I have are to transfer from my CSP, CFU, and CF to either my CSP, CFU, or CF.
How do I transfer points to my wife?
Old Jul 2, 2021, 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by AJDem
Hmm, I'm having an issue with trying to transfer points from my account to my wife's. From what I have read, when I go to the "Combine Points" option on my dashboard, there should be an option under the card I want to transfer to to "Add a household member". But I have no such option anywhere on the page. The only options I have are to transfer from my CSP, CFU, and CF to either my CSP, CFU, or CF.
How do I transfer points to my wife?
Chase recently removed the self-service option for adding a send-to account. As discussed in the latest posts at Problems Combining UR points between accounts, you now have to call Chase to set this up.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 11:26 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Is there a limit to how many people we can claim live in one household (i.e. 4)? The billing addresses are all to the same house.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
My father (different address/state) has a 3 year old CSR and plans to cancel before AF due in Sept bc of increased fee. Has 300k UR. I’m looking for the best strategy for transferring these points to myself. If he adds me as an AU, can he transfer to me? Does this count as a new account for me against 5/24? Somewhere along the way, my son had an AU on this account. If he still does, could the points be transferred to son and then son transfer to me at same address/household?
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:28 pm
mia

The rules for Combining from a personal card stipulate that the recipient must reside in the same household. There is no mention of Authorized Users:

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate RewardsYou can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, or one member of your household. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards or manufacturing spend, repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by mia
The rules for Combining from a personal card stipulate that the recipient must reside in the same household. There is no mention of Authorized Users:
Thank you. Not sure why I thought an AU was an eligible transferee.

I’m thinking he should just downgrade then get a CSP later.
Old Jul 5, 2021, 2:06 pm
mia

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Thank you. Not sure why I thought an AU was an eligible transferee.
The rules for Combining from business cards are different.
Stgermainparis likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.