Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase allows points earned with different cards, or by members of the same household, or owners of the same business, to combine points in one Ultimate Rewards account.

These are the rules for personal cards:

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you or one member of your household.

Go to chase.com/ultimaterewards, call the number on the back of your card or visit a Chase branch to move your points.

You can't move points to another eligible card if either account is prohibited from earning or using points at the time you attempt to move the points.

These are the rules for business cards. (All INK cards are business cards.)

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, one member of your household, or your joint business owner, as applicable. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points.

Q: Ok, so I won't be violating any of the above rules. How do I combine or transfer my points?

A: Log in to your Chase Ultimate Rewards account. Click your point balance to reveal a drop down menu. Choose Combine points. You can then choose to move your points between your own credit card UR accounts, or "Add a Household Member" to transfer points to.

If you are experiencing technical problems combining points, please see Problems Combining UR points between accounts.

Combining is not the same as transferring. The rules for transferring to an airline or hotel program are subtly different. Those rules and procedures are discussed in another thread:

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts
Print Wikipost

Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by mia
Why? Business cards are explicitly permitted to transfer to a household member:
Hmm, my recollection was that the "member of household" provision wasn't included on business cards, yet there it is. Clearly I was wrong. Thanks.
Old Aug 23, 2019, 11:51 am

Thanks for the replies.

Having read some posts in this thread it seems that transferring 1->2->3 is the way to go and not 1->3 and 2->3 as that seems to error out on Chase end.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 5:39 am

Read the Wiki but am still confused.

P1 and P2 are married, and P3 is parent of P1. All three live in the same household, same address. P1 and P2 file joint 1040 and P3 files individual 1040.

Current cards:

P1 - CIC
P2 - CIP
P3 - CF

No card has an AU currently.

So my question is: is there any way to combine points from all 3 accounts? Or only P1 and P2 can combine points?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 8:18 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Moderator action

Originally Posted by Dream of Flying
Read the Wiki but am still confused.
The thread in which you originally posted this question discusses transferring points out of UR to airline or hotel accounts. I have moved it into the thread which discusses moving points between UR accounts. Try reading this Wiki.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Mr. Fink has a CSP with me as an AU. I have a Freedom. I have always combined my points to his, obviously. I plan to cancel my Freedom and get my own CSP with him as an AU. He will then cancel his CSP but we want to combine all of the points back to me first. I just sent over my last few points and I got the warning that the transfer was final and the points cannot be moved back.

That got me thinking. Does that just mean that this particular transfer is final? Or is there some rule that the same points that were moved from my account to his account over the years cannot be moved back again? I don’t want to do this if all of the points in his account can’t be combined back to my CSP when I get it. Neither of us has ever combined with anyone else.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:23 am
mia

Originally Posted by Finkface
.... Does that just mean that this particular transfer is final?....
Yes. The points can be transferred again.

Separately, I do not understand why you would close your Freedom card to apply for Sapphire Preferred. There is no obstacle to holding both.
vanillabean likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by mia
Yes. The points can be transferred again.

Separately, I do not understand why you would close your Freedom card to apply for Sapphire Preferred. There is no obstacle to holding both.
True. I just wanted to reduce the number of cards I have. I have another Chase card (Marriott) as well. I could just reduce the CL I suppose but figured I might as well close it. It came from a product change from the old Fairmont card. The CSP will be a keeper for me as I rent a lot of cars so I figured why keep both?
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:39 am
mia

.... why keep both?
Freedom offers rotating quarterly bonuses. If you do not use those, there is probably no important reason to keep the card.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:52 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
True. I just wanted to reduce the number of cards I have. I have another Chase card (Marriott) as well. I could just reduce the CL I suppose but figured I might as well close it. It came from a product change from the old Fairmont card. The CSP will be a keeper for me as I rent a lot of cars so I figured why keep both?
The reason to keep the Freedom is to strengthen your credit history. Being a fee free card means it doesn’t cost you anything to maintain the credit history.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by mia
Freedom offers rotating quarterly bonuses. If you do not use those, there is probably no important reason to keep the card.
I rarely used the Freedom. I am usually either working on the spend on a new card or using the CSP for travel. I don’t live in the US (although I have a SSN and an address there).

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
The reason to keep the Freedom is to strengthen your credit history. Being a fee free card means it doesn’t cost you anything to maintain the credit history.
I thought of that but I have an 800 Fico so I just wanted to simplify a bit by reducing my cards. I may downgrade the CSP to a FU at some point in the future as well if Mr. Fink goes for another CSP in a couple of years.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 11:54 am

Originally Posted by mia
That seems highly dependent on one’s approach to holding/churning premium Chase UR cards. Someone who has periods with no premium cards would find the Freedom card a handy place to warehouse UR.
Happy likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
I am one of those. I have EVs so I don't get gasoline. I shop at Costco and spent little on grocery stores. I can use the dining x5 but it is just 1 quarter and I have CSR so it is already x3. If I buy gift cards at gas stations or grocery stores, I would buying Amazon gift card, but I already get 5% back on Amazon with my Amazon credit card. I am just keeping the Freedom card because it is free. Oh and there is one more use for it... I use it online or at a store that seems somewhat "dodgy". If I get a fraudulent charge, they could just change my number and send me a new card. If I get fraudulent charge on my other cards with autopay, I have to redo all the autopay and that's is so time consuming.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:08 am
RNE

I Got a Warning when Combining Points Between People

This morning, I combined points from my wife's CFU into my CF. At confirmation, I got a warning that the combining was permanent and irreversible. (I didn't copy the exact wording. Sorry.) Is that something new?
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:15 am
mia

Originally Posted by RNE
...new?
No. Been displayed as long as I can remember.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 11:01 am
RNE

Originally Posted by mia
No. Been displayed as long as I can remember.
Not so blithe, please. The warning's "display" is not the issue, it's meaning is. To wit, can points combined from my wife's card into mine be subsequently combined from my card into hers? Yes or no?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.