Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
Chase allows points earned with different cards, or by members of the same household, or owners of the same business, to combine points in one Ultimate Rewards account.

These are the rules for personal cards:

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you or one member of your household.

Go to chase.com/ultimaterewards, call the number on the back of your card or visit a Chase branch to move your points.

You can't move points to another eligible card if either account is prohibited from earning or using points at the time you attempt to move the points.

These are the rules for business cards. (All INK cards are business cards.)

Combine points with other Chase cards with Ultimate Rewards

You can move your points, but only to another Chase card with Ultimate Rewards belonging to you, one member of your household, or your joint business owner, as applicable. If we suspect that you've engaged in fraudulent activity related to your credit card account or Ultimate Rewards, or that you've misused Ultimate Rewards in any way (for example by buying or selling points, moving or transferring points with or to an ineligible third party or account, or repeatedly opening or otherwise maintaining credit card accounts for the sole purpose of generating rewards) we may temporarily prohibit you from earning points or using points you've already earned. If we believe you've engaged in any of these acts, we'll close your credit card account and you'll lose all your points.

Q: Ok, so I won't be violating any of the above rules. How do I combine or transfer my points?

A: Log in to your Chase Ultimate Rewards account. Click your point balance to reveal a drop down menu. Choose Combine points. You can then choose to move your points between your own credit card UR accounts, or "Add a Household Member" to transfer points to.

If you are experiencing technical problems combining points, please see Problems Combining UR points between accounts.

Combining is not the same as transferring. The rules for transferring to an airline or hotel program are subtly different. Those rules and procedures are discussed in another thread:

11.15.2015 Ultimate Rewards transfer ONLY to own & AU's airline/hotel accounts
Print Wikipost

Combining UR points from multiple card accounts [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:46 am

Originally Posted by yrs
How do I "connect" my new CFU personal card to my Chase Ink plus business card so that I may transfer UR points?
Chase calls what your are describing "combining" points. Log on to your personal account and go to the Ultimate Rewards portal. On the top menu, click "Combine Points" and follow the "add card" instructions to combine all your CFU points onto your CIP card.
jjmiller69 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:34 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
Originally Posted by pallhedge
Chase calls what your are describing "combining" points. Log on to your personal account and go to the Ultimate Rewards portal. On the top menu, click "Combine Points" and follow the "add card" instructions to combine all your CFU points onto your CIP card.
Thank you pallhedge. I just tried that, but got an error message stating "You don't have any points to combine".
Since the account has just been created, I will give it another try after I accumulate some points. Thanks again.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Rumor re-surfacing that Chase is considering ending the ability to combine points between cards and within households:

"Frequent Miler is reporting that they have received a report from a trusted source indicating that Chase is actively looking at eliminating the ability to pool Chase Ultimate Rewards accounts between cards and households......"

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor...oints-pooling/
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:54 pm

If this rumor is true, I'm consolidating my credit line and closing my Freedom acct.
roundtree likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by OliverB
If this rumor is true, I'm consolidating my credit line and closing my Freedom acct.
+1.

I wonder if there is any harm in transferring points earned on the Freedom Unlimited over to the CSR UR account I have just to be safe. I have about half of my balance of points under the Freedom account.

Can anyone think of a reason NOT to be proactive and move points?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:37 am

Programs: WN A-List Pref, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by christianj
+1.

I wonder if there is any harm in transferring points earned on the Freedom Unlimited over to the CSR UR account I have just to be safe. I have about half of my balance of points under the Freedom account.

Absolutely not. I do it the moment the points post.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 5:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by christianj
+1.

Originally Posted by roundtree
Absolutely not. I do it the moment the points post.
I do the same. As soon as the URs post on the CF and CFU, I consolidate them into my CIP pool.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:28 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Rumor re-surfacing that Chase is considering ending the ability to combine points between cards and within households:

"Frequent Miler is reporting that they have received a report from a trusted source indicating that Chase is actively looking at eliminating the ability to pool Chase Ultimate Rewards accounts between cards and households......"

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor...oints-pooling/
Yes it is just a rumor.
That said I've been moving my points every month to my CSR for over a year. I just consider it a good habit and want the points where I'm going to use them.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:49 am

Just moved all my points from the Freedom Unlimited to the CSR to be safe. Sadly "rumors" have turned out to be the reality way too often in recent memory when it comes to airline, hotel and credit card "enhancements" which we all know is marketing speak for a devaluation for us consumers. I would hate for the "rumor" to be true and then they don't give a long enough advanced warning or they limit the number of points we can move. The fact that they are doing the 3 points per $1 for a year on the FU card for new accounts seems a bit too rich to not help add some concern to the "rumor" mill IMHO.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:18 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

For me, I believe there would be a domino effect. First, I would close the Freedom Unlimited account, because 1.5% cash back is not enough for me to keep it open. (Not that 1.5% isn't reasonable, but there are other alternatives.) Then, the 3 points per dollar on CSR for travel and dining would not be enough for me to keep it open by itself, since I don't travel enough and only eat out when I travel. It is only the pairing that makes it worthwhile. (And it doesn't encourage me to keep the card when I eat in the dining room of a national park lodge and the charge codes as a gift shop at 1 point per dollar.) With Freedom Unlimited and CSR gone, I would probably close Freedom. Even though the 5% is a good deal, it is too limited. (And again, it's playing roulette: I forget how the gas station coded, but it wasn't as a gas station (nor as a convenience store).)
Critterlynn likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
I doubt chase would lose any sleep. In fact, this is probably the reaction they are wanting. This would mean all non-bonus spend would only earn 1pt/$.

My reaction would be quite different. First I'd immediately sock drawer my FU card. After that I'd only use my Freedom and CSR for bonus categories only. I'd continue to take advantage of priority pass until the annual fee hits. Then I'd close my card. I'd probably put the majority of my spend on a 2% cash back card. Not quite sure about that yet.

In the future I would be willing to sign up for it again just to get another sign-ups bonus, renew my TSA pre-check and enjoy Priority Pass again. But make no mistake about it, there will be no loyalty. It will be a one year commitment only.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:39 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
What would be the point of closing free cards such as Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, or INK Cash? If Chase modifies the rules for combining points do you think they will do nothing else over the next year or two that might make you wish to have one of those cards? Why put yourself in the position of needing to re-apply for a product that costs nothing to keep?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 9:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by mia
What would be the point of closing free cards such as Freedom, Freedom Unlimited, or INK Cash? If Chase modifies the rules for combining points do you think they will do nothing else over the next year or two that might make you wish to have one of those cards? Why put yourself in the position of needing to re-apply for a product that costs nothing to keep?
Thank you for being the voice of reason, mia! Clearly I had not thought it through. Consider what I said before to have "close" changed to "stop using" for the free cards. And thanks again for saving me from myself.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 11:21 am

In the last year and a half, I've been on a mission to clear out all the cards I had in my sock drawer. So far I've gotten rid of the Chase Hyatt Card as well as the UA Explorer card. (Hyatt because I wasn't ever able to find a redemption that I wanted due to the category restriction on the free night and UA because I could earn more UR points with the CSR.) I am still holding on to the IHG card which will likely go when the annual fee is due because of the change in the free night. I hope the thread topic is indeed a rumor or the FU will likely join the ML+ and the original HH no annual fee card which I keep holding on to since they have no fee. I agree with mia that if there is no annual fee there is no real reason to get rid of a card unless you need the credit limit assigned to another card (which I don't).
Old Apr 26, 2018, 3:03 pm

If they do this I would sock drawer the CF . Not close it since there's no AF and I've had it for over ten years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.