Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 12:26 pm

email address for Chase fraud

Does anyone have an email address for Chase's fraud division (Sapphire Reserve if it makes a difference)? I can't take trying to get through on the phone anymore. I've been hung up on twice after long waits, and two promises to transfer me to supervisors have also ended up in disconnects.

All for what should be a very simple problem. Somebody made fraudulent charges online that Chase originally refunded. Now, 4 months later, these charges have been added back to my account. The letter I received stated that I "received benefit from the transaction." When I called in to ask for an explanation, I was told that Chase doesn't know that I didn't make the charges since I was always in possession of my card. As if one can only hack a physical card?

I have to say, this entire process has really opened my eyes to the difference in customer service between Chase and Amex.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by enoscabell
Does anyone have an email address for Chase's fraud division...
I would send a Secure Message using your Chase account.
RNE likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, UA Platinum, others
Weak customer service on CSR

I've had the CSR card since they kicked it off, moving from the CSP before it. I appreciated they had good, no fuss customer service when I needed it which was rare. But no more.

I called in the other day to report an unidentified charge (foreign mail order with my card, yikes) and they did what I expected which was to refund the charge and close the account. But here's where they used to be a lot better:

1) it took a long time (at least 4 or 5 menus) of wandering through phone trees and entering numbers to get to a human being, and the first human had to xfer me to a second human

2) they closed the problem account and said I'd get a new one, but couldn't give me the account number so I can start to change all my reoccurring charges yet

3) 5-7 business days to get a replacement card -- didn't they used to overnight them? CS said they never did that.

4) no way to get any info on my existing occurring charges so I can change them -- they suggested I download my statements if I wanted that.

So, I'm sitting here going through 12 months of statements to update the ones that'll certainly hit before the new card gets issued and I decided since I have to make them some other card, I might as well just leave them on some other card and just use the CSR for travel and dining at this point.

But wait, in the main today I got the letter telling me they're cranking up the annual fee with no new benefits.

Really, Chase? Really?

Okay, rant over. But did I misremember them having good customer service in the past? Or was that Amex?
Old Jul 10, 2021, 3:30 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jmr50
...couldn't give me the account number so I can start to change all my reoccurring charges yet
You probably do not need to do this. Chase cancelled your card, and will issue a card with a new number, but it is the same account. Transactions that VISA identifies as recurring should be automatically routed to the new number.
SPN Lifer and Dr_wanderlust like this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...

4) no way to get any info on my existing occurring charges so I can change them -- they suggested I download my statements if I wanted that.

So, I'm sitting here going through 12 months of statements to update the ones that'll certainly hit before the new card gets issued
Not sure if any other issuer would give you a list of recurring charges. Never asked.

But I am maintaining a spreadsheet for that purpose. Especially in the last year I have shifted recurring charges (phone, streaming, others) around quite a bit due to changing promos (mostly Amex, incl. PayPal). Also helps to occasionally review the list to see if there is something to cancel before renewal. With more and more subscription online services it’s definitely saved me a bit of $$ here and there.

I generally have no subscriptions on my CSR since they would pretty much all only earn 1X. CFU is the default card.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 5:05 pm

2) they closed the problem account and said I'd get a new one, but couldn't give me the account number so I can start to change all my reoccurring charges yet
No bank will will ever give out a card number on the phone. And that is a good thing.
RNE, Dr_wanderlust and EdofFX like this.
Old Jul 10, 2021, 6:10 pm

Recurring charges will transfer over automatically. Or if they aren't coded properly as recurring, you'll just get a notice from the service saying your card was declined and can you please update it.

More annoying to me is all the online stores, phone apps, etc. where I've stored the old card #.

3) 5-7 business days to get a replacement card -- didn't they used to overnight them? CS said they never did that.
I've definitely had it overnighted just by asking. So if true this is a policy change. More likely just an incorrect agent.

As mentioned, your account remains open just with a new number. You'll have access to all of your old transactions and statements on the website.

The lots of menus thing is annoying. If I wanted my balance and payment information I'd go to the website. I'm calling because I can't do what I want to do on the website and need to speak to a human.
Old Jul 11, 2021, 4:28 pm

Regarding the phone tree vs prior direct connection. I remember seeing a statement in which Chase said that they added the phone trees because of the decreased staffing and issues with hiring. They put out a statement that they are trying to bring it back to how it was once they hire more people.

Hope that's really the case. I remember when they used to advertise no phone tree.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 5:59 am

Any Way of Getting Security Hold Lifted Without Spending God Know How Long on Hold?

I have a Sapphire Reserve. After a few charges in Europe where I'm travelling, Chase blocked the card. They apparently called at the time they imposed the block, and left a message.

When I call that number back that was left in the message, I either get a message telling me that the office is closed (without saying when the office will open again), or I get an outgoing message telling me the wait will be at least fifty minutes to speak to a rep. I'm not going to wait at least 50 minutes to speak with someone, I don't need the card that badly.

Any work arounds? Or is the card dead until I wait an hour or so to speak with a rep?
Old Jul 12, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
I have a Sapphire Reserve. After a few charges in Europe where I'm travelling, Chase blocked the card. They apparently called at the time they imposed the block, and left a message.

When I call that number back that was left in the message, I either get a message telling me that the office is closed (without saying when the office will open again), or I get an outgoing message telling me the wait will be at least fifty minutes to speak to a rep. I'm not going to wait at least 50 minutes to speak with someone, I don't need the card that badly.

Any work arounds? Or is the card dead until I wait an hour or so to speak with a rep?
It may be too late for your current situation, but you could have sent Chase a travel notice before your travel to Europe (assuming you don't live there)

https://upgradedpoints.com/credit-ca...travel-notice/
Old Jul 12, 2021, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by EdofFX
It may be too late for your current situation, but you could have sent Chase a travel notice before your travel to Europe (assuming you don't live there)

https://upgradedpoints.com/credit-ca...travel-notice/
Interestingly, if you try to send Chase a travel notice using secure messaging, it tells you it is not necessary and refuses to send the notice.
RNE likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2021, 7:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by BigFlyer
Interestingly, if you try to send Chase a travel notice using secure messaging, it tells you it is not necessary and refuses to send the notice.
I think you are right. Even though that blog was supposed to have been updated today, I cannot find the "travel" section in my Chase app as shown in the step by step guide, as if Chase changed the menu to remove that option.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by EdofFX
I think you are right. Even though that blog was supposed to have been updated today, I cannot find the "travel" section in my Chase app as shown in the step by step guide, as if Chase changed the menu to remove that option.
After you log in, pull down the profile & settings menu by clicking on the person icon in upper right corner. Then under Account Settings, click Travel to get:

Travel notifications
We've got you covered! With our enhanced security measures:
You don't need to set up travel notifications anymore.
  • We'll send you fraud alerts if we see any possible identity theft.
  • We'll alert you if we notice any suspicious behavior on your account.
I assume that means you'll need to have already set up the alert notifications that work best for your situation. I use text instead of email.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 7:52 am
RNE

Originally Posted by othermike27
  • We'll alert you if we notice any suspicious behavior on your account.
This should be read:
  • We will deny your genuine charges if we think they're not.
othermike27 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2021, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Not very impressed with Chase chargeback procedure at all! I called to explain the situation to the phone rep who seemed to understand, but was powerless to do anything but start a case referral for me. This resulted in a secure message requesting that I return their case form within two weeks. I did so by a fax from my local Chase branch. However, when I later called to confirm receipt of the form I was told "Yes, it's in 'active investigation' (or something similar) status." Not long after that call, I got a second request to send the same form with a cutoff date two weeks later than the original? I'm assuming that's their way of keeping it from being closed out?

Background is that it's a Kafka-esque deal with Marriott saying "We can't justify the charge to you (give any explanation though the charge was billed by us), your recourse is to dispute it (chargeback)."

The few I've done with any card on the past involved a rep taking notes, with the charge promptly disappearing forever; burden of proof on the merchant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.