Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2018, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Weird, I wonder why so many people reported that number being a phishing scam. Glad you got it straightened out.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Weird, I wonder why so many people reported that number being a phishing scam.
Because those [redacted: many, many, many swear words. some you've never heard and would embarrass a sailor] scammers like to fake their caller ID to trick people into answering their phone.

Pray I never actually meet one face to face. I'll need mucho bail money.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 8:38 am

Card Fraud- Chase reporting to credit agency

Credit fraud with my credit card. My Chase Sapphire Preferred account will be closed by Chase. I received an email that a new card will be sent to me. Chase also mentioned that they will report to Transunion, Experian, and Equifax about closing my account. Wouldn't this have a negative affect on my credit in both credit score and other banks seeing it as negative (closed by lender)?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by metoo
Wouldn't this have a negative affect on my credit in both credit score and other banks seeing it as negative (closed by lender)?
No. Because the new account will inherit the history of the closed account.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 12:43 pm

On Friday, I received a text message from Chase if I authorized a $1 Amazon web service charge on my CSR acct. To text no or yes. So I text NO. I had to call the fraud Dept. They told me they also blocked two other pending charges. They cancelled my card and going to send me a new card number. I'm just curious how they catch these charges since I always have pending dollar charges. I asked her how come I didn't get a text of pending charge since I'm setup to receive text messages for a $1 authorized charges. Oh well. I'm just grateful they caught it.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:03 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by trikotret
.... curious how they catch these charges since I always have pending dollar charges.....
It was not the transaction amount that triggered the fraud algorithm. The $1.00 (or similar) pending charges that we see on our accounts are generated by merchants to verify that the card number is valid. It does not mean that someone attempted make a $1.00 purchase.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On Friday, I received a text message from Chase if I authorized a $1 Amazon web service charge on my CSR acct. To text no or yes. So I text NO. I had to call the fraud Dept. They told me they also blocked two other pending charges. They cancelled my card and going to send me a new card number. I'm just curious how they catch these charges since I always have pending dollar charges. I asked her how come I didn't get a text of pending charge since I'm setup to receive text messages for a $1 authorized charges. Oh well. I'm just grateful they caught it.
You will see $1 charge from Amazon whenever you place an order on Amazon pay with a CC. It is test to make sure the card is a VALID card and not some bogus card number put in.
Ditto for rental car companies when you first set up your loyalty accounts such as Avis Preferred or National Emerald. Same purpose to verify the cards on file are good cards.
Occasionally will see similar test charges from hotels.

As long as you DO have related activities those $1 test charges are 100% legit and would fall off after the usual 7 days.

Unless you really never have the card attached to your Amazon account, else you just create additional trouble to get a new replacement card.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by garykung
No. Because the new account will inherit the history of the closed account.
Not only that, closed account would still stay on one's credit report for the next 10 years and would still be factored in the FICO calculation.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
You will see $1 charge from Amazon whenever you place an order on Amazon pay with a CC. It is test to make sure the card is a VALID card and not some bogus card number put in.
Ditto for rental car companies when you first set up your loyalty accounts such as Avis Preferred or National Emerald. Same purpose to verify the cards on file are good cards.
Occasionally will see similar test charges from hotels.

As long as you DO have related activities those $1 test charges are 100% legit and would fall off after the usual 7 days.

Unless you really never have the card attached to your Amazon account, else you just create additional trouble to get a new replacement card.
When I got the text, I froze. I went to my Amazon acct to see what cards I have on file and CSR wasn't one of them. That's when I pressed No and said it was an unauthorized charge. This is the second time happens to me in 3 month period. The other time I had on my Amex card when UPS authorized two $1 charges on the same day. Amex didn't even bother text me if i was legit or not. I had to call in and tell them I never used my Amex card with UPS before. They tried to convince me it's a normal authorization charge until I told them I didn't do it. Lol. Big difference between Chase and Amex fraud Depts. Lol
Old Sep 9, 2018, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When I got the text, I froze. I went to my Amazon acct to see what cards I have on file and CSR wasn't one of them. That's when I pressed No and said it was an unauthorized charge. This is the second time happens to me in 3 month period. The other time I had on my Amex card when UPS authorized two $1 charges on the same day. Amex didn't even bother text me if i was legit or not. I had to call in and tell them I never used my Amex card with UPS before. They tried to convince me it's a normal authorization charge until I told them I didn't do it. Lol. Big difference between Chase and Amex fraud Depts. Lol
Do not bother me.

Credit card fraudulent charges do not harm anything as US consumer card protection is very strong, backed by laws. People tend to freak out and confuse the credit card fraudulent charges with ID theft because the Media inevitably hype up such fear. They are not the same things.
Since you are so impressed by Chase, let me tell you my story on how Chase handled a REAL wrong charge (not by intention we concluded). A gymnastics school in California charged my Freedom card for some $200 class fee. Of course we never had any contact with said gym. I only found out who the merchant was by googling it. When I called Chase, guess what the rep said? He said it probably was a phone in charge and the merchant being "low risk" merchant, did not require CVC verification. Either the customer or the employee at the gymnastics had one or two digits off and it happened to match YOUR Freedom card so the charge went thru. Not to worry. we would take care of it and you DONT need to change card.
Since I have located the merchant (the owner of the gymnastics school, I sent her a message about the wrong charge. She replied she would look it up but she was driving at the time.
The charge was reversed and Chase sent me a letter about "because the merchant has reversed the charge, we consider this is not fraudulent charge." along that line.

I would tell you the other story that involved a real fraudulent charge on a brand new IHG card that was only used once, at a restaurant. The card was cloned and charges were billed as Recurring charges at 24/7 LA fitness center in California. Chase NEVER catch it. I did. When I called Chase, Chase said it could NOT stop the charges from coming because it was set up as Recurring Charges. Chase told me to contact the merchant MYSELF to get it stopped!
Took me several calls after initial failures with their US CS dept but eventually was able to track down 24/7 billing dept which was located at Panama City at the time. I explained to the employee that the card in their system was a cloned card despite he could see it was Card Present transaction, meaning card was swiped. The clerk there took my words for it and suspended the card info in 24/7 system.
Meantime, there were already a second charge to the Replacement Card Chase issued after the first report.
When I called Chase, I was told, "just add the additional fraudulent charges to the Affidavit when you mail it back."

So there you have it. Chase is no better than AMEX, and in many cases far worse. AMEX immediately reversed the 2 Avis charges from South Africa rental 2 months after car returned. Same thing happened again on a subsequent trip the following year. AMEX took care of it right away. NEVER replace card number. Never have any other issues.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
I've actually never had issues with any other issuer except for AmEx. AmEx ultimately did resolve the fraud but it took HUCA to do so. That kind of left a sour taste in my mouth for a while.

Anyway, this was a while ago so I hope their training had gotten better since then.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:16 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Happy
So there you have it. Chase is no better than AMEX, and in many cases far worse.
Never, ever have I had problems with Chase getting bogus charges removed when the vendor was the one issuing bogus charges. Chase also called me once when someone apparently cloned a card and used in at the Mall of America at the same time I was happily in Hawaii.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thought I would share a friend's experience on the fraudulent charges happened to his CIP when the card was left at home while they traveled in Europe for 3 weeks in April.

He returned home and found out there were just under $2500 total fraudulent charges on his CIP. Of course he has not received any fraud alert from Chase.on any of those charges.

Friend said the card was locked up in his drawer so he did not think any of his 2 sons would have access to it. Besides he said the charge patterns did not match his sons' usage. In other words he does not believe it is an "inside job."

When he called the Chase rep was very annoyed, insisted that was not possile because the CIP was a chip card and the transactions were card present type transactions. Well, the rep obviously need better training because the chip card can still be cloned, not to mention that most US merchants POS would suggest swipe after 3 failed attempts on Card Malfunction (unable to read chip).

It took him 4 or 5 calls and spanned 2 billing cycles for Chase finally issued permanent credit. He said each call made a little progress but it was super annoying that he had to call so many times to repeat the details each time.

Needless to say, he is not impressed and most likely would not keep the CIP at renewal once he realizes the business card does not enjoy the same protection as the consumer car and the process of getting rid of fraudulent charges is not the same as on the consumer card.

Personally I am indifferent to any issuer regarding fraud alerts. However I do understand how one's experiences would shape one's perception. To that regard, I am rather impressed by Citicard. We got a call one day and the Citi rep asked, "Is your husband in Mexico now?" It turned out his AU card on my TYP Premier was used 5 times at Mexico, all for grocery stores / dining, at relatively small amounts as the total was just about $350. Nope. He is at home and the card is also at home. The ONLY usage he had of the whole time he being my AU, was to pay a co-pay at an eye doctor's office. I asked him was the swipe done on the front counter that he could see it or not. He said, no, the receptionist took it and turned back to process it at the back counter and he could not see anything as the view was blocked by the receptionist's back. Very obvious the card was cloned at that time.
Not unlike the IHG was cloned at the restaurant by the waiter.

On both occasions I made a point to contact the restaurant manager / the eye doctor office to inform them they may have dishonest employees who committed criminal act. The restaurant manager was very thorough, asked the date we were there, time, and where we sat. When we returned in subsequent visits, we no longer saw the waiter we suspected had cloned the card.
The eye doctor's office employee who took the call just brushed me off. Could be the same person who cloned the cards to begin with.
Both times the fraudulent charges happened about one month after the initial visits.

I firmly believe that with consumer cards, we are well protected. With business cards, it would take a lot more work from us to get things sorted out.

Last edited by Happy; Sep 9, 2018 at 2:51 pm
Old Sep 9, 2018, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tmiw
I've actually never had issues with any other issuer except for AmEx. AmEx ultimately did resolve the fraud but it took HUCA to do so. That kind of left a sour taste in my mouth for a while.

Anyway, this was a while ago so I hope their training had gotten better since then.
Our experiences with AMEX are much better. On both times (both from Avis South Africa), we filed the disputes online. The credits were issued the next day, and it seemed end of the story. Granted, they were of small amounts, like $25 to $50 each one. AMEX probably just ate the charges and be done with it.

Had a duplicate $6 charge at MIA parking. Called Chase and the supervisor saw the duplicate charge, permanent credit issued right over the phone. Same thing happened with an Exxon station on extra charge not refunded (prepaid at counter and the clerk insisted it was just preauthorization and the card would be charged by actual fill up. Not true. card was charged the preauthorization amount which was $15+ more.) Chase supervisor took care of the refund over the phone.
Those were not fraudulent charges per se though.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:31 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Fraud (false) Alert on Lyft

Wondering why my JPMR fraud alert got activated each time I used Lyft on a recent domestic trip? This was the first time I've used Lyft, but I have a charge history with Uber, and Chase approved other charges on this trip. Each time I had a Lyft charge, I got a text alert to which I needed to respond.

Is there some problem with Lyft?

Many thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.