Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2018, 4:05 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Starwood Platinum, AA, SW, Delta
Does chase only text for fraud alert? they no longer call? I remember in the old days they would call to verify
Old Nov 30, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by happyvoid
Does chase only text for fraud alert? they no longer call? I remember in the old days they would call to verify
A call would have been nice. Only one response from me instead of having to respond to four text messages, plus having to call in and speak to a rep because I neglected to respond to one of the texts in a timely fashion so they suspended my account. A horribly functioning system to inconvenience a good customer because of a $3.00 charge.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:25 am

I got a call while overseas for a purchase I made that they suspected was fraud. So they still do call.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 10:38 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC
.... inconvenience a good customer because of a $3.00 charge.
The $3.00 transaction is not the risk. It's common for stolen card numbers to be tested by making small transactions.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 1:00 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by mia
The $3.00 transaction is not the risk. It's common for stolen card numbers to be tested by making small transactions.
In fact, it probably is one of the key inputs in the fraud algorithm that they use. My Amex plat card had been cloned (who knows how) and the perp did a $1 test run on it. That appeared to alert the fraud detection unit because when the perp then tried to charge a $300 item on-line, it was immediately denied with an alert sent to me asking if I had made the charge.

So I suspect that small charges are as least as interesting (if not more so) as large ones to the CC companies.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
New one -- at least for me. I had someone phone in and redeem something like 300,000 ultimate rewards points for cash from my CSR account. The Chase people were nice for the most part, but getting the whole thing unwound, a new card issued, and all the points put back was a horrific logistical nightmare. Moral(s) of the story: make sure you ALSO pay attention to your points balance as well as your card charges, and never leave more points sitting in your account than you want someone to steal if they hack that side of your account.
Old Dec 6, 2018, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by restrictonthehanger
I got a call while overseas for a purchase I made that they suspected was fraud. So they still do call.
was it outsourced dept or based in the US
Old Dec 6, 2018, 8:30 am

was it outsourced dept or based in the US
I believe it was outsourced but I can't remember tbh.

The call was legitimate as it happened right after a purchase, the person left a voicemail and stated the store and foreign currency amount, and I called the number on the back of my card to respond.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: Mucci Reperateur des Coeurs Brises
Endless security hold on brand-new Sapphire Reserve card

I received my new Chase Sapphire Reserve card on May 30th. When attempting to make my first purchase, a security hold was promptly placed on the account without explanation. When calling to inquire about the problem, Chase was not able to send a verification code to my mobile phone (no explanation provided). They proceeded to ask me all sorts of absurd and ridiculous security questions about employers I have never had, addresses I have never lived at, where my social security number was issued despite being born abroad, the exact dates of addresses from over 10 years ago, and much more of the same (they do not actually seem to ask questions that I can actually answer). Every time, the agents ask similarly esoteric questions about situations that are entirely unknown to myself. And they obfuscate and refuse to provide information. After calling four times, I still have no clue why a security hold was even placed on the account. Chase has also been calling phone numbers that are no longer associated with my account, and that I actively removed from my account some time ago, but not calling the numbers that listed in my online profile. Now my online account has also been frozen. I called them back to try get again to resolve the issue, only to be told yet another department is "reviewing" the account for fraudulent activity, but that department cannot be reached by telephone.

One agent seemed to intimate that the problem arose due to the fact I am abroad. But, wait... this is a card with very extensive travel benefits geared towards travellers. Why then would it be suspicious that someone would be, you know, traveling?

I have been a customer with Chase since 2003. Does that count for nothing?

Could it be that this is not even a Chase card but some elaborate ruse by identity thieves? I have become so concerned about the level of incompetence displayed and flat-out refusal to provide information about my own financial accounts, that I am considering cancelling the card completely and severing ties with Chase. In the meantime, I have placed freezes at all the credit bureaus. To be clear, I only ever call the number listed on the back of the card that I also verified on the Chase website. I have never called any other number. The card also appeared in my online Chase account alongside my other accounts, including posting of the annual fee, so everything seems (or seemed) kosher.

What on Earth could possibly be wrong? Anybody have a similar experiences?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
The fraud and security dept is never pleasant, but Chase isn't that bad in the scheme of things. If you really want a frustrating experience try doing all this with Citi... They seem to top every other bank in outsourcing and hiring idiots that don't speak English/pretend not to understand so they don't have to do any real work
Old Jun 11, 2019, 6:07 pm
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
What on Earth could possibly be wrong?
Chase is attempting to verify that the person calling in is actually the person who applied for the card. It is normal that they will not explain anything, because an explanation would help you if you were impersonating someone else.

The security questions sound normal. They are created by an algorithm from public records. If you do not know the answer, just say so. That is a valid and expected response.

Being born abroad does not preclude having a Social Security number. Do you have one?

Is your current wireless phone account with a USA-based carrier?

Are you trying to make the initial transaction outside the USA?

Last edited by mia; Jun 11, 2019 at 6:14 pm
Old Jun 11, 2019, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by mia
Chase is attempting to verify that the person calling in is actually the person who applied for the card. It is normal that they will not explain anything, because an explanation would help you if you were impersonating someone else.

The security questions sound normal. They are created by an algorithm from public records. If you do not know the answer, just say so. That is a valid and expected response.
But it becomes extremely frustrating when the ONLY questions they ask are seemingly entirely random and never based on my public record. Not once have I been asked a question that I could confidently answer, so no wonder they doubt my identity.

Originally Posted by mia
Being born abroad does not preclude having a Social Security number. Do you have one?
Of course I have a SSN, otherwise how would I have a US credit card? I was born abroad, so how would I know where my SSN was issued? At least, how would I know that in a split second without ever having thought of that in the last three decades of my existence?

Originally Posted by mia
Is your current wireless phone account with a USA-based carrier?
Yes. Multiple numbers provided them did not work. I had several friends and family send me text messages to be sure there was no problem, and I received them all immediately. Only Chase seems to have an issue with sending text messages to my mobile phone.

Originally Posted by mia
Are you trying to make the initial transaction outside the USA?
No. The first and only initial transaction was in the same city as my primary address where the card was sent.

Security is all well and good, but this is absurd. Chase has had multiple chances to verify my identity and has failed to do so every time. This is on them, not on me. They called yet again, and yet again were obfuscating and confusing. I told them: resolve this within 48 hours or I cancel the card and close my other Chase accounts. I have other options.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 12:45 am

Have you tried going to a bank. I had similar issue but once the agent in the bank say they verify my id and manager verify id the security dept is ok.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:45 am

Have you tried going to a bank. I had similar issue but once the agent in the bank say they verify my id and manager verify id the security dept is ok.
Was just thinking the same. Currently abroad. If there are problems again over the phone I will suggest I just go to a Chase branch when back in the US.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
Was just thinking the same. Currently abroad. If there are problems again over the phone I will suggest I just go to a Chase branch when back in the US.
Turns out my account had been suspended and then actually closed due to "inability to verify receipt of card" despite having gone online to verify receipt using my existing chase.com account, before trying to make my first purchase. They had no explanation for why this happened, and why it was such an intensely laborious process to have the hold lifted. I had to go to a Chase branch, showed them FOUR different forms of identity but the fraud department still insisted on the security question circus. The very very nice and helpful banker at the Chase branch was literally rolling her eyes, but it was her intervention that eventually ensured my account was reinstated so I am very thankful (and have sent a compliment about her help, while still scolding the processes at Chase in general). But in the end, the account was reinstated, and of course, in the end this is all first world problems stuff.

Problem is now I have missed out of thousands of dollars in expenses I had planned to put on the card. I think Chase should give me extra time to reach my $3000 spend to get the sign-up bonus. What do the experts here think? This was all Chase's doing, after all...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.