Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2014, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Fraud on Sapphire Preferred

I had fraud activity on my card yesterday. The disturbing part was that it was in person, at the mall 2 miles from my house. I had my card on me and my girlfriend did not. My first thought was they broke into our apartment and stole her card which was left out for the taking. However, I got home and all was fine. I called the fraud line and closed the account, etc. Has anyone in a similar situation gone ahead and filed a police report? This is actually the 2nd time I've had fraud charges against my CSP. The first time were just small charges from facebook and hyatt and I was sent a new card and new number. I've never had any problems with any other card, including my 5 other chase cards.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by ibleed0range
I had fraud activity on my card yesterday. The disturbing part was that it was in person, at the mall 2 miles from my house. I had my card on me and my girlfriend did not. My first thought was they broke into our apartment and stole her card which was left out for the taking. However, I got home and all was fine. I called the fraud line and closed the account, etc. Has anyone in a similar situation gone ahead and filed a police report? This is actually the 2nd time I've had fraud charges against my CSP. The first time were just small charges from facebook and hyatt and I was sent a new card and new number. I've never had any problems with any other card, including my 5 other chase cards.
Someone probably skimmed it somewhere, your place was not broken into, especially if your card is still there.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
I have not had this happen...knock on wood. However, I would immediately file a police report. The store that it was used in likely has security cameras on the registers.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:44 am

A family member got fraud charges on her barclay card. She called immediately (she said the rep was not that nice) and said the card was physically present when it was used (in another state). She has the card in her possession. I said her number probably got skinmed. Anyway, she was not happy about the customer service and I told her to keep at it. Account closed, new account opened, fraud charges in dispute. I would have suggested her to close it out (poor CS) if it was not for the points she had not used yet (for later on in the year). I don't have a barclay card but her experience with Barclays didn't give me high hopes that they are as good as other cc companies like amex and chase.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:46 am

Oh I posted in another thread before but I have gotten a fraud charge on my chase sapphire. It was my first (fraud) and only fraud charge ever "knock on wood". I set up alerts on all my chase accounts ever since.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 11:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, M life Noir
Originally Posted by BOShappyflyer
A family member got fraud charges on her barclay card. She called immediately (she said the rep was not that nice) and said the card was physically present when it was used (in another state). She has the card in her possession. I said her number probably got skinmed. Anyway, she was not happy about the customer service and I told her to keep at it. Account closed, new account opened, fraud charges in dispute. I would have suggested her to close it out (poor CS) if it was not for the points she had not used yet (for later on in the year). I don't have a barclay card but her experience with Barclays didn't give me high hopes that they are as good as other cc companies like amex and chase.
Barclay's CS is absolutely terrible.

I had fraud on my CSP over a year ago. The card never left my possession, but randomly had charges from Russia one day. Chase's fraud prevention department proactively called me about it, the bad charges were immediately reversed, and I had a new card within 48 hours. No issues since then.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA 1/MM SPG gold, CEO: Grandmother of 4
Last winter I was in South Beach for a month and happen to check my online Chase card. There was a $500.00 purchase at the Target in Miami which I have never been in. It was charged 30 minutes before I saw it, called Target immediately and was told it was made in person.......and I had my credit card in my hand as I was talking to her, so not lost or stolen! Talk to the security dept and was told that an actual credit card can be made from a reciept. Chase covered it, but had to get new card.....a pain!

It always makes we think how clever these crooks are and why not use those brains more constructly. Yeah, I know they make more money being dishonest!
Old Apr 26, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: HH Gold, CC Gold
I had someone charge their auto insurance on my card last month. I saw the charge as I check my accounts once a week and reported it to Chase. They sent it back to the insurance company who only told them what car model it covered. So charge back was confirmed, account closed and new card sent with envelope for old card to be destroyed by Chase.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, UA, AS, DL, BA, F9, IHG Plat, HH Gold, CC Gold, SPG Gold, MR Silver
Barclays CS is the worst of every cc issuer I have ever dealt with.
Old Apr 26, 2014, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by skibum7732
Barclays CS is the worst of every cc issuer I have ever dealt with.
Yeah, I've come to realize it. She got a letter in the mail today saying that a dispute has been opened, and they are investigating. I looked at the letter (her first experience with fraud charges, and she's pretty upset about the whole thing as well as the accusatory tone the second CS had when she talked to Barclay). The letter noted that if they determined the charge to be invalid, the charges will reversed. If they determined to be valid, she will be responsible for the charges.

That made absolutely no sense to me. I thought consumers have protection -- either 0 liability for fraud charges or $50 liability (depending on issuer).

In any case, the charges were made out of state at some wine category store (she does not drink). When she called to report that fraud charge, she also noticed 2 other pending charges when she was checking the account. Barclay said those other ones cannot be disputed until they posted, so the whole thing is kind of ridiculous to me.

I'd already advise her to keep good records, and also to be prepared to file a written dispute for record keeping. I have no idea how they determine which charge is valid or invalid; they don't even have her signature on file. The whole thing is beyond ridiculous so far; I don't think she's going to keep her relationship with Barclay after this whole thing is over. What a mess.
Old Apr 28, 2014, 11:41 am

I don't think she's going to keep her relationship with Barclay after this whole thing is over. What a mess.
A few weeks back I had a two unauthorized charges on my freedom card. Luckily I have android alerts so I noticed immediately and the CS rep took it off with no trouble at all. The second charge actually happened while I was talking to the CS rep! The fraudulent charges never even posted. Chase made a potentially stressful situation very pleasant and I'm happy to bring them more business.

I had high hopes for the Barclay card but after reading your posts I'm reconsidering. If Chase can correct unauthorized charges in a pending state then it's ridiculous that Barclays needs to wait until they post. I'm wishing you the best of luck in your case.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:58 am

Chase Sapphire Preferred Fraud/Security. How much is too much?

Hello all, I searched this area but found no answers to this.

Recently, Sept 2014, I received the CSP card. Every time I do a charge over $300 my card i declined by Chase and I have to call in to have them reopen it. Each time i talk with them I tell that this is really inconvenient and they assure me that this won't happen again. Sometimes, I'm declined, call in, go to do the charge again, and am declined. This past weekend I spent over 4 hours calling in with my Xmas time shopping.

Does anyone have any tips or things I can do to get this to stop? I've spoken to a Chase manager and they have even assured me that it won't happen again, but, when I went to buy furniture this morning, sure enough, declined and had to call in.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 12:23 pm

start using slowly

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Dec 6, 2014 at 12:40 pm
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:17 pm

Programs: UA, VX, QF, EY, VA
I had the same issue the first month.

The fraud people called me and asked why I'm spending so much money.

I told them if they didn't like it I'd go back to Amex.

Never declined again.

Make sure you have fraud alert texts turned on. That way you can verify your own charges.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by calguy77
Every time I do a charge over $300 my card i declined by Chase and I have to call in to have them reopen it...
What is your CL and where exactly did you make the purchase?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.