Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:37 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
Problem is now I have missed out of thousands of dollars in expenses I had planned to put on the card. I think Chase should give me extra time to reach my $3000 spend to get the sign-up bonus. What do the experts here think? This was all Chase's doing, after all...
Sorry to hear about the difficulties you experienced. When even a Chase employee is rolling her eyes at the procedure, it does seem like someone got carried away. But to your question about whether "the experts here think" Chase should give you extra time to meet the initial spend, I doubt if Chase will be swayed by the court of public opinion that is FlyerTalk. In other words, it doesn't matter what people here think. Ask, hope for the best, and expect the worst. Good luck.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:40 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by serpens
... I doubt if Chase will be swayed by the court of public opinion that is FlyerTalk. In other words, it doesn't matter what people here think.
I expect SchmeckFlyer is asking if we think it's worth expending the time and effort to request extra time. I wouldn't bother. Even if you can work your way through the layers of agents, supervisors and managers to someone who has the authority to change the terms, I wouldn't have confidence that the change would be implemented, which means another run through the bureaucracy if the bonus did not post. However, I would ask Chase (by SM) to confirm in writing the amount of the bonus, the spend, and the exact date by which it must be made.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 6:06 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Wow, this system is utterly useless. I approved a charge immediately three times and it asked me to retry and it still got rejected. Just went with my Amex instead. Come on, Chase.
Old Jun 30, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: Continental Onepass, Hilton, Marriott, USAir and now UA
Originally Posted by msp3
The fraud and security dept is never pleasant, but Chase isn't that bad in the scheme of things. If you really want a frustrating experience try doing all this with Citi... They seem to top every other bank in outsourcing and hiring idiots that don't speak English/pretend not to understand so they don't have to do any real work
Just got off the line with the fraud dept. They were professional and polite. My Freedom card somehow got hacked but the idiots tried to do a test run using it on-line (which is something we never do) and it ran afoul of the algorithm and the charge was declined.
We had used this card consistently at supermarkets since that was the 5% category this past quarter. Now we have to wait for new cards to be sent

I wonder how many centi bitcoins the hacker had to spend for the number.
msp3 likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:16 pm

Originally Posted by caliform
Wow, this system is utterly useless. I approved a charge immediately three times and it asked me to retry and it still got rejected. Just went with my Amex instead. Come on, Chase.
I was never able to get a legit charge to go thru because I answer Yes on the txt or email or even call them on the phone. The agent will tell me that the charge is already rejected and I need to tell them to charge it again. But then it won't work. So pretty much if you get the fraud alert on a legit charge, you just have to switch to non-Chase card.

I think the purpose of sending you the alert is not for your to confirm a legit charge. It is for you to confirm that it is a fraudulent charge so they could stop your card until you call them.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Need
I was never able to get a legit charge to go thru because I answer Yes on the txt or email or even call them on the phone. The agent will tell me that the charge is already rejected and I need to tell them to charge it again. But then it won't work. So pretty much if you get the fraud alert on a legit charge, you just have to switch to non-Chase card.

I think the purpose of sending you the alert is not for your to confirm a legit charge. It is for you to confirm that it is a fraudulent charge so they could stop your card until you call them.
FWIW, my most recent experience with those texts/emails involved a Circle K gas pump (and the charge did go through after answering Yes). I don't typically get declined charges all that often, however.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by tmiw
FWIW, my most recent experience with those texts/emails involved a Circle K gas pump (and the charge did go through after answering Yes). I don't typically get declined charges all that often, however.
Good to know. My last one was a new vending machine installed at my work that takes credit card. I was just trying to get a 20oz of coke zero. Answered yes, still rejected. Switch to another Chase, still rejected. Now I have to answer Yes on a different txt. So wait a few days.. same thing. Eventually it did work after a month or so...

Although the charge is $1.50 and from a vending machine, so it could look suspicious.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL DM; 2MM
A first one for me after a long life of credit card use.
Puzzled by a mobile fraud alert on a Chase card number unknown to me.
An email alert mentions the brand new Chase BA card. I applied for this card on August 23rd, 2019 and was instantly approved. This morning on September 4th, not even two weeks later, a long list of charges were made with this card.

I didn't even receive and activate the card yet !

Fraud agent remarks: "Too early for you to have received it - intercepted somewhere - happens every day".
Old Sep 4, 2019, 12:35 pm
mia

Similar report, 2012, American Express:

Quickest case of fraud ever?
Old Nov 30, 2019, 12:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Chase UA Visa card WIFE CANCELLED

Sharing wife's experience with Chase Visa.

Wife called Chase this morning to tell them she was going to buy $500-$1000 in gift cards at Vons Grocery Store this morning (Vons had a special deal). The Chase operator said not a problem, as her credit limit was very large. Wife told her it has been a problem for two years in a row. Chase, not to worry.

Wife goes to Vons and tries to make the purchase (one hour later), but card not honored AGAIN this year. The first year, okay as she did not call first. The second year angry, as she called first. This year really embarrassed as a lot of people were giving her the "poor old lady" overspent her card look. Vons tried to process twice. Meantime I got an alert on our pc (I was home) that the card had been declined and was it okay to allow it. I replied YES to both. I then called my wife's cell and left a message. She was trying to call Chase but was put on infinite hold. Bottom line, the clerk at Vons decided to split the purchase into two smaller purchases. The first went thru ($500), the second did not. Wife eventually used a different card for the balance of the purchase. This complicated the Vons points we were to get with the gift cards purchase (a different issue, but Vons called "headquarters" and we got our points a hour later).

When she got home, she was really upset. I told her to call Chase and tell them what happen and ask for a waiver of the card fee for one year, after three years of hassle and embarrassment. She called. Gave the operator the ladies name at Chase that she talked to. Chase is sorry but cannot provide anything more. Transferred to customer retention. Asked for waiver of card fee. No deal. Asked for UA points. No deal. So after being a card holder for more than 3 decades she cancelled!

I, hubby, have card too. We use her card for UA Flight purchase, baggage check, boarding line status (when not in Business) and historically to get the "free club passes" which we seldom use, as we are usually in business international, and seldom can use the club before our domestic departure. Up until the last few years those passes were gifted on FT. Now they are electronic and mostly just die. In the near future we will just use my card when flying UA. Maybe resign up in two years and get bonus points and a free year?

Did I suggest her to try something unreasonable? What would you have done?
Old Dec 1, 2019, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
There are lots of threads here and in the UA forum about the impact of United's recent mileage plus changes on people's desire to hold the card. The majority view appears to be that it's not worth keeping the card, and certainly not worth putting any spend on it considering the alternatives that provide better value and more flexibility (primary alternative: CSR). My wife would probably have cancelled her card after that experience as well (alas, Chase cancelled it a few years ago for inactivity... it was the $0 AF card)
Old Dec 1, 2019, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Chase's fraud alerts can be finicky. Sometimes they alert on identical transactions that haven't in the past, sometimes the email to clear the fraud block works (or doesn't), etc. Unblocking a Chase fraud alert isn't reliable in my experience.

Personally I wouldn't have even thought to ask for a fee waiver in this situation, but wouldn't have expected them to give me one if I had. Anything's worth a try I suppose. I would have just chalked it up to Chase's annoying fraud alert system and moved on with my day.

Though since you say your wife had the card for a long time, the rule is 24 months from you last bonus, so you could in theory wait a couple months and have your wife apply again. As notquiteaff alludes to, UA miles are of a lot more questionable value than they used to be, but that's up to you. It's probably only worth it for you to both have the card if you frequently fly separately.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
Just noticed 4 unauthorized charges on my CSR card. Called the Sapphire help-line, then got transferred to the Fraud department. They are sending me a new card.
I have not had any fraudulent charges before on this card, so I am a bit surprised.
Hopefully I will not encounter any other trouble.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:22 am
mia

Originally Posted by zip10001
I have not had any fraudulent charges before on this card,...
Card numbers are often compromised in bulk data thefts, nothing to do with your physical card. The numbers are subsequently bundled and sold. The replacement card number would not have been compromised in the same incident.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by radonc1
Now we have to wait for new cards to be sent
If your card was on Apple Pay, pull up the wallet on your phone and you will see that the last four digits have changed from what they were to the last four digits of the new account (I'm talking about the numbers you see on the card image, not the device account on the details). There may even be a legend under the card stating that you can continue to use the card on the phone without interruption. This is a great feature.

I've no idea if other e-wallets (Google Pay, Samsung, whatever else might exist in the Android world) support this feature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.