Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2021, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Not very impressed with Chase chargeback procedure at all! I called to explain the situation to the phone rep...
Did you try just clicking "dispute charge" on the transaction on the website?
pallhedge likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Yes, it said I had to call them!
Old Jul 23, 2021, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer
I received my new Chase Sapphire Reserve card on May 30th. When attempting to make my first purchase, a security hold was promptly placed on the account without explanation. When calling to inquire about the problem, Chase was not able to send a verification code to my mobile phone (no explanation provided).
Unfortunately this is a huge hassle. They refuse to send 2FA messages to non-US carriers or VOIP carriers. This excludes a lot of carriers in the US like Republic Wireless, Google Voice, Callcentric, etc. These are great services that are way more useful than traditional telcos and have lots of customers so I'm surprised it doesn't cause them more issues than just the occasional oddball like us.

It's awful but the banks have gotten themselves in quite a pickle here. They adopted SMS for two-factor-authentication just as the tech industry realized using phones for authentication is a terrible idea. Phone companies are not in the business of doing authentication and they are one of the least trustworthy industries. In any sane world it would be the other way around -- banks would be handling authentication and phone companies would be outsourcing authenticating their users to banks who would have a real interest in doing a good job at this. But somehow they were slow and spent a lot of effort to implement an out-dated system that doesn't work well. So now they're stuck doing things like barring foreign phone lines and voip providers as a hacky bandaid since the major telcos are marginally more reliable at authenticating users than the mom&pop voip companies.

They proceeded to ask me all sorts of absurd and ridiculous security questions about employers I have never had, addresses I have never lived at, where my social security number was issued despite being born abroad, the exact dates of addresses from over 10 years ago, and much more of the same (they do not actually seem to ask questions that I can actually answer). Every time, the agents ask similarly esoteric questions about situations that are entirely unknown to myself. And they obfuscate and refuse to provide information.
This is pretty standard and I agree it's an awful system. If you don't have much on your credit report like a car or mortgage or whatever then there's not much the system can ask about so it makes up questions. Unfortunately this system is used by a lot of organizations including government agencies. When they ask about cars (it always seems to be a 20+ year old car too!) or a mortgage or whatever it's easy to just say no. When they ask how long you lived at an address it's a bit tougher since you have to listen pretty carefully to figure out whether the address might possibly be equivalent to an office address for a previous job or something.

One agent seemed to intimate that the problem arose due to the fact I am abroad. But, wait... this is a card with very extensive travel benefits geared towards travellers. Why then would it be suspicious that someone would be, you know, traveling?

What on Earth could possibly be wrong? Anybody have a similar experiences?
I'm caught in a very similar experience. Were you able to get your account reactivated? Did you manage to speak to anyone who had authority to act or only the front-line agents?
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 2:46 am

Contacting CHASE Fraud Department by email

Does anyone know how one can contact the Fraud Department at Chase by email?

I am in Europe at the moment and just received an email notification that an obviously fraudulent charge was posted to my Marriott Bonvoy CC. I clicked the link indicating that I do not recognize the charge and there was an instant response that my card would be closed down immediately and a new card sent.

However since I have only US land line numbers associated with my Chase accounts there is no way I can log in to my Chase account and check what other charges have posted or communicate with them.

Does anybody have an address where one can send them a simple email?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 3:45 am

Programs: *A
Call collect the number on the back of your card? Or use Skype or some other voip.
Old Dec 8, 2021, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by sds1493
Call collect the number on the back of your card? Or use Skype or some other voip.
It'd be kinda scary if someone can just send an email to close/replace a card.

Calling the number on the back of your card is probably the simplest. Otherwise, you can fax the dispute apartment at +1-888-643-9624. Although I assume they can't do anything until you call in or secure message them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.