Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase fraud alerts & fraudulent charges [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:02 pm

Is it normal for Chase to be very late in sending out fraud alerts after they decline and lock out a card?

So I was at the gas station at around midnight, picking up gift cards to help use up my Freedom Q1 bonus and the charge wasn't going through. I pulled up the Chase app, nothing. I had >$20k credit left on the card so that wasn't it. I've bought countless gift cards at this same gas station last year with no issue.

The cashier seemed very new, so I figured they were running the machine wrong. Tried a few more times, nada. I ended up putting it on my Amex since I needed the cards.

The next morning at almost 10am, I get an e-mail from Chase saying there might be something up, but the e-mail was poorly formatted so it wasn't displaying properly on my phone. I called the # on my card and indeed they had declined the charge as fraudulent, got that settled and they gave me bonus points for transaction since I put it on my Amex (very nice gesture, not necessary and I didn't ask for it, but appreciated). The phone rep said Chase wasn't allowed to contact me except between ~8:30am-9pm, so that's why I didn't get the fraud alert sooner.

Is this normal for Chase? I'm used to living in Amex land where they're right on top of fraudulent charges. From live phone reps calling me within 5 seconds of the charge being declined to the Amex app chirping and asking if it's me within 30 seconds. I don't think I've ever had it be more than 1 minute with Amex.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would have called Chase on the spot if a charge was declined. Never have a charge run more than twice.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 1:08 pm

At the register, I assumed the employee was making a mistake -- usually they ask for the CCV # and an ID when purchasing gift cards. He asked for none of this, which is why I initially thought it was him, not card.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Total BS.

AFAIF - nowadays, you can get fraud alerts from your phone app, SMS, emails, and calls.

I am not so sure that a curfew, even true, will bar Chase from sending alerts in other means.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 8:45 pm

@garykung: That was my thought as well... I even signed onto the Chase app while still in the gas station, nothing at all in the Notifications.

Is this normally how Chase handles things?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by KRSW
Is this normally how Chase handles things?
Well...there are always top and bottom...so I would not be surprise when Chase fails to do this well...
Old Mar 2, 2016, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta BA IHG UAL
Declined charge, fraud alert 9 hours later?

Chase Sapphire was used at "Rooms to Go" around 6pm on Sunday, Chase sent a fraud alert around 1-2am Monday. They cancelled the card because they can't receive a response when everyone was sleeping.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:12 am

Chase fraud alerts [consolidated]

I have the Chase United Airlines Milage Plus Explorer card and have had way too many fraud breaches. Wondering if this is common for Chase cards?

In the past four years, I have had five fraud breaches and have been issued a new card each time.

While these are generally not a big deal, and are resolved quickly, the after effects have become a major hassle, as I use this card for literally all of my expenses and have nearly 40 automatic charges attached to it. My annual spend is over the 6 figure mark, so there are a ton of transactions (all of which are mine, and vetted).

Going through this for a 5th time in four years is just annoying, and it takes probably 2+ hours to deal with changing the account numbers, again.

I have several American Express cards as well as a citi AA Mastercard and have never had a fraud issue with them with over 20 years of ownership.

Is this just a Chase deal? Any advice on how to deal with it, outside of just terminating the account?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:50 am
Suspended

There was a period about 1-3 years ago where I had a a few breaches in a fairly short succession. No idea what happened and the matter was always resolved quickly, but like you, I have multiple recurring payments and it's a pain to update everything.

I've been "accident free" for the past year or so -- hope it continues.

I use the United MileagePlus Club Card (Business Version).

Good luck!
Old Apr 28, 2016, 10:51 am

Chase has had data breach issues for years that they blindly fail to acknowledge.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by mxnick
Is this just a Chase deal? Any advice on how to deal with it, outside of just terminating the account?
My CSP was breached a few months ago, I do not have any auto payments on it and believe it was probably done at a restaurant of some sort.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:57 am

I've had Chase replace my Marriott card on at least two occasions due to fraud.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 2:36 pm

Had 2 cards breached in last 3 months from Chase. United was one, and can't remember the other...
Old Apr 28, 2016, 3:21 pm

i think its Chase, ive had my CSP replaced a few times... currently, i havent used my CSP for a couple month, got a fraud alert out of random.

some people were also reporting getting their new card shipped in the mail, even before it arrived, it already got fraud alerts...
Old Apr 28, 2016, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by BuBu4
some people were also reporting getting their new card shipped in the mail, even before it arrived, it already got fraud alerts...
^ Yep.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.