Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Boraxo
Note: because of state laws, the CDW that Chase provides on several of its higher-end cards is only secondary coverage, not primary, for residents of Minnesota, New York, North Dakota, Rhode Island, and Texas. (report)

For MN Specifically: Statute 65b.49.5a requires that auto policies issued in the state must cover damage to rental cars with a $0 deductible as part of property liability coverage, even if the policy holder does not have comprehensive or collision coverage on their personal vehicle. This requires insurers to cover "loss of use" and damage with a minimum limit of $35,000 (even if the policy general property damage limit is lower) in 1995 dollars with a paragraph stating this number should be adjusted with CPI, so that's nearly $70k of minimum coverage as of 2023. Even if you are renting in a different state, your MN auto policy will still apply. Chase Benefit Administrators have interpreted this statute to mean that your personal auto insurance supersedes the coverage provided by Indemnity Insurance Company of North America.

Important Note: Uhaul cargo vans are specifically excluded from coverage so do not rely on Chase card for CDW if renting UHaul or similar.

Links to coverage documentation: CSR CSP INK Preferred

Submit claim at eclaimsline.com

Print Wikipost

Chase Auto Rental CDW; questions & experiences [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: DL,UA,AA,F9,NK,B6
Originally Posted by garykung
I am not sure about your source of information.

AFAIK - the countries you mentioned are not typical excluded from insurance coverage provided by credit card.
I don't remember the source, but it's my understanding that I have read that Germany and Israel are among countries where this kind of the coverage is illegal. I will search for more information about this.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve A phone # is at the bottom of page 2 that you can call for answers.
Needless to say, I did call the Chase Sapphire benefits number, and none knew thee answer. They asked me to contact rental companies. I contacted Hertz and Avis and nobody knew the answer either.

That's why I published my question here hoping to hear form ones with their personal experience in this.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by mandrivnyk
Needless to say, I did call the Chase Sapphire benefits number, and none knew thee answer. They asked me to contact rental companies. I contacted Hertz and Avis and nobody knew the answer either.

That's why I published my question here hoping to hear form ones with their personal experience in this.
I just called their # @ 1-888-675-1461 and the rep. told me that there are NO excluded countries. Enjoy your trip.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:58 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
I have the Chase Sapphire Reserve credit card that offers the LDW/CDW for rental cars as a primary coverage.

I remember to have seen the information that the coverage for rental cars by credit cards is illegal in Germany, but there is nothing about that in Chase Sapphire Reserve benefits.

I will be renting the car in Amsterdam and drive it to Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, and maybe France.

I have asked both Chase and Hertz whether I am going to be covered in Germany, but they both did not know the answer.

Has anyone already had such an experience and does anyone know for sure whether I will be covered in Germany if I pay the whole rental price with my Chase Sapphire Reserve card and decline the rental company LDW/CDW?

Thanks!
Nothing illegal about credit card providing coverage for vehicle in Germany. I've had claims by Sixt against damage I caused to the rental vehicle paid by Citi last November.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list

Here's info from VISA website: https://usa.visa.com/support/consume...enefits.html#2

Q: How does the benefit work for international auto rentals?

A: For international rentals this benefit is primary, and covers the rental vehicle for physical damage, vandalism, and theft. Coverage does not apply to lost or stolen personal belongings, injury to anyone, medical expenses, or personal liability. You may rent the vehicle for up to 31 consecutive days per contract. And you must report damages to Card Benefit Services within 45 days of the incident. Coverage is not available in Jamaica, Ireland, or Israel. It is not available where it is prohibited by law or by individual merchants, or is in violation of the territory terms of the rental agreement. Please note: Regulations vary outside the United States, so we recommend that you check with your auto rental company before you travel to make sure this benefit will apply.

If you happen to be renting a vehicle in Australia, New Zealand, Costa Rica, or Italy, please note: often the purchase of a minimum level of collision damage coverage is mandated in these countries. In that case, your benefit is supplemental to that required coverage.

You'll be fine in Europe, except as noted above. You could try calling VISA and ask them to fax you a letter stating that you will be covered in your particular countries. That's what many of us did with Mastercard. Then show the letter to the rental agent.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The question is, WHERE the poster has seen this absurd information about CDW/LDW coverage from credit card is illegal in Germany?

There are countries where the basic CDW is mandated by the government, hence included in the rental rate - Australia, NZ, South Africa come to mind ... but additional coverage from credit card has never been illegal in any country afaik.

For those countries where coverage is mandatory (meaning you cannot decline) the credit cards cover the deductible before the mandatory CDW kicks in.

Fwiw, AMEX told me the reason they dont provide coverage for Australia and NZ is because the governments do not want to sign an agreement with AMEX therefore these 2 countries are among the exclusion. Visa covers the "excess" which is the same as the "deductible" here.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:22 pm

UR points and coverage

So, what is the final verdict on getting the CDW coverage if rented with UR points fully ?

These two write ups seem to indicate that it will be covered even when paid with points. TPG and MMS

I have a CSR and looking to book with points.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:35 am

I just called their # @ 1-888-675-1461 and the rep. told me that there are NO excluded countries. Enjoy your trip.
Thank you so much. I really don't understand why they told me exactly "This is a good question, but I don't know the answer. You should talk to the car rental company as the answer depends on the rental company rules". When I called the rental company, they didn't tell me anything useful either.

Thanks again. You seem to have reached a more right person than I did

Last edited by mandrivnyk; Nov 3, 2016 at 1:41 am
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:36 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Nothing illegal about credit card providing coverage for vehicle in Germany. I've had claims by Sixt against damage I caused to the rental vehicle paid by Citi last November.
Great! This is a kind of the personal stories I was looking for! Nice to know this really works.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 1:39 am

Here's info from VISA website: https://usa.visa.com/support/consume...enefits.html#2

Q: How does the benefit work for international auto rentals?

A: For international rentals this benefit is primary, and covers the rental vehicle for physical damage, vandalism, and theft. Coverage does not apply to lost or stolen personal belongings, injury to anyone, medical expenses, or personal liability. You may rent the vehicle for up to 31 consecutive days per contract. And you must report damages to Card Benefit Services within 45 days of the incident. Coverage is not available in Jamaica, Ireland, or Israel. It is not available where it is prohibited by law or by individual merchants, or is in violation of the territory terms of the rental agreement. Please note: Regulations vary outside the United States, so we recommend that you check with your auto rental company before you travel to make sure this benefit will apply.

If you happen to be renting a vehicle in Australia, New Zealand, Costa Rica, or Italy, please note: often the purchase of a minimum level of collision damage coverage is mandated in these countries. In that case, your benefit is supplemental to that required coverage.

You'll be fine in Europe, except as noted above.
Now I understand that I had been thinking about the unavailability of that coverage in German from official Visa rules, but due to the mess in my memory I forgot both the countries list (though I remembered about Israel) and where I had seen about these countries. Now it became clear.

You could try calling VISA and ask them to fax you a letter stating that you will be covered in your particular countries. That's what many of us did with Mastercard. Then show the letter to the rental agent.
Yes, I thought about asking for the letter. This may be especially useful for Latin America, but also not bad for Europe.

And this also answers the question:

Originally Posted by Happy
The question is, WHERE the poster has seen this absurd information about CDW/LDW coverage from credit card is illegal in Germany?

Last edited by mandrivnyk; Nov 3, 2016 at 2:09 am
Old Dec 27, 2016, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lanb
So, what is the final verdict on getting the CDW coverage if rented with UR points fully ?

These two write ups seem to indicate that it will be covered even when paid with points. TPG and MMS

I have a CSR and looking to book with points.
Can anyone answer question this with certainty? I want to book a car rental soon.
Old Dec 28, 2016, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by linsj
Can anyone answer question this with certainty? I want to book a car rental soon.
they told me it is covered repeatedly i have no doubt about it, as card use from cards like CSR. But mind you, the CSR card benefit dept is a dishonest and deceptive company according to my experience.

They wanted to ignore and deny my flight trip interruption claim. First they kept asking me to send in all the docs after i have already sent/emailed them and then weeks later, The ignore all my documents and lie by saying that my return flight was paid for by Air canada. I booked AC round trip using CSR, I had medical emergency on original return date, AC wouldn't rebook unless i pay more than round trip costs in penalty for one way. I had to book my return flight on AA using my BA Points. I sent all the docs, yet they say AC deposited all my chase points to BA account and and then AC rebooked the AA flight on BA site. I have asked them multiple times to show me proof of AC booking or paying for my return flight and they wouldn't show me any evidence or document or any proof.Such nonsense lie! They play game and makes up lie to deny a small claim like this. I have filed few complaints against the benefit dept. I complained this directly to CSR card customer service reps, they kept saying they can't do anything.
Because of the pathetic and dishonest card benefit dept for the CSR, I will cancel my CSR soon before another fee comes up.

Last edited by Blueskyheaven; Dec 28, 2016 at 11:43 am
Old Dec 29, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
Loss of Use and Fleet Utilization log:

I was wondering if anyone had any recent experience with Chase's insurance paying out the Loss of Use. The benefits guide says it covers it with this language (and this seems pretty standard with other credit cards as well):
https://www.chasebenefits.com/sapphirereserve

• Valid loss-of-use charges assessed by the rental company while the
damaged vehicle is being repaired and is not available for use, as
substantiated in the company’s fleet utilization log

I've found various threads in here that claim that AMEX and possibly others have used this to not pay out. As this post says for example http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/13246827-post11.html

How is the insurance company Chase uses for the the CSR?

I've had the CSR for a few months. I currently have 6 months left from insuremyrentalcar.com . (I had an accident with Hertz with them but Hertz still hasn't sent me any damage claim info, so I can't vouch for if I'll have any problems with them).

I'm looking for people's experience with the CSR as I probably won't renew the other insurance now that I have primary CDW from the CSR (unless people tell me the CSR insurance is like AMEX's, where you get in the catch-22 situation listed in that post I quoted above).

Edit:
I read in another CSR insurance thread here that Broadspire/Crawford handles insurance for Chase (at least for that trip interruption benefit, so it's a good chance it does for this CDW insurance as well). Interestingly, that's who I ultimately ended up with insuremyrentalcar . Their website says Chubb underwrites them but I got document requests from Broadspire/Crawford so maybe this question is moot anyway as it seems CSR might be giving me the same insurer.

Anyway, I appreciate again, if anyone can post their claim experience with rental car damage (specifically concerning the Loss of use) as I discussed above. Thanks.

Last edited by rhwbullhead; Dec 29, 2016 at 7:59 pm
Old Jan 6, 2017, 11:00 pm

Chase Sapphire Reserve Auto Car Rental Policy Question:

Hi all,

I used my Hertz points to rent a car and paid taxes and other associated fees with my Chase Sapphire Reserve points.

I was driving through the mountains and the road was really icy and every one was sliding and so everyone was extra careful and some people had a few minor bumper accidents. There were at least 13 accidents on the side of the road that had minor bumper accidents. Unfortunately, I eventually became one of them and I had a very minor bumper accident with the car in front of me.

The only thing that seemed damage on the car rental was the front license plate frame, which has a has a small crack on the corner, that is how minor it was. The car in front of me, just had a minor scratch that was barely noticeable, probably just a paint job.

My question is, will Chase still cover the damage, even though I used my Hertz points, and paid the taxes and fees with my Chase card? And will they cover the minor scratch from the other car?

How should I proceed with this? Do I call chase first and then Hertz?
Old Jan 7, 2017, 9:47 am

Not sure about your car in this case, but credit cards generally only provide coverage for the car you rented (even AmEx's premium insurance) - any damage you cause to other cars would fall under either your personal car insurance's liability coverage, or if you bought the liability coverage when you rented (which I always do since I don't own a car so have no liability coverage otherwise)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.