Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

UR to United transfer is not reliably instant.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UR to United transfer is not reliably instant.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2021, 2:49 am

Originally Posted by TravelForum
You've hit the nail on the head.

I've probably transferred points in this exact same fashion (to UA) 10-15 times in my life and all other times it was instant. So, roughly 10% of the time, there may be a delay of a day or two (or more?). Allow time for a 'just in case' moment if you are looking to book a ticket.

Cheers
At what time did you make this last transfer? Was it in the middle of the night? I don't have any data to back this up, but I always try to do my transfers during working hours or at least avoid any transfers after midnight and before 8AM in the east coast. I just think that if either side (Chase or transfer partner) is doing any kind of update the transfer can get stuck. The biggest reason is that if there's any kind of major error where the points disappear without any confirmation of a transfer I can make a call and get someone to help right away rather than be told that I need to wait and call during working hours. I know that sometimes space opens up in the middle of the night and it's hard to take a chance, but at least for large transfers I try to avoid doing them late at night.
mia likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 1:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by halamadrid
At what time did you make this last transfer? Was it in the middle of the night? I don't have any data to back this up, but I always try to do my transfers during working hours or at least avoid any transfers after midnight and before 8AM in the east coast. I just think that if either side (Chase or transfer partner) is doing any kind of update the transfer can get stuck. The biggest reason is that if there's any kind of major error where the points disappear without any confirmation of a transfer I can make a call and get someone to help right away rather than be told that I need to wait and call during working hours. I know that sometimes space opens up in the middle of the night and it's hard to take a chance, but at least for large transfers I try to avoid doing them late at night.

Actually, I did it about 6:30 am CST (6:27 to be precise). For whatever reason, it took right at 2 days.
Old Sep 27, 2021, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by TravelForum
Actually, I did it about 6:30 am CST (6:27 to be precise). For whatever reason, it took right at 2 days.
Yes, that's middle of the night in the west coast so it wouldn't pass my completely made up and not data-based muster . It's just that I've had the United/Chase websites do weird things in the middle of the night so I avoid transfers in the middle of the night. I go with daylight hours in the west coast. I also avoid cancelling award tickets in the middle of the night if I need to use the miles right away for another booking as I've had them get stuck and then having to wait until the next morning to call and get someone that can make them available again for use.
vvv1234 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 6:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by halamadrid
Yes, that's middle of the night in the west coast so it wouldn't pass my completely made up and not data-based muster . It's just that I've had the United/Chase websites do weird things in the middle of the night so I avoid transfers in the middle of the night. I go with daylight hours in the west coast. I also avoid cancelling award tickets in the middle of the night if I need to use the miles right away for another booking as I've had them get stuck and then having to wait until the next morning to call and get someone that can make them available again for use.
Very interesting on the canceling of award tickets. I appreciate that perspective and not something I would have ever considered. If I ever do need to cancel that kind of ticket, I will now do it during normal Pacific Coast Business Hours

Have a superb Tuesday!
Old Oct 15, 2021, 3:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Here we go again with a transfer not being instant .

I thought I would avoid this issue by having each one of us separately transfer from our own UR account to our own UA account. So each of us has 1 transfer and only to self.

Spouse transfers his UR to his UA and it's instant - "Your Point Transfer is in progress!" email and the "Congrats! Point transfer complete!" arrive at the same minute. Books award seat effortlessly.

I (attempt to!) transfer my UR points to my UA. I receive the in progress email. But no transfer complete email and checked UA account multiple times and points are not there (logged in and out a few times too). Super frustrating. Don't know why this happens to me every so often.
Old Oct 19, 2021, 3:29 pm

It seems like I am going to be destined to wait the full 7 days before escalating this. The 96 hour mark has come and gone. I've sent a secure message to Chase and the response was that they've forwarded my message to the relevant department who will respond within 5 business days . In the meantime my points/miles are nowhere to be seen - they've left my UR account last Friday and have yet to show up in my United account. United does not see any indication of the incoming miles and refuses to hold the award for me; but even they would have agreed to hold for 24 hours it wouldn't have helped me anyway since there is no way to know if in 24 hours the miles will in fact be there.

I don't want to do another 60k transfer in the hopes of it being instant because even if it is I will be stuck with 60k points with United that I may have no use for. I know they don't expire but I earn UR and NOT United for their flexibility and don't want to be forced to have 60k extra miles with United because of this transfer delay.

What really irks me is that there is no explanation for this - if a transfer to an airline or hotel program normally takes several days or even a week (like they do when transferring from Marriott) then you set your expectations accordingly. But this type of transfer (UR to UA) is 95% of the time instant so why are there times when they are not instant? What exactly is the reason for this unwarranted delay?
Old Oct 21, 2021, 2:02 pm

Miles finally posted to my United account. I'm impressed they gave them to me a day ahead of the 7 day deadline .
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 11:47 am

transferred 85k miles little more than 24 hours ago.
hoping I'm not going to have to wait 7 business days.
I need to book tix with a departure date 2 weeks away...
Old Mar 27, 2022, 3:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Just tried to transfer 1,000 Chase UR points to United MP, and the transfer has not been instant. The email saying the transfer is in progress came immediately but the miles haven’t made their way to the UA account yet. It will be interesting to see how long this takes. The transfer is for the primary account member’s own UA account.

I will update this post later.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA (PLT) / CO (because I fly non-stop SFO-CDG on Air France) / UA (sometimes)
20 hours and counting… argh!!!

Requested a transfer yesterday at 7pm PT and I still don’t see the points in my United account. It’s been a little over 20 hours…

There are 9 seats left for the award travel I’m trying to book (need 4 seats). I’ll be fine, right? Right???
RNE likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:42 pm

Still waiting...

Requested 3 transfers last night. First 2 went through immediately. 3rd still pending.

Called CSP rep. He told me to wait 5 business days.
I am not optimistic. Likely nothing will happen besides availability might go away for my 3rd itinerary.
Any suggestions?
Old Apr 28, 2022, 12:29 pm

This just happened to me as well. Done about 10 transfers from Chase to United, usually a segment at a time so about 60k max, and had never waited more than a couple of minutes and lost availability.

On 4/23 I initiated a 150k point transfer to book 2 round trips for my honeymoon. When it hadn't shown up in a couple of hours I feared losing availability and called Cardmember Services. They told me there's really nothing they could do until 7 days had passed. I wasn't about to initiate another transfer and get stuck with twice the United points I needed, so I was going to wait the 7 days and cross my fingers my honeymoon wasn't doomed.

On 4/28 (5 days later), the points finally showed up in my United account. Despite ticket availability going to 0 in the last few days and completely freaking out, theres actually more availability now. Got very lucky.

This is absolutely unacceptable given the state of booking award tickets.
SPN Lifer and friedablass like this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by vvv1234
Requested 3 transfers last night. First 2 went through immediately. 3rd still pending.

Called CSP rep. He told me to wait 5 business days.
I am not optimistic. Likely nothing will happen besides availability might go away for my 3rd itinerary.
Any suggestions?
No suggestions but I can certainly commiserate with you. Hope your points posted by now and your awards were still there.

Chase needs to look into this and fix it so that all transfers are instant. This is something that never ever (knock wood) happened to me with Amex to the airlines I transfer to.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2022, 4:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan
A client just transferred 800k to UA from Chase and (3pm Pacific) and they didn't show up instantly. This was a new UA account. Just a data point to show that this issue doesn't appear to be correlated with the time of the transfer.
Old May 18, 2022, 9:28 am

Programs: not anymore! I'm FREE!
Ugh, just ran into non-instantaneous transfer to UA for the first time. 12 hours later and the points still aren't in my account.

Last edited by snic; May 18, 2022 at 9:59 pm Reason: update time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.