Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[Limited Availability] UA MP Explorer- Up to 55K & possible $50 stmt credit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 18, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: StartinSanDiego
[This thread is now archived.
Please continue the discussion here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...rd-2016-a.html

[/B][/SIZE]

============================================

[/b] 50 + 5k offer for personal card. Requires MileagePlus login; redirects to https://www.theexplorercard.com/50kAFW
  • 50k miles after $3000 spend within first 3 months
  • 5k miles for adding an authorized user
  • No annual fee first year
  • No FTF
  • Each calendar year, you are eligible to receive one 10,000-mile bonus after you reach $25,000 in net purchases on your Card.

For discussion of card benefits, see the master thread in the United forum.
My math says a 50K offer. Where do the extra points come from?
The extra 5000 points come from adding an authorized user after you have been approved for the card.
Is there a business card?
Yes, and Flyertalk has a thread devoted to the business card: United business card: 50k+10k united miles
Can I apply for this card and earn the bonus after doing so previously?
See the wiki and related discussion in Applying for Chase Credit Cards- May 2015-Present
Print Wikipost

[Limited Availability] UA MP Explorer- Up to 55K & possible $50 stmt credit

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2012, 7:53 pm

does anyone know when this offer will expire?
Old May 28, 2012, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by Zolomark
does anyone know when this offer will expire?
The offer I finally received via email which is the same minus the $50 statement credit says May 31st.
Old May 29, 2012, 6:12 am

Programs: AA, SPG
On recon, I was approved for the card. They asked why I needed this card after getting the Sapphire Preferred in August and Freedom in February. Talked for a few minutes and they approved me. Looking forward to the card and the $50 credit (free tank of gas).
Old May 29, 2012, 7:52 pm

Happy,
Any idea if I would be eligible for the bonus if I applied and got a Continental OnePass Plus in April of 2011, but held onto it until it was forcibly changed without notice. I cancelled it within 24 hours of getting the notice that my account was changed, but I suppose it was technically changed to an Explorer Card.
Old May 29, 2012, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fragment54
Happy,
Any idea if I would be eligible for the bonus if I applied and got a Continental OnePass Plus in April of 2011, but held onto it until it was forcibly changed without notice. I cancelled it within 24 hours of getting the notice that my account was changed, but I suppose it was technically changed to an Explorer Card.
I had a CO card obtained in Mar 2011 but was canceled in Dec in exchange for a Marriott card. I got the UA card bonus in May.

There are folks reported in this forum that they have had old UA cards, CO cards that converted to UA Explorer cards and they still got the new UA Explorer card bonus. There are a few posts right in this thread just a few days ago. Read and see if that fits your situation. My guess is you would receive the bonus.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 12:16 pm

How to apply for new with old United card?

I applied for this back in Feb, got it & 40K miles, and then was able to SM and request the 5K bonus miles and $50 credit last month (thanks to y'all).

I want my husband to get this card, but he has the old United MileagePlus card. He has called a general 1-800 but sat on hold forever (which to him was probably 20 secs, LOL). So I logged into his Chase account and sent an SM asking how he could go about applying for this card, and getting the 60K bonus and statement credit. I attached a screenshot (again, thanks to y'all!).

Here's the response we got:

"We?re writing in response to your recent question about
your United MileagePlus� credit card account.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to receive the bonus
miles since you received a similar offer in the past. Here
is additional information to help explain the enrollment
bonus:

? The terms and conditions associated with the credit card
indicate that the one-time offer is only for first-time
United MileagePlus cardmembers with a new account.
? Since you received Variable bonus miles on Variable
month/year on your previous account ending in Variable,
you are not considered a first time cardmember.
? Based on this information, this new account is not able
to receive the enrollment bonus miles.

If you have any questions, please call us at the number on
the back of your card. We?re here to assist you anytime.

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center."

Just curious if we should just call the recon line outright or if there's some other way around it. DH got his card in 04, so I can't believe they're still considering that "a similar offer". I particularly like how they were so detailed oriented with the "Variable", like they couldn't even be bothered to insert the accurate data...

TIA
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HH Gold, AA Lifetime Gold, United Silver, BA Gold
I did not get the Bonus

Me and my wife applied for a card on 20th May 2012. Mine went for additional review and was later approved after I called their phone number. We both received our cards on 29th May 2012 and I changed my Statement Closing date to 1st June 2012. We made purchases on both cards before closing and both the cards had amounts when the statements closed. But, when reviewing the statements, I do not see the Bonus miles on either of our statements. Any idea why? We both had applied for the 65K offer and was hoping to get 55K in each of our accounts. Should I call Chase and ask? While activating the card I was told it will take 6-8 weeks to post the miles, but I thought Bonus miles always posted immediately.
Old Jun 3, 2012, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blueflamingo
I applied for this back in Feb, got it & 40K miles, and then was able to SM and request the 5K bonus miles and $50 credit last month (thanks to y'all).

I want my husband to get this card, but he has the old United MileagePlus card. He has called a general 1-800 but sat on hold forever (which to him was probably 20 secs, LOL). So I logged into his Chase account and sent an SM asking how he could go about applying for this card, and getting the 60K bonus and statement credit. I attached a screenshot (again, thanks to y'all!).

Here's the response we got:

"We?re writing in response to your recent question about
your United MileagePlus� credit card account.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to receive the bonus
miles since you received a similar offer in the past. Here
is additional information to help explain the enrollment
bonus:

? The terms and conditions associated with the credit card
indicate that the one-time offer is only for first-time
United MileagePlus cardmembers with a new account.
? Since you received Variable bonus miles on Variable
month/year on your previous account ending in Variable,
you are not considered a first time cardmember.
? Based on this information, this new account is not able
to receive the enrollment bonus miles.

If you have any questions, please call us at the number on
the back of your card. We?re here to assist you anytime.

If you have any further questions, please reply using the
Secure Message Center."

Just curious if we should just call the recon line outright or if there's some other way around it. DH got his card in 04, so I can't believe they're still considering that "a similar offer". I particularly like how they were so detailed oriented with the "Variable", like they couldn't even be bothered to insert the accurate data...

TIA
Why dont you follow the steps that have mentioned so many times in this thread and simply applied thru the online link which if you dont see it in your husband's account, follow the steps and make it show up then apply?

Re-read the thread and do exactly what others have successfully done instead of re-inventing the wheel - that gets you no where.

Originally Posted by spsawant
Me and my wife applied for a card on 20th May 2012. Mine went for additional review and was later approved after I called their phone number. We both received our cards on 29th May 2012 and I changed my Statement Closing date to 1st June 2012. We made purchases on both cards before closing and both the cards had amounts when the statements closed. But, when reviewing the statements, I do not see the Bonus miles on either of our statements. Any idea why? We both had applied for the 65K offer and was hoping to get 55K in each of our accounts. Should I call Chase and ask? While activating the card I was told it will take 6-8 weeks to post the miles, but I thought Bonus miles always posted immediately.
No. Bonus does not post immediately. Bonus posts after statement close IF your eligible charge is made at least a week or 10 days BEFORE the statement closes. Based on your time line, your purchase probably is made no more than a few days before your statement closed - it did not catch the scheduled batch processing for your statement cycle - the processing is always a few days before the closing date.

Your bonus will post in NEXT statement. (Had you not fiddled with your statement closing dates, assuming the original closing date was sometime more into June, you may see the bonus posted on your 1st statement, now it would be on the NEXT.)
Old Jun 4, 2012, 3:47 am

can the two lounge passes included with the card be used at other star alliance lounges? I'm going to be in Thailand, and Germany later this year and it would be nice to use some lounge passes.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 6:33 am

How long have people been waiting for the bonus to post? Its been a few weeks since my initial purchase and I haven't received any miles, passes or $50 credit....
Old Jun 4, 2012, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by utl567
How long have people been waiting for the bonus to post? Its been a few weeks since my initial purchase and I haven't received any miles, passes or $50 credit....
Miles and credit come with the first statement. As far as passes, I believe they come after you renew the card for the second year.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:41 pm

Umm, did that, thanks.

Yep, read through this ENTIRE thread and followed others' advice and instructions (tried different browsers, cleared cookies, etc). When I'm logged into my husband's MP account and click on the link, it just takes me to the main UA shopping page - like it knows he has an MP card already (it's the original UA MP card, not a CO one that was converted). I close that page, click on the link from Post #6... and it takes me back to the catalog page.

When I'm logged into my MP account and click on the link, it takes me to the main UA shopping page. I close that page, click on the link from Post #6... and it takes me back to the catalog page (I have the new Explorer card).

When I log into my 3 year old's MP account (with 3K miles in it) and click on the link, it takes me to the application page. I’m certainly not going to apply for a credit card in his name, but I thought perhaps I could use the link for my husband – but the name and other identifying details are already filled in.

I was hoping someone with actual experience of successfully applying for the new card after having a current, open UA MP card could be a little more helpful, a little less condescending.

The offer is still valid, as I'm able to access it from my toddler's account.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:50 pm

Hmm, just had a thought.

So I AM able to access the 40K offer through Chase when logged into DH's current UA MP credit card account. Perhaps I/he should apply for that one and then ask for the bump...
Old Jun 4, 2012, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by blueflamingo
Yep, read through this ENTIRE thread and followed others' advice and instructions (tried different browsers, cleared cookies, etc). When I'm logged into my husband's MP account and click on the link, it just takes me to the main UA shopping page - like it knows he has an MP card already (it's the original UA MP card, not a CO one that was converted). I close that page, click on the link from Post #6... and it takes me back to the catalog page.

When I'm logged into my MP account and click on the link, it takes me to the main UA shopping page. I close that page, click on the link from Post #6... and it takes me back to the catalog page (I have the new Explorer card).

When I log into my 3 year old's MP account (with 3K miles in it) and click on the link, it takes me to the application page. I’m certainly not going to apply for a credit card in his name, but I thought perhaps I could use the link for my husband – but the name and other identifying details are already filled in.

I was hoping someone with actual experience of successfully applying for the new card after having a current, open UA MP card could be a little more helpful, a little less condescending.

The offer is still valid, as I'm able to access it from my toddler's account.
The system knows that you have an MP card, and therefore does not take you to the application page. Only if you don't have an MP card you get to see the offer page. Your MP account is flagged with that information; that's how United knows if you're eligible to receive the MP card benefits when you fly with them. I guess they use the same information to control the page flow.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 1:21 pm

Thanks Daggett - I just wonder how folks who said they currently have the old UA card got this offer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.