Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:27 pm

Warning!

I just earned my CP and the WN stated that the new rule is that CPs only apply for the next calendar year NOT for the remainder of the year in which it was earned (ex - CP earned 04/01/12 only counts for 01/01/13-12/31/13).

After a few long calls I received a special exception, however, I want all to be warned.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by onlybeef42
Warning!

I just earned my CP and the WN stated that the new rule is that CPs only apply for the next calendar year NOT for the remainder of the year in which it was earned (ex - CP earned 04/01/12 only counts for 01/01/13-12/31/13).

After a few long calls I received a special exception, however, I want all to be warned.
I know we were just in the SWA thread, but did they give you a date on this "new" rule? Others that have posted here did not seem to have a problem. As you stated in the other thread though, you spoke to multiple CSRs so this is beyond a little concerning.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:38 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite; Hyatt Platinum; SPG Preferred+; Club Carlson Gold; SW CP
Warning!

Their website still explicitly states it is good for remainder of year earned. I would fight it tooth and nail if they pulled that stunt on me. I already have my CP though. Earned it mid-March. Didn't have any issues getting it for this year. Actually used it a couple times already, without a problem.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by meecal
Their website still explicitly states it is good for remainder of year earned. I would fight it tooth and nail if they pulled that stunt on me. I already have my CP though. Earned it mid-March. Didn't have any issues getting it for this year. Actually used it a couple times already, without a problem.
I think I'm double posting and I am not sure what the rule is. I am going to put the info from the WN thread here too.

Both!! I even played CS roulette.

Companion Pass qualification will be based on a calendar year. A Companion Pass Member will maintain his/her Companion Pass for the remainder of the calendar year in which status is earned, and the entire calendar year immediately following. To continue their Companion Pass privileges, Members must re-qualify each year. (For example, a Member who earns a Companion Pass on July 15, 2011 will maintain the Companion Pass for the remainder of 2011 and all of 2012. Beginning January 1, 2012, the Member must complete 100 qualifying one-way flights or accrue 110,000 Qualifying Points by December 31, 2012, and upon doing so, the Companion Pass will be extended to December 31, 2013.)

They claim that though the bold is unclear it somehow means that you can earn a CP today but cannot use it until 01/01/13. I am still on hold but this is crazy!
I know. That is why I was so amazed.

The first 1-800 CS said sorry no CP for 2012. The second tried to make it work and her manager did too. They sent me to the Dallas line. The Dallas agent they said that I was quoting a special 2011 only which was do to the RR1 to RR2 a switch which changed the rolling year qualification to a calendar year.

I begged and pleaded and they made a "special exception" for me which took about 45 minutes. Maybe something switched due to the end of Q1.

I just wanted to let everyone know my experience, and the possible policy change.

PS - Moderators please let me know if I am violating a rule and which thread I should use. Thanks.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:10 pm

Tell me if this makes sense - Since you are only allowed to take advantage of a Chase sign up offer once, is it best for a husband and wife to NOT each apply for the Chase personal and / or business SW credit card at the same time? Because of the free companion pass option after 110K, I would think the best strategy would be to have the husband apply for both cards, timing it to have the CP bonus kick in early in the year - it would then be valid through the end of the following year. After two years when his CP terminates, then have the wife apply for both cards, earn her CP bonus, resulting in another two years of CP. Is there any reason why it would make sense for both to apply for and get the 4 cards at the same time?
Old Apr 2, 2012, 11:41 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by ZontarTheThingFromVenus
Tell me if this makes sense - Since you are only allowed to take advantage of a Chase sign up offer once, is it best for a husband and wife to NOT each apply for the Chase personal and / or business SW credit card at the same time? Because of the free companion pass option after 110K, I would think the best strategy would be to have the husband apply for both cards, timing it to have the CP bonus kick in early in the year - it would then be valid through the end of the following year. After two years when his CP terminates, then have the wife apply for both cards, earn her CP bonus, resulting in another two years of CP. Is there any reason why it would make sense for both to apply for and get the 4 cards at the same time?
Right way to think, but would only work IF same offers or better are around 2 years later.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:24 am

Originally Posted by booyaa
Right way to think, but would only work IF same offers or better are around 2 years later.
I agree. That is what makes sense, but tread carefully. the T&Cs say the 50k bonus should not count for CP. It has counted thus far, but they can stop counting it at any time.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 7:31 am

Who says once only? My wife and I have received four 50,000 SWA/Chase bonus in the past 6-7 months.
Old Apr 3, 2012, 11:41 am

Interestingly I just received a qualification email regarding my CP.

Maybe all the issues yesterday were from me getting a little too excited and trying to use the CP before the computer knew about it.

EDIT - I just noticed the CP is only earned through 12/30/12 which makes no sense.

Last edited by onlybeef42; Apr 3, 2012 at 11:57 am
Old Apr 3, 2012, 1:50 pm

I got a Premier personal last year, and just got a Plus Business as part of my churn (along with the MileagePlus Explorer, also from Chase). I was planning to wait 90 days for my next churn...but I also really want to get a CP.

Thoughts on odds of the 50K still being around in three months? Or should I try it anyway, despite having five recent successful card applications in March (on the same day)?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
50K offer dead?

I've checked all my old links and the 50K offers are dead. Does anyone have an active link?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
I've checked all my old links and the 50K offers are dead. Does anyone have an active link?
Which link(s) do you need?
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by longhorn11
he wants a link to the SWA card w/50k signup bonus
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:42 pm

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by longhorn11
Originally Posted by Slybone
I think longhorn11 meant Plus or Premier, Personal or Business....
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Slybone
Given that this is in the SWA 50k thread, that's what I figured.

Originally Posted by booyaa
I think longhorn11 meant Plus or Premier, Personal or Business....
Thanks. After Chase shutting down links that were posted earlier, I'd rather just post the one philemer needs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.