Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2012, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Mommy Points
You can transfer Freedom points to Southwest's Rapid Rewards only if you also have a card that earns Ultimate Rewards (Chase Sapphire Preferred or Chase Ink Bold). You can't go from Rapid Rewards to Chase - it's a one-way street. Also, I can confirm that Ultimate Reward points transferred to Rapid Rewards do not count as Companion Pass qualifying points. I tried it myself yesterday. Hope that helps!
It appears that Marriott >> Southwest would count toward companion pass credit according to several posts. Marriott is also a Chase Ultimate Rewards (UR) partner at 1:3 ratio. So presumably you could do the following:

30,000 UR >> 30,000 Marriott >> 10,000 Southwest

And that would count toward the companion pass? (Any opinions on this?)

Although I value 30,000 UR pretty high, so I'm not sure this is really worth it unless you are just flush with ultimate reward points.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by AUSMatt
It appears that Marriott >> Southwest would count toward companion pass credit according to several posts. Marriott is also a Chase Ultimate Rewards (UR) partner at 1:3 ratio. So presumably you could do the following:

30,000 UR >> 30,000 Marriott >> 10,000 Southwest

And that would count toward the companion pass? (Any opinions on this?)

Although I value 30,000 UR pretty high, so I'm not sure this is really worth it unless you are just flush with ultimate reward points.
I did it with Hyatt: 20k UR - hyatt - 9600 companion pass points, made the other 400 with CC spend. Got the pass last month, good thru dec 2013.
Old Mar 4, 2012, 2:27 pm

Programs: A bunch
got our companion pass today.

-Statement end date was Friday.

-Points were in RR account on Saturday Morning. Reached 100% CP but pass was not active.

-Sunday was able to activate the pass. Booked 2 trips (4 seats total) with 110,000 worth of points. Have tons of points to use yet.

This is awesome
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:31 am

Southwest c/p final 10K

Better to convert choice or marriott points for final 10K. (or any other ideas)
Old Mar 5, 2012, 11:37 am

Programs: A bunch
Originally Posted by rrez
Better to convert choice or marriott points for final 10K. (or any other ideas)
I think this may help you with all your options

http://millionmilesecrets.com/2012/0...est-companion/

I used Marriott points.
Old Mar 5, 2012, 10:32 pm

Red face

I bought 30K marriott points last night, but those points still haven't been credited to my marriott account. So, I can't transfer them to Southwest yet. Wondering if it took that long for anyone who bought them earlier?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Macken7
Well I would like to use the Companion Pass this coming June. I need to transfer points from my Marriott account to make this work. How long would it likely take for the Marriott points to be in my Southwest account? The Marriott site does mention six weeks.
I had the same positive experience as Stoutman11 with my Marriott account points posting to my Southwest account in 3 days.

Waiting for Chase to pass along my 2nd 50K as first purchase was 2/28 and early partial payment on 3/05 with a payment due date of 4/09.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 10:45 pm

can someone post the business card link please?

I applied for a SW card 6 months ago but I'm not sure which one. Its personal and has the Blue and red airplane picture on it + says southwest.com rapid rewards on the top right corner. Is that permier or plus? Can I still get the other one?
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:08 pm

How long is the companion pass good for? Only till the end of 2012 or one calendar year from when you get it? Also can you change the "companion" from time to time or does it have to be one person?

Cheers!
Old Mar 12, 2012, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA, AC, AGR, AS, BA, CX, DL, UA, WN, all non-elite
Originally Posted by loverofpeace
How long is the companion pass good for? Only till the end of 2012 or one calendar year from when you get it? Also can you change the "companion" from time to time or does it have to be one person?

Cheers!
Companion pass is good for the remainder of the calendar year in which it was earned plus the duration of the next calendar year. Thus, if you earned a companion pass today, it would be good until Dec 31, 2013.

You can change your companion 3 times.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by via amtrak
Companion pass is good for the remainder of the calendar year in which it was earned plus the duration of the next calendar year. Thus, if you earned a companion pass today, it would be good until Dec 31, 2013.

You can change your companion 3 times.
That sounds like a great deal, thanks for your response!
Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:34 pm

I received my points but it shows nothing towards the CP. Am I missing something? It seems everyones bonus points are qualifying, but mine are not. I called customer service and was told that bonus points earned during a sign up promotion do not count towards the CP. How did you guys get yours to?

EDIT: Found this on the website saying what I was told on the phone. So is everyone just getting really lucky that they are counting towards the CP?

"Companion Pass Qualifying Points are earned from revenue flights, points issued on Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Credit Cards, and points earned from Rapid Rewards Partners. Purchased points and points earned from program enrollment, Tier bonuses, flight bonuses, and Partner bonuses do not count toward Companion Pass status."

Last edited by Draino3112; Mar 13, 2012 at 2:44 pm
Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by Draino3112
I received my points but it shows nothing towards the CP. Am I missing something? It seems everyones bonus points are qualifying, but mine are not. I called customer service and was told that bonus points earned during a sign up promotion do not count towards the CP. How did you guys get yours to?
Are you sure you aren't looking at A-List?
Also, what year did the points post to your account? 2011 or 2012?

Last edited by Moorea; Mar 13, 2012 at 2:57 pm
Old Mar 13, 2012, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Draino3112
The points are already in your SWA RR account and it is still showing nothing on the companion pass indicator box?
Old Mar 13, 2012, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by longhorn11
The points are already in your SWA RR account and it is still showing nothing on the companion pass indicator box?
Yep. I made sure i wasn't looking at the A-List. I have about 56k points in the account right now. This is what I see.

http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m...112/photo4.jpg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.