Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2011, 1:02 am
Original Poster

See post #850 for links current as of 7/16/12.

I got a letter from Southwest saying that I'm pre-approved for their Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card:

-50,000 points after first purchase (= $833 of Wanna Get Away Fares or $500 of Anytime Fares)
-6,000 anniversary points every year
-$99 annual fee

Is this a good offer?

I missed out on the BA 100k and CO 50k offers. I would love to do the Ink 80k offer, but I have not been targeted. Should I sign up for this one or wait until the next big Chase offer?

Last edited by philemer; Jul 16, 2012 at 9:27 pm Reason: added link 7/16
Old Jun 14, 2011, 3:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Originally Posted by rockandrepublic
I got a letter from Southwest saying that I'm pre-approved for their Rapid Rewards Premier Credit Card:

-50,000 points after first purchase (= $833 of Wanna Get Away Fares or $500 of Anytime Fares)
-$99 annual fee

Is this a good offer?

?
Sounds pretty good to me - not the greatest, but if you use WN, I would do it. I guess this was targeted, but when I return home will check my mail.

Anyone: Is there a way to get this deal on line or phone call if you do not get a letter??
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:11 am

Do you have a promo code for this offer? I recently signed up for a southwest card but only received 20,000 miles. I'm hoping I can get them to up the bonus.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:38 am

Oh, how I wish I could have this offer. WN is our favourite airline, but the cc is not available to Canadians.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:43 am

Programs: AS, AA Gold, and Hilton
Originally Posted by SAPMAN
Sounds pretty good to me - not the greatest, but if you use WN, I would do it. I guess this was targeted, but when I return home will check my mail.

Anyone: Is there a way to get this deal on line or phone call if you do not get a letter??
This may be the first one I would be interested since Cap1. If anyone has a link please post. Thanks
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:13 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I believe the 50k points count toward companion pass qualification, which requires 110k points in a calendar year. If you can spend $60k fast (or $30k on southwest.com) you would get a companion pass good through December 2012.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: SPG Plat, WN CP, Many Others
Originally Posted by rockandrepublic

-$99 annual fee

Is this a good offer?

I missed out on the BA 100k and CO 50k offers. I would love to do the Ink 80k offer, but I have not been targeted. Should I sign up for this one or wait until the next big Chase offer?
Its the best offer for this card I have seen. The normal offer on the SW site is 30,000pts. For those wondering about getting chase to match the offer you might look in the CO 50k offer thread (offer expired now) but many people said they secure messaged chase online asking the extra miles since some applied for another offer with less miles. Many people had success getting the difference is points from the offer. Good Luck
Old Jun 14, 2011, 9:47 am

I have the non-premier card so I doubt I will/can get in on this (if it comes to the masses). However my wife doesn't so I hope we either get the offer or someone posts a link or code and is successful.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 10:22 am

Congrats on your first post, rockandrepublic. It's an excellent one.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
This is a great deal. Even more so if you fly southwest regularly. I have the old SWA card where I got a signup bonus under the old RR 1.0 system, hoping maybe some similar offer will come my way - it's unclear whether Chase would give points to a cardholder with a SWA different card. I also noticed there is a premier plus SWA business card, so people might want to look out for a better offer from that one.

On top of $833 in SWA credit (and Wanna get away rates are available pretty readily before 7 days out and sometimes even last minute, but not the day of travel), regular southwest customers will benefit from the 6k yearly points which offset the $99 annual fee. Because it's essentially free, the card is a good one to keep indefinitely to get your average account history age up for the old credit score. The earn rate also comes to 1.67 cents per dollar spent - not too bad if you plan to fly southwest enough to use the points for the wanna get away rates.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 2:09 pm

Programs: Lotz
It Will Get Better

WN usually has the top Chase bonus offers for both personal and biz. Just before they switched rr programs they had offers of 2 roundtrip coupons, or 1 roundtrip coupon plus $500 WN gift cards with no fee first year. Some of us actually got the $500 plus 2 RT coupons plus WN miles. (On personal, biz was a little more careful).

50K points may buy 2 $420 RT's coast to coast if the fares go that low. That's unlikely. 50K rr points just will not buy 2 bi-coastal rt's and WN will have to up the offer for their bonus to be competitive. And they should waive the fee first year. They are usually very competitive with this card.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 4:16 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Silver / DividendMiles Silver
Originally Posted by tassojunior
WN usually has the top Chase bonus offers for both personal and biz. Just before they switched rr programs they had offers of 2 roundtrip coupons, or 1 roundtrip coupon plus $500 WN gift cards with no fee first year. Some of us actually got the $500 plus 2 RT coupons plus WN miles. (On personal, biz was a little more careful).

50K points may buy 2 $420 RT's coast to coast if the fares go that low. That's unlikely. 50K rr points just will not buy 2 bi-coastal rt's and WN will have to up the offer for their bonus to be competitive. And they should waive the fee first year. They are usually very competitive with this card.
I'm curious based on your math how many miles would be a solid offer from them... 75K?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 4:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erichpowell
Do you have a promo code for this offer? I recently signed up for a southwest card but only received 20,000 miles. I'm hoping I can get them to up the bonus.
Offer Code: N4K

The letter instructs you to go to RapidRewardsCard.com where you are asked for your Invitation Number, Zip Code, and Last Name.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 8:07 pm

I've been waiting for them to step it up. The first offers for the RR 2.0 card were pretty weak. And the good RR 1.0 cards did start as targetted / Ding (only time I ever got something from Ding.. and then they made the public offer even better) and eventually got pretty good. I think this one isn't quite as good as the $500 GC's + 1.0 RT, so hopefully a better one will go public soon.
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:28 am

About two weeks ago I received an offer for the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Plus Card for 30,000 points and a $69 annual fee (usually it's 20k) so I signed up, since it was the same as the Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Card which is 30k points and $99 annual fee, so just a lower fee/same points. Don't are about the anniversary points/etc as I will cancel before the 2nd year. So I signed up for it since I hadn't seen any good offer since they switched to RR2.0 and was approved.

Yesterday, I received an offer for the b]Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards Premier Card[/b] for 50k points and a $99 annual fee (same as the first post in this thread)

So I emailed Chase asking them since I JUST applied, have not even received or activated my card, if they would honor the 50k and they will. I don't know if anyone applies for the standard offers if they would give you the 50k, but ..figured I'd post..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.