Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 3:48 pm

wrong forum

Originally Posted by trk1987
I was reading that with the credit card you can book international travel on other airlines but the conversion rate isn't too favorable ... does anyone know how this is done?
Go to the southwest forum to find out that SW does fly international via airtran.....this thread is about the credit card, not SW route map.

applied for both cards in Dec., waited til Jan to make first purchases, transferred Choice rewards points for additional 10k, called and specified wife as companion, got CP in mail last week.

2012/13 SW will be my favorite airline.....cant wait to start flying them.

If you qualify for both cards, get them!!! the CP value virtually doubles the 100k you get for signup....well worth the annual fee!!
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by wise2u
Go to the southwest forum to find out that SW does fly international via airtran.....this thread is about the credit card, not SW route map.

applied for both cards in Dec., waited til Jan to make first purchases, transferred Choice rewards points for additional 10k, called and specified wife as companion, got CP in mail last week.

2012/13 SW will be my favorite airline.....cant wait to start flying them.

If you qualify for both cards, get them!!! the CP value virtually doubles the 100k you get for signup....well worth the annual fee!!
It is about the credit card because you need the card to book international travel ... and you can book on more airlines than just Airtran. Thanks for the tip tho

https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewar...m-more-rewards
Old Feb 7, 2012, 4:03 pm

sorry wrong quote

Originally Posted by Kelseykline00
Okay, so I'm new to all of this and I just wanted to clear up a couple of things. If you sign up for both the personal and business rapid rewards cards, you'll be able to use the 100k together, correct? Also, how do you know what international flights are available? I can't seem to find any specific details about that on the SW website.
this is the guy I was trying to refer to the sw airlines thread.

TRK1987 you are correct, if you have the credit card you can use your points for international flights on most all carriers, car rentals, vacations, hotels, ect ect....like you said conversion is unfairly high...I plugged in ATL-PVR for an example and they wanted 75-85k for RT flights on DL and AA.
For SW it is best to stick with only the Airtran destinations...(currently Mexico and Carribbean islands, but expanding)
The best use is "Wanna Get Away" fares that use 6000 points for $100 conversion.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: A bunch
Originally Posted by facula
If she is willing to talk to them long enough for identity verification, she can give them permission to talk to you for the rest of the call. You can even call and just hand over the phone for a minute when they ask. I did this a couple of weeks ago with a Chase application and it was fine.
yeah, called the line last night. All went well, wife was verified and approved i did all the talking except the verification. Nice guy on the phone that i spoke with. Both cards approved. He said the business one was declined because of 2 apps on the same day but after a few simple questions and some hold time all was well. The personal card was approved pending some verification he said but it looked fine he said. Was impressed by his service.

Worked out well i think!^
Old Feb 8, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
Originally Posted by Stoutman11
yeah, called the line last night. All went well, wife was verified and approved i did all the talking except the verification. Nice guy on the phone that i spoke with. Both cards approved. He said the business one was declined because of 2 apps on the same day but after a few simple questions and some hold time all was well. The personal card was approved pending some verification he said but it looked fine he said. Was impressed by his service.

Worked out well i think!^
Doesn't sound like it but did they happen to grill you on your wife's "business" Is it a new one or one you've had for awhile?
I tried setting my wife up with a business card and had a pretty good question and answer session about the business. In the end she/we were turned down because the business was to new.
Guess I'll try again in 6 months.
Old Feb 8, 2012, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by pkerr
Doesn't sound like it but did they happen to grill you on your wife's "business" Is it a new one or one you've had for awhile?
I tried setting my wife up with a business card and had a pretty good question and answer session about the business. In the end she/we were turned down because the business was to new.
Guess I'll try again in 6 months.
Well she doesnt have an actual business that she owns so we were just truthful. I learned from Darius over at million mile secrets you can just say you want the card for reimburseable business expenses for your employer which is what I told him and is true.

He said that was a perfectly fine reason for the card and I got a sense he wanted to get this approved and again I cannot stress how pleasant the guy was! I wasnt prepared for that
Old Feb 8, 2012, 8:51 pm

Offer back on Southwest.com website for the Premier Card

Just noticed today that they 50,000 points offer is back on the front page at southwest.com for the Premier card. Still though, I decided to go for the lower annual fee of the Plus card with the 50,000 points. Be sure to use the links in this thread, since the Plus card offer on their site is for the lower 25,000 offering.

Applied yesterday for the Personal Plus card for me and my wife. Got the pending response, but after calling the application status number today, found out that we were both approved. So today I applies for the business Plus card for both of us, and plan to have to make a call in for the final approval / Q and A later. Nice to see that I can just have my wife verify her identity and then hand the phone over to me. Like another poster said, she just doesn't like playing this game the rest of us are hooked on.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by haslipe
Like another poster said, she just doesn't like playing this game the rest of us are hooked on.
Mr.45632 was the same way..until I saved us over $4k on our honeymoon..and then at least another $3,200 on these cards. Who's laughing now
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
card worth churning? It would be my third Chase card, last applied for a chase card in july. Would be using the points to get $500 in gift cards....
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by Stoutman11
Well she doesnt have an actual business that she owns so we were just truthful. I learned from Darius over at million mile secrets you can just say you want the card for reimburseable business expenses for your employer which is what I told him and is true.

He said that was a perfectly fine reason for the card and I got a sense he wanted to get this approved and again I cannot stress how pleasant the guy was! I wasnt prepared for that
So, do you just put down your personal account info for "Average Business Checking Account Balance YTD"? I'd rather not go through the same gauntlet of questions when I apply for my wife's card.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 5:45 am

Originally Posted by haslipe
So, do you just put down your personal account info for "Average Business Checking Account Balance YTD"? I'd rather not go through the same gauntlet of questions when I apply for my wife's card.
Hi, i dont know the exact anwser to that but i would say why not?
You still may get the pending review response regardless. My wife had a over 780 score and 1 inquiry in last several months and didnt get auto approval so cross your fingers before u hit submit!

Side note- i called the card services line last night to just confirm the personal card was approved as the rep that approved my wifes business card said it looked good its pending approval. Well when i called last night i was very suprised to hear it was declined! For too many inquiries!?! Well 2 on the same day i was told will be auto declined unless u get an instant approval online.
Anyhow i asked her to help get the personal approved and once again she confirmed some info 1-2 of holding and presto !approved! Glad i called back because i had just assumed the personal was approved by what the first guy told me.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by ianturner
card worth churning? It would be my third Chase card, last applied for a chase card in july. Would be using the points to get $500 in gift cards....

Why would you use this card for churning gift cards? First the annual fee isn't waived, so that takes away from your bonus.

Chase only allows 1 bonus per card, so even if you don't fly a lot currently, you could save it for later.

When applying for both the personal and business you get almost enough points to qualify for the companion pass, which makes 110,000 points worth close to $4000. *

50,000 points has over $1500 in possible value. You're giving that up for ~$400 in gift cards. (when you subract the annual fee.)

For example I was just approved for both the business and personal card. I will now have 100,000 points. I'm going to put $10,000 spend on the card (Amazon, Utilities, Paypal if I must) Then I will qualify for the companion pass, and I will be able to redeem my points for around $4000 in airfare. It's a good enough deal that I did this offer even though the closest Southwest airport is an hour away!

Last edited by startbyservingothers; Feb 11, 2012 at 9:03 am
Old Feb 11, 2012, 9:14 am

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by startbyservingothers
Why would you use this card for churning gift cards? First the annual fee isn't waived, so that takes away from your bonus.

Chase only allows 1 bonus per card, so even if you don't fly a lot currently, you could save it for later.

When applying for both the personal and business you get almost enough points to qualify for the companion pass, which makes 110,000 points worth close to $4000. *

50,000 points has over $1500 in possible value. You're giving that up for ~$400 in gift cards. (when you subract the annual fee.)

For example I was just approved for both the business and personal card. I will now have 100,000 points. I'm going to put $10,000 spend on the card (Amazon, Utilities, Paypal if I must) Then I will qualify for the companion pass, and I will be able to redeem my points for around $4000 in airfare. It's a good enough deal that I did this offer even though the closest Southwest airport is an hour away!
Exactly.

BTW...anyone have problems for applying for both the premier and the plus cards? I applied for the plus card back in December and got the 50000 points, and 2 days ago applied for the premier card and got the "pending review" status on the application. Advice?
Old Feb 11, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by startbyservingothers

I do fly a lot, just on Delta, now WN..thanks for breaking the numbers down though, makes it look like not a good idea
Old Feb 11, 2012, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Avis Chairman
Got my CP card in the mail today! Yay!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.