Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Chase | Ultimate Rewards
Reload this Page >

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 17, 2013, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
This thread is now archived. For later discussion, see the threads starting at May 2015 (now also closed) and January 2017 (current, with updated wiki).
Print Wikipost

Applying for Chase Credit Cards- Archived 2008-5/2015

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Got SW personal and biz last October. Achieved companion pass. Use these cards only intermittently. Also have Freedom, Amazon, and now Ink. Want to cancel both SW to avoid AF. Advice? I'm assuming nothing will happen to my SW points if I cancel those two cards but wondering if there's any other downside. Not worried about value of credit line.
Old Nov 5, 2014, 1:34 pm

Should I close Chase Sapphire before applying for 2 SWA cards?

I want to apply for the Chase SWA personal and business cards by next week. I currently have 4 Chase cards, the Ink (applied 2 mo ago) and 3 personal cards. of the three personal cards, I want to get rid of the Sapphire because I don't use it. I originally got the CSP 2.5 yrs ago and downgraded it to no-fee card a couple months ago. At this point, I'm worried that having too many Chase cards will make it hard to be approved for the 2 SWA cards, which is why I want to close one.

I see myself as having 2 options. I can close Sapphire today and then apply for SWA. However, I heard somewhere that the credit line from a closed card doesn't free up for a couple months after closure. If this is true, I don't think closing the card will help.

The 2nd option is to keep the sapphire and apply for the SWA cards. I'll prob have to call reconciliation line, and if need be, I can close sapphire then or move CL over.

What's the right move here?
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:03 pm

Anyone know what current wait times to reapply after a denial are for Chase cards?

history:
applied marriott visa personal on 8/4/14. Approved
applied chase ink plus on 10/4/14. Denied rep said due to having ink bold 6 months ago and cancelling that one.

(i rushed ink plus to try to get the increased bonus of 70k points during the limited time offer. I usually wait at least 90 days before reapplying for chase cards).

Being that last successful app was > 90 days and most recent denial was > 30 days is it cool to reapply, or do i need to wait 90 days from denial?

Thanks

Last edited by longleaf; Nov 5, 2014 at 8:10 pm
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Got SW personal and biz last October. Achieved companion pass. Use these cards only intermittently. Also have Freedom, Amazon, and now Ink. Want to cancel both SW to avoid AF. Advice? I'm assuming nothing will happen to my SW points if I cancel those two cards but wondering if there's any other downside. Not worried about value of credit line.
Nothing adverse will happen. Some would say piggyback a new app on this and use it to improve odds with a CL transfer/Closure should you need a recon. But, if you have no such plans, go ahead and cancel. Your RR points will remain intact.

Also, keep this in mind from the SW card wiki:

"4. Can I cancel the card and still collect the anniversary bonus?
Yes. Reasonable people disagree on whether this crosses the line of exploiting the card issuer. The anniversary bonus is described a reward for having been a cardmember for the past year, not as a reward for paying the next year's annual fee. Based on that description, the bonus has been earned even if you then cancel the card. As a practical matter, there is a window of only a couple weeks to accomplish this. The bonus points will post on the billing date of the statement containing your new annual fee, which will have posted earlier in the billing cycle. You have 30 days from posting of the annual fee to cancel the card and have the new fee refunded."

Also, never hurts to see about retention offers as well!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 8:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold
I would say you apply for the cards and see how it goes. If approved, move over and do whatever to CSP. If you have to call the recon line, let them know that you are willing to give up CSP and transfer the available credit if needed.
When I applied my 2nd Ink Card that is what I did, cancelled the SWA Biz card and moved the limit over to the new Ink. ATB!!!
Old Nov 5, 2014, 10:02 pm

same problem here. i have 4 chase cards, just cancel my BA card. Now SW has 50000 points plus I am target with United Club card with first year fee waived, i dont know what to do now. all personal card, total credit line is30k
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Jpr0930
Yes. Reasonable people disagree on whether this crosses the line of exploiting the card issuer. The anniversary bonus is described a reward for having been a cardmember for the past year, not as a reward for paying the next year's annual fee. Based on that description, the bonus has been earned even if you then cancel the card. As a practical matter, there is a window of only a couple weeks to accomplish this. The bonus points will post on the billing date of the statement containing your new annual fee, which will have posted earlier in the billing cycle. You have 30 days from posting of the annual fee to cancel the card and have the new fee refunded."

^ Thank you so much !

I read several hundred FT threads a day, but there are still a few thousand I've yet to discover. And that is one of the later. I had no idea I could get the bonus, and still legitimately cancel. Since I have 2 of those cards, which I use lightly to stay on Chase's good side, but plan to cancel when the AF hits, knowing that really helps. Otherwise, I would have canceled them both at around 11+ months.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 11:12 am

Do MBMs still not work for chase? I just got the Ink Plus and once I meet the minimum spend I'd like to do a 3BM with the BA, UA, and CSP. From what I read in this thread I'll most likely get denied for 2/3 if not all of those apps. The most recent thing I could find on this is two years old, though. Is this still the case? Would it at least be 1 pull and I can call recon on the other two?
Old Nov 6, 2014, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Lifetime Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Probably a little dicey to request three Chase cards in a short time (not that it can't be done). Depends on what is more important to you, companion pass for 2yrs or UR points. I would get the two SW cards then go after the CSP after meeting min spend on the SW cards.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 6:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Jpr0930
Nothing adverse will happen. Some would say piggyback a new app on this and use it to improve odds with a CL transfer/Closure should you need a recon. But, if you have no such plans, go ahead and cancel. Your RR points will remain intact.

Excellent advice. Thank you! My AF posted a few days ago. Once that billing cycle closes and points post I will call to see about retention or maybe cancel.

On another note, anyone know how long it takes to receive Ink after approval? I'm a week out now.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by kenme1
Probably a little dicey to request three Chase cards in a short time (not that it can't be done). Depends on what is more important to you, companion pass for 2yrs or UR points. I would get the two SW cards then go after the CSP after meeting min spend on the SW cards.
I'm not after the CSP card at all. I just want to know if I should close my Sapphire first before i apply.
Old Nov 6, 2014, 9:24 pm

Programs: UA, AA, AMEX MR
I have the PRG card and i like the ANA 64k return miles J to Europe. Does Chase have anything similar in terms of transfer partners?
Old Nov 7, 2014, 6:05 am

Programs: MR, UR, AA, AS, HH Gold, SPG Gold, HGP, RR
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Excellent advice. Thank you! My AF posted a few days ago. Once that billing cycle closes and points post I will call to see about retention or maybe cancel.

On another note, anyone know how long it takes to receive Ink after approval? I'm a week out now.
I waited about 2 weeks.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
Reapplying

Originally Posted by longleaf
Anyone know what current wait times to reapply after a denial are for Chase cards?

Thanks
I had to wait 90 days and then got approved for 3 cards within 3 months.
Old Nov 7, 2014, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by dcflyer10
I have the PRG card and i like the ANA 64k return miles J to Europe. Does Chase have anything similar in terms of transfer partners?
Only Skyteam first class redemptions (KE, CZ, GA,..) through Korean Air with some fuel surcharges. First class is not available with Delta miles.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.