Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2020, 1:54 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AS MVP G*, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 889
Assuming this is true, why say it "pretty much forces the airlines to have 2 crews, stopover to change crew, or just cancel all together." That's just scare-mongering, since as you describe it, airlines will have the option to arrange testing before departure instead.
Maybe, they'll have a hard time doing in the US right now with turn around times. Unless they arrange tests in-house. Then again, wonder if they'll need the govt certification of the laboratory like they're making passengers provide.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 2:19 am

Not a problem for Cathay, since their crews are based in Hong Kong. As for United, I would guess a mega-company like that can make its own on-site testing arrangements. For all I know, perhaps they already are testing crews. Not sure about the cargo carriers. In any event, flights from the US are only a small proportion of traffic at the airport.

Nonetheless, I do think that under present conditions the Hong Kong Government would be perfectly happy to see flights at HKIA dwindle away without actually having to order the airport closed. The growing requirement of passenger testing with that unobtainable government certificate certainly pushes in that direction. If nothing else, it would open up more testing capacity for local patients.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by 889
Yet Hongkong Post is still suspending regular airmail service to the U.S., and many other destinations. (But the expensive Speedpost service is available.)

I suppose we'll know air freight rates are really down when Amazon U.S. starts offering free shipping to Hong Kong again.
The HK postal rates are so cheap (including Speedpost) that many countries had already been in conflict with HK regarding post delivery before covid.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 2:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HGHUA
Reports coming out of HK that new reqs starting the 29th will require air crew to have a covid test within 48 hours of the flight dep from origin OR submit to a test in HK and forced to wait for result or spend 48 hours in a hotel.

Inbound passengers are waiting on avg 12 hours now for initial covid test upon arrival.
This is a vast improvement relative to the current arrangements where all arriving crews have to be tested upon arrival.
This has led to many longhaul airlines cancelling their flights to HK (AF, EK, AA, UA, AC, ..) or introducing a stopover like KL in BKK. The risk being that the crew would not be able to take their next rotation out of HK if one member tests positive on arrival.
It would be easy for an airline to arrange to a test of the schedule crew one day before departure from the home base, and possibly substitue if one tests positive.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 2:53 am

Make that "HK postal rates were so cheap." There've been heavy increase in recent years. The only relative bargain remains the e-express packet, and those rates to the U.S. increased at the end of June.
HarbourGent likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 889
Make that "HK postal rates were so cheap." There've been heavy increase in recent years. The only relative bargain remains the e-express packet, and those rates to the U.S. increased at the end of June.
They are still extremely cheap compared to other developed countries.
A small letter airmail to US or Europe costs HKD4.9.
The same in France to HK costs EUR1.4 or HKD12.6. From USA to HK costs USD1.15 or HKD9.
The difference for parcels is also 2 to 4 times more expensive from abroad.
This is why the US and some other countries wanted to refuse delivery of HK post items because they were getting a raw deal
Old Jul 26, 2020, 9:54 pm

Apples and oranges: the minimum letter weights are different in Hong Kong (20g) and the U.S. (1 oz).

Mail a small 1 oz (28g) letter from Hong Kong to the U.S. airmail and it'll now cost HK$7.4, no longer far off the U.S. postage.
triplefives likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 1:11 am

Programs: SPG Platinum
Wonder if we will see more 5th freedoms created in the Wuhan flu / post-Wuhan flu world.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 5:06 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Looks like KA have just dropped Dhaka, I had a flight in late September, returning early October cancelled on me and there are no alternative flights - not really too worried as I presumed it wouldn't occur, but cancelling 2 months in advance is much earlier than most of my other flights (cancelled 2-3 weeks in advance)
Old Jul 27, 2020, 8:45 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
AM free cancel extended to 31 Oct departures for tix issued on or before 23 Mar.
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: CX Silver
Old Jul 27, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: CX GO (=SPH), IHG Diamond Amb, Hertz 5*, Accor, Hilton, National
Originally Posted by littlevoices
Looks like KA have just dropped Dhaka, I had a flight in late September, returning early October cancelled on me and there are no alternative flights - not really too worried as I presumed it wouldn't occur, but cancelling 2 months in advance is much earlier than most of my other flights (cancelled 2-3 weeks in advance)
Flights are still there for the winter schedule (26OCT onward).
littlevoices likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2020, 3:18 am

Originally Posted by percysmith
I wondered whether we need to maintain passenger air links to other destinations in the April-May list https://www.cathaypacificcargo.com/A...S/Default.aspx.
I think the demand will be less. You might still have a Japanese Citizen resident in Hong Kong who would like to return to Japan, but I think these numbers will be less and less. CX can open 1fpw or even 1 flight per month.
Latest update https://www.cathaypacificcargo.com/A...S/Default.aspx

Not every flight on the list is really accepting passenger bookings https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cath...ing-covid.html
Old Sep 5, 2020, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by 889
Agreed, HK postal rates have increased far ahead of inflation in recent years, The colonial era post office was a great legacy, very efficient and well run, but it is starting to lose its edge.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by percysmith
CX810 30 Aug
Is Bloomberg picturing Regional J on long-haul seats https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...e-like-economy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.