Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Cathay Pacific | Cathay
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Covid-19 coronavirus - effect on Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2020, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by email2markt
With CX starting to ramp up services from 20th June, I had assumed this might be in response to some preferential information they had from the gvt regarding transit rules relaxing later next month, or alternatively the airport preparing for transit lanes.

Hoping it’s an educated decision or else i’m assuming we’ll see these flights cancelled again over the coming weeks
With the British decision to impose self-quarantine on all pax, we can expect LHR flights not to get more traffic,even for transit in HKG.
Old May 23, 2020, 10:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life, SQ PPS Club, UA Gold MM
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Any word on when the Hong Kong International Airport will be open to transit passengers again? Have an upcoming trip that I would prefer to book on Cathay.
I'm still booked on Cathay for SIN-HKG-SFO on July 1, and spoke to a CX agent last week. They firmly believe the transit restriction will expire on June 20, because that's what the original order says. It's not indefinite, and apparently doesn't require government action to lift it. Hence Cathay's addition of a number of new flights starting late June, including SFO.

Of course, the government can always extend the ban beyond June 20 if they so choose. And I was speaking to a call-center worker who did not claim to have any new information one way or another from the HK government. But as of now the airline's assumption seems to be that the restriction will expire, transit will be possible, and they are selling tickets for those additional flights after that date.

I hope they are right about it.
Old May 24, 2020, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by Clack
I'm still booked on Cathay for SIN-HKG-SFO on July 1, and spoke to a CX agent last week. They firmly believe the transit restriction will expire on June 20, because that's what the original order says. It's not indefinite, and apparently doesn't require government action to lift it. Hence Cathay's addition of a number of new flights starting late June, including SFO.

Of course, the government can always extend the ban beyond June 20 if they so choose. And I was speaking to a call-center worker who did not claim to have any new information one way or another from the HK government. But as of now the airline's assumption seems to be that the restriction will expire, transit will be possible, and they are selling tickets for those additional flights after that date.

I hope they are right about it.
I think that you gave a fair represntation of the situation.
Clearly the airport had time to study how to arrange the flows of pax when the transit ban is lifted.

But the situation can evolve.
June 20 is in 4 weeks, and an early lifting is possible if international travel picks up, which is unlikely.
The covid situation in HK is good and life returning to normal. But HK performs few daily tests as capacity is limited to 4,500 or so. That is very few for a population of 7.5 million. Only cases with serious symptoms or their contacts are tested. It is hard to get tested with mild or no symptoms. As silent but contagious carriers are estimated to be some 40% of sick people, it is commonly believed that there are quite a few unreported cases who caould start a new wave as restrictions are relaxed and people get lax in their behavior. SO the mood towards relaxing restrictions could change.
Currently the authorities are dealing with repatriation from South Asia and that keeps them busy.

But yes, it seems that the current plan is to relax transit by 20 June.
email2markt likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by Clack
Thank you! That is some good news. Fingers crossed things don't change, and I wonder what will be involved in transiting HKIA.
Old May 25, 2020, 8:00 pm

Just in: Carrie Lam announced HKG will resume transit serivce starting from June 1. Details are not clear.
Alawyer, djsflynn, gpeso8 and 2 others like this.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:06 am

Perhaps it won't be an idea to march though HKG sloganeering for the re-opening of CX's lounges with the chant of "Five lounges, not one less!"

(Yeah, I know there are six lounges – 2 x Pier 2 x Wing, Bridge and Deck – but are you gonna be that person who spoils the joke?)
royng likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by djsflynn
Perhaps it won't be an idea to march though HKG sloganeering for the re-opening of CX's lounges with the chant of "Five lounges, not one less!"

(Yeah, I know there are six lounges – 2 x Pier 2 x Wing, Bridge and Deck – but are you gonna be that person who spoils the joke?)
technically it is 5 complexes. Wing F and J are linked. Bridge. deck. Pier j and pier F are
not linked - well not for front of house.
djsflynn likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 10:44 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), TK Elite (*A Gold)
Any idea when the schedule will be released that includes transit? Trying to get someone from Ho Chi Minh to China (anywhere).

Last edited by beach86; May 27, 2020 at 3:53 am
Old May 26, 2020, 11:46 pm

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
July flights have just been zeroed out today.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:20 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by midlevels
Which routes? As I have flights to NYC end of July, I was looking then, and still seems to be selling a full schedule.
Old May 27, 2020, 1:17 am

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Originally Posted by midlevels
Are you sure? Some routes have most classes zeroed but not Y, W and J.
Old May 27, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: CX Diamond (OW Emerald), former SQ Krisflyer Gold
Originally Posted by sxc
Which routes? As I have flights to NYC end of July, I was looking then, and still seems to be selling a full schedule.
Are you sure? Some routes have most classes zeroed but not Y, W and J.
Was looking at CX806/CX807 to/from ORD.

They've been zeroed out in all classes including Y/W/J.
email2markt and rickliu2000 like this.
Old May 27, 2020, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With CX starting to ramp up services from 20th June, I had assumed this might be in response to some preferential information they had from the gvt regarding transit rules relaxing later next month, or alternatively the airport preparing for transit lanes.
Do you have any link/details re planned ramp-up? I seem to recall that HKG-LAX was planned to go from currently 2x to 5x/week beginning of June, but cannot find any updated information about it.
Old May 27, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Blue/Bronze, Krisflyer, Qantas
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Do you have any link/details re planned ramp-up? I seem to recall that HKG-LAX was planned to go from currently 2x to 5x/week beginning of June, but cannot find any updated information about it.
This link has a summary of the initial changes:

https://loyaltylobby.com/2020/04/29/...until-june-30/

I’m pretty sure they released some July details too but maybe I was mistaken as I can’t find anything online although a few flights can now be found on Google flights etc
Old May 27, 2020, 7:05 pm

I wondered whether they will
extend ticket validity? Or the change must be within the original validity?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.